Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mikey Garcia: I Wouldn't Sign With Golden Boy to Get Cotto Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why boxing is ****ed up.

The promoters want to tie the boxers down. And they will freeze out any fighter who tries to function as a free agent like Mikey is doing.

Comment

Maybe, but then again, maybe not

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
      Doesn't sound promising for Garcia vs Linares either, then
      If Linares backs out, he loses the WBC 135lb belt, and likely has to head on the road to Manchester again to fight Terry Flanagan to fight for the WBO 135 belt.

Maybe he likes being on the road all of the time.

Comment

If it will earn you $10 mil for one fight, why not? Enough to give you a comfortable retirement.

As opposed to getting small-time fights for $600K per fight in 10 years. Or put on the shelf fighting once a year.

It's simple arithmetic.

Comment

Poor Mikey.

Is this kind of practise by a promoter illegal and in direct violation of the Ali act?

I'm certain promoters cannot force their already contracted fighters to a longer deal if they face another opponent so coercing new fighters into a contract should be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            Except that it's a cash grab for Golden Boy too.

Cotto is on his way out; he's still a draw in NYC, but Sadam Ali isn't going to make it an event.

Mikey Garcia would've; Mexican vs Puerto Rican, a big 135lber vs a solid 154lber, both fighters with strong profiles in NYC, and a high-skills fight regardless of size.

Cotto will get whatever is owed to him, and Ali won't come for a steep price, but Cotto-Garcia may have been twice the fight.
            Sadam Ali is a GBP fighter so at the very least they fulfill two commitments by having Ali instead of Garcia. Cotto-Garcia isn't a ppv fight either so who knows if they had the budget on HBO for it. And if Ali pulls off the upset they have the winner under contract while if Garcia wins then all Golden Boy got was the event and Garcia walks away.

Plus Ali is local Olympian with a nice fan base.

We don't know what the terms of the contract was but he could have given GBP 2 options on him, one of which would be for Linares afterwards. If it was a short term deal like that it wouldn't be too bad.

Besides that, what does Garcia expect? He isn't a huge draw and isn't doing GBP any favors and they take all the monetary risk in the fight and future. He should have give them 1 or 2 fight options. That may have sealed the deal

Comment

Listen people are acting like this is new...even when Promoter A works with Promoter B, 75% of the time Promoter A takes future fight options on Promoter B's fighter. This is pretty standard in boxing. It's why you'll see x fighter in top rank events even if he isn't a top rank fighter. It's leverage on the part of the main promoter saying "I like this kid and would use him on more cards if I can find the right opponent for him. So i'm going to give him one of my main guys, if he performs well I have the option to match him up again."

GBP giving Garcia a future hall of famer with nothing in return only benefits Garcia not GBP, so it's smart business. The people bashing this shouldn't ever go into business...
              Last edited by turnedup; 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Boxing says you gotta sell your soul to get the big fights. Most people knew Mikey wasn't getting that fight unless he signed some deal with GBP.

Sadly that's how boxing works today. Either you get short changed on your value or you gotta give up your freedom to get the big fights.

Promoters have far too much power in boxing and prevent more big fights under the guise of getting their worth while the participants in the ring and fans get the short end of the stick.

F#cked up boxing works like this.

Comment

Don't even know why some people treat these fighters like they're babies that need to be protected.

It's not like these things don't happen in everyday circumstances. You are an actor, for example, and have a tv show. And you're offered to play a role in a movie that will only last 3-6 months, but it's a chance for a potential Oscar winning performance. It's not like a gun is being pointed on your forehead. Similar things happen in many different kinds of jobs or professions. It's a balancing act.

You take risks. No one is forcing you to. Employers have their own preconditions. They have investments to protect.

The question is why is Garcia mentioning this? You simply say no and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post

Because they're a company open for business you fůcktard dumshít.

You're not doing better on your own and you'll continue to do shít on your own. You're not Mayweather.

I get it, Garcia wants money --- but thats all him and his camp talk about...money money money.

You need blue chip promoters to broker big fight deals. Ward never could have gotten Kovaquit w/o it. Super dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
                      Poor Mikey.

Is this kind of practise by a promoter illegal and in direct violation of the Ali act?

I'm certain promoters cannot force their already contracted fighters to a longer deal if they face another opponent so coercing new fighters into a contract should be no different.
                      He's no their fighter so they aren't extending his deal, they are offering him a fight with the caveat being they'd like to match him up against their stable after this fight or co-promote a fight for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X