Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: James Toney Was The Man - But I Annihilated Him!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killakali View Post
    No fighter from the list of last 25 years is an ATG top 10 fighter of all time probably not top 10 either. Toney isn't a top 50 atg but at his time he was really good and made it to #1 p4p. And that list was by ESPN. One man's opinion
    I agree man. We on the same side on that.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
      How about over 15 future, current, and former world champions at the time, and you mention Hopkins was early which is BS because both were top contenders fighting for a world title and Jones won despite having a fractured wrist.
      So are we going to not say Hopkins got better with age and went on to unify the light heavyweight division in his mid 40s? And he beat roy in the rematch. But other than that I agree with your statement.

Comment

You obviously dont know **** about Jones and his career. 1. Murad Muhammad went to Germany to negotiate a fight in Germany between the two and DM's promoter and Universum head Klaus Peter Kohl wanted to pay DM double what they were offering Jones. Jones was being offered the usual 5Mill he normally makes, DM was to get either 8Mill or 10Mill.

2. DM was scheduled to fight Telesco on ESPN to build his brand in the US and Marty Mulcahy even showed the scheduling of the fight on his fight schedule on fight news dot com. DM pulled out because there was not enough money. This was during the time when Telesco was a top contender.

3. DM was offered a co main event on HBO but declined due to the money, despite the fact that he could have parlayed that into huge cash and a top fight against Jones.

4. Klaus Peter Kohl was often unavailable for phone calls, this fact was documented through research by fight news dot com.

An article:

In 2001, Roy's advisor Brad Jacobs, met with Kerry Davis VP for HBO, and they tried desperately to make the fight.

Peter Kohl who was DM's advisor was never available to sit down and discuss terms. He was also never available via phone, and he wouldn't even name a figure to get the ball rolling.

HBO also proposed the idea of a double header to hype the fight. A lot of U.S. fans had hardly seen DM fight, so HBO wanted to put both fighters on the same bill, to stir interest in a fight.

This was turned down by Kohl.

If DM and Kohl had've been serious about a fight, they never would have turned down that opportunity.

Murad Muhammad gave an interview in 2003, and he said that DM was asking for a $6M purse, and he was making between $1-1.5M per fight in Germany.

According to an interview a few years back with Roy, HBO actually offered DM $5M, and he turned it down.

All you have to do, is go and look at DM's resume, to see how serious he was about fighting the likes of Roy, Tarver and Harding etc. He never left his comfort zone in Germany. He was happy defending his WBO belt for decent money against C class fighters, some of which had already been beaten easily by Roy.

If DM and Kohl had wanted Roy bad enough, they'd have agreed to the double header, which was a great idea, and then afterwards they'd have fought Roy.

Instead they turned down the opportunity to instead fight Hall, Harmon and De Grandis.

That's how bad they wanted Roy.

They turned down $5M for Roy, to fight Joey De Grandis for $1-1.5M.

DM was all talk.

And the Ruiz fight was years past the expiration date for the Dariusz fight who lost the same year and hung up his gloves 2 years later.

So cut the "Hmmmmm" crap because you dont know ****, that is very obvious.
        Long story short, the fight did not happen and roy went on to fight fat ruiz and got folded by tarver. Is that ok with you?

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
          So are we going to not say Hopkins got better with age and went on to unify the light heavyweight division in his mid 40s? And he beat roy in the rematch. But other than that I agree with your statement.
          Boxing age is not chronological age. Jones and Hopkins were in top form fighting for the middleweight title. When they fought years later, Jones was far more past it than Hopkins. At or near their prime, they fought and Jones won.

Comment

Long story short, the fight did not happen and roy went on to fight fat ruiz and got folded by tarver. Is that ok with you?
            No it isnt because you havent "shortened" the backstory at all, in fact you went off on a completely unrelated tangent which has nothing to do with the history of the two fighters. Nor are the DM and Ruiz events directly connected events as you implied. Consider yourself educated now about the Jones/DM history. You're welcome. I wont charge you this time. Next time it is cash or PayPal only, no checks.
            Last edited by richardt; 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
              Hughie Fury says 'hello'
              I refuse to put H Fury and R Jones in the same sentence. Just can't.

Comment

Boxing age is not chronological age. Jones and Hopkins were in top form fighting for the middleweight title. When they fought years later, Jones was far more past it than Hopkins. At or near their prime, they fought and Jones won.
                You're mad Hopkins kinda had two primes. What he did in his 40s was ridiculous. Respect to B Hop!

Comment

No it isnt because you havent "shortened" the backstory at all, in fact you went off on a completely unrelated tangent which has nothing to do with the history of the two fighters. Nor are the DM and Ruiz events directly connected events as you implied. Consider yourself educated now about the Jones/DM history. You're welcome. I wont charge you this time. Next time it is cash or PayPal only, no checks.
                  Thanks for the lesson, the fight still didn't happen no fault to jones.

Comment

You're mad Hopkins kinda had two primes. What he did in his 40s was ridiculous. Respect to B Hop!
                    Not mad, in fact BHOP won my heart years ago. His entire attitude about the body being a temple and how he buys his groceries at Whole Foods and eats fresh food and doesnt have any vices blew me away. His discipline levels are amazing and beyond almost any fighter I have ever seen and maybe every fighter I have ever seen. He did lose to Jones when it counted the most. But he is still one of my 10 favorite fighters ever.
                    Last edited by richardt; 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Don't get him started, Roy !

Comment

Working...
                      X