Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Groves: The point must be made...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better comparison would have been Floyd vs Maidana. A skilled boxer against a one dimensional fighter whose only chance was make it ugly. Although Floyd never hurt Maidana.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Dude. Groves was holding on for dear life rounds 8 - 12 and you know it.

Which is fine. I'm okay with the tactic. I'm not okay with people who are blind to the fact that Saunders, Groves, Floyd, Horn and Rungvisai all used the same tactics to essentially nullify their one-dimensional opponents. I'm tired of people calling one fighter "running" and the other not when they're both moving around the ring.
      No, I don't know it. Don't become another moron who starts threads with "I think we can all agree". You know that will be some dumb bull****. On my card that I was keeping live, Groves won 8-11. So, no, he was not 'holding on for dear life'. Most fighters start holding in the later rounds of fights as they get tired. Both of them were guilty of it.

I'm not going to continue this silly argument. Your favorite fighters have flaws and some of the criticisms are warranted. Same applies to my favorites. There's no perfect fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
        No, I don't know it. Don't become another moron who starts threads with "I think we can all agree". You know that will be some dumb bull****. On my card that I was keeping live, Groves won 8-11. So, no, he was not 'holding on for dear life'. Most fighters start holding in the later rounds of fights as they get tired. Both of them were guilty of it.
        Clinches are counted by the initiator. 8-11 that was Groves.

You can like a fighter all you want. Don't make excuses for then doing what was a solid strategy - because if he hadn't clinched like he did, Eubank would have caught him with something. Fair play to Groves.

My point is, if you want to give Groves credit for a solid nullifying strategy, give Floyd, Saunders, Rungvisai, Horn, etc. the same credit for the same strategy.

Done.

Comment

lol the score wasnt close Eubanks won 3 rds at most. Groves looked very sluggish and slow in his past few fights. Glad to see him look alot more sharp this fight.

Pacman didn't shawn porter smother Floyd. Eubanks did shawn porter smother Groves. Forehead in chest what do you want the guy to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Shako93 View Post
            lol the score wasnt close Eubanks won 3 rds at most. Groves looked very sluggish and slow in his past few fights. Glad to see him look alot more sharp this fight.

Pacman didn't shawn porter smother Floyd. Eubanks did shawn porter smother Groves. Forehead in chest what do you want the guy to do?
            I gave Manny 4 rounds.

I gave Eubank 3 rounds.

Aside from that, fight styles to me are moot. The reality is:

Groves used the clinch as a tactic to nullify aggression.

Floyd used the clinch as a tactic to nullify aggression.

Groves was constantly on the move to stay away from Eubank's shots.

Floyd was constantly on the move to stay away from Manny's shots.

Groves threw Eubank into the ropes to get him off.

Jeff Horn threw Manny backwards to get him off.

Groves headbutted Eubank because it's opposite stance.

Horn heabutted Manny because it's opposite stance.

Rungvisai headbutted Choco because it's opposite stance.

It's all the same damn thing and the victors all deserve equal respect for CLEARLY BEATING their overrated opposition.

I'm just sick of people calling one fight a robbery and one not when the tactics were the exact same - one fighter showed up, the other didn't.

Comment

Lol a fight between 2 super middleweights happening in England and somehow someone manages to shoehorn Floyd into the dicussion

Comment

floyd manny avatar, floyd manny signature, still making floyd manny threads this far out... wow... some people are real suckers for marketing

most of us turned that too little/too late ****show off half way through and went to bed, but for a few it was the most memorable night of their lives

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                  Lol a fight between 2 super middleweights happening in England and somehow someone manages to shoehorn Floyd into the dicussion
                  You can put Jeff Horn in there if you want. It doesn't change the hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                  X