No announcement yet.

Will GGG's power carry to SMW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
    Yes, easily. Every time he touches an opponent, they get hurt. He spars bigger guys who all say his power is incredible. Even kovalev is on record saying that GGG has more power than himself.

I think the question is whether his power would carry up to light heavyweight.
    Kovalev reportedly got dropped by GGG in sparring, which is significant. Doug Fischer said that he saw a video of this, and it was "scary."

However, Kovalev elected to stop sparring GGG not because he got hurt, but because GGG (a friend of Kovalev's) would force Kovalev to retaliate in earnest.

Sparring isn't fighting.

Quoted from John David Jackson interview:

There’s been speculation that Sergey had a torrid time in sparring with Gennady Golovkin…

Me and Sergey talked about that. Abel [Sanchez]’s blown that out of proportion. Yes they sparred. Sergey said, ‘John, the reason I don’t want to spar the kid is because I’ve got to hurt him. He said Triple G’s a tough guy, I’ve got to hit him with everything I’ve got to keep him off me and that’s going to hurt him. We’re friends. He says then Abel tries to make it a war and that’s not what we’re in there for. ‘That’s why I refuse to spar with the kid. Why should I have a war with him when I’m not going to make any money from it?’ He said Abel starts all this stuff but said, ‘The kid’s rough. I admit that. I had to hit him with everything I have to get him off. That’s all that was.’ They’re friends.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/john...golovkin-spar/

Comment

He will fight at 168 eventually, but not yet, still business to be done at middle weight. His power will certainly carry up, this should be evident.

Comment

Of course it will. His power is going to carry all the way up to heavyweight, and he's going to knock wilder out (that's if he can reach his chin).

Comment

Yupp as soon as ward fights kovalev..

Comment

Sure his power will go to 168 but why should he go there to fight much bigger boxers. He weighed only 165 a month before his fight with Lemieux. Lemieux weighed 176.5 which is a more typical weight for a middleweight 30 days before the fight. He is a small middleweight so he should just stay at 160 and beat everybody at 160 the way Hopkins and Hagler did. I am sure he would knock Ward out but it's a pointless fight for him. Ward would probably out weigh him by at least 15 pounds on fight night. Ward is a low dollar fight and a win over Ward does nothing for his goal of getting all the 160 pound belts. Ward wants GGG to come up 8 pounds to 168 but Ward refuses to go up 3 pounds to fight Kovalev at 175. Ward's last fight was at 172 pounds at Ward's request. If Ward is going to stay at 168 then he needs to fight the other 168 pound champs like GGG is trying to do at middleweight.

Comment

Even if his power carried over his compact frame would be a burden. Think of Arthur Abraham and how upon moving up to 168 his style shriveled up so much because of his range disadvantage.

Comment

There's no way to tell. When team ggg was presented an opportunity to fight a quality 168lber (Ward), they passed

Comment

Too bad Froch and Chavez JR didn't man up or we'd already know.

Comment

Guys will just take it better.

His power will still be the same. He should get more than a few TKOs there.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
                      There's no way to tell. When team ggg was presented an opportunity to fight a quality 168lber (Ward), they passed
                      No, they offered 164 and Ward turned it down. Furthermore, Ward is a 172 pound fighter until he shows that he can actually make 168 and based on recent articles, he is officially considering himself a LHW.

The question should really be will Ward be able to handle the power of 175 pound fighters?

Comment

Working...
                      X