Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamed vs Broner: Who took the bigger piece of the humble pie?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    Naz took his loss like a man, he'll always get credit for that. What was Broner's excuse for running from the ring?
    WHAT?!? hamed took such an all-encompassing loss that he quit boxing in his prime.

Comment

that humble pie was cut in two equal parts, but as hamed was to take his piece broner took 3 big bites out of hamed share.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
        WHAT?!? hamed took such an all-encompassing loss that he quit boxing in his prime.
        lol that's not true.

Comment

That's a tough one.

Broner took a worse beating. Hamed was more completely outclassed. Broner has fought since and likely will in the future. Hamed retired after his schooling.

Hamed by a little imo.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            lol that's not true.
            um, how so?

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
              That's a tough one.

Broner took a worse beating. Hamed was more completely outclassed. Broner has fought since and likely will in the future. Hamed retired after his schooling.

Hamed by a little imo.
              Completely outclassed? I love how history rewrites itself with this fight. It was a pretty competitive fight throughout and i believe two judges had it very close.

Also, Barrera was reluctant to fight with Naz, but merely threw more punches. That's more or less how he won the fight. It was a good fight.

On top of that, Naz had to boil himself down 10 pounds or so the night before. But that's his own problem.

um, how so?
              If that was the case, then why did he fight another fight? It's a lazy depiction of what actually occurred.

What really happened was that Naz had had hand injuries for a while. He'd also had weight problems. he also had made a furtune. Something like $50 million. After the barrera fight, HBO weren't extending the contract and his adidas deal fell through but most importantly, Naz just didn't really want it anymore.

It had nothing to do with the loss itself.

Comment

Completely outclassed? I love how history rewrites itself with this fight. It was a pretty competitive fight throughout and i believe two judges had it very close.

Also, Barrera was reluctant to fight with Naz, but merely threw more punches. That's more or less how he won the fight. It was a good fight.

On top of that, Naz had to boil himself down 10 pounds or so the night before. But that's his own problem.

If that was the case, then why did he fight another fight? It's a lazy depiction of what actually occurred.

What really happened was that Naz had had hand injuries for a while. He'd also had weight problems. he also had made a furtune. Something like $50 million. After the barrera fight, HBO weren't extending the contract and his adidas deal fell through but most importantly, Naz just didn't really want it anymore.

so hbo not extending his contract and adidas not signing him had nothing to do with him losing?

Comment

Dude, if anyone is a revisionist here, it's you.

Barrera outboxed Hamed pretty much every minute of every round. He dictated the pace and style of the fight the whole way through. If that were not the case, he risked being KO'd. Then toward the end Barrera threw away a point (or risked it. can't remember if it was actually taken) to physically humiliate Naz by running him head first into the corner pad. Looked like something out of a scripted wrestling match.

By the end of the fight Naz was meek as they come. Even in the post fight interview, what little bravado he could muster sounded phony. Why? Because he had been dominated by a much better fighter.

As for hands, weight, "he was past prime", etc., that **** just sounds like excuses to me.

I remember the fight before Barrera as well and he KO'd the dude brutally in like 4 rounds. He looked like the same guy KO'd Kelly to me...

I will give you that he did fight once after. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember something about a non televised (at least over here) fight against a no-hoper or something and it didn't go like it was supposed to? Or? Anyway Naz faded away after that. Or?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    so hbo not extending his contract and adidas not signing him had nothing to do with him losing?
                    Possibly, but obviously that still means his retirement at best was an indirect result of the loss

Comment

He quit boxing because he didn't give a **** about it anymore. He'd amassed a ridiculous amount of money which he invested well and didn't need to fight any more especially as he'd just started a family. He was constantly injuring his hands and barely trained for the Barrera fight. Some of the sparring videos of him were quite embarrassing.

I'd understand if Barrera had put some kind of frightful career ending beatdown on him but he really didn't. He carefully outboxed him to and 8-4ish decision. He studied Naz meticulously and fought to a strict gameplan. Whilst Naz thought he'd brawl like he did against Morales and eventually get taken out.

People give Barrera far too much credit for that fight and the aftermath. Naz was already half way out the door well before that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X