Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime, Premier Boxing Champions Finalize New 3-Year Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Star Platinum View Post
    Not a fan of non Premium TV fights due to the low production value, constant commercials, constant censorship of the corners, and the lame commentators.

But hey, broke boys gotta get their fix somehow
    That will change once licensing fees are paid, alt.

Comment

BTW I agree with WBA WBC IBF... he nailed it. PBC never needed every network. They needed 1 major network and one cable outlet. They have a major now and two cable nets. Haymon wins. Bob is relegated to streaming ESPN+ and Eddie on DAZN. Nice platforms but really limited viewership for now. Al has a real budget to spend on fighters and very little overhead (ex whatever he has to pay his investors over time). But you can't argue real value isn't created here now. Fighters have big exposure, multiple dates and for them $$$$$. Eddie can't sign anyone because uncle Al told them to be patient and he generally doesn't screw his guys. Now he has a war chest equal to Eddie (I'd guess) with a much bigger platform.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
        What I've been saying for years is that HBO would get pushed out of boxing. Everyone said I was crazy, but I don't look crazy anymore. Every year that goes by, HBO Boxing grows closer and closer to extinction.
        I think its more so HBO CHOOSING to distance itself from boxing rather than being forced out of boxing. They've been cutting their budget for boxing significantly over the past 5 years or so. I remember reading something not too long ago about HBO completely doing away with HBO sports in a few years

Comment

Is it just me or there something total racial about anti-PBC/Al Hyamon rhetoric?
          Anyways..... More boxing is always good! PBC has the stars. Right now I'd say it goes: 1. Showtime 2. ESPN.... and thats pretty much it. HBO is gone, and I dont care to see Jorge Linares or Ryan Garcia on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
            Where did everybody go that insisted PBC was dead?
            This 3yr deal extension means what exactly? PBC gonna lose some main event fighters before January..wait for it

Comment

Originally posted by greeneye99 View Post
              This 3yr deal extension means what exactly? PBC gonna lose some main event fighters before January..wait for it

Comment

Originally posted by slu View Post
                BTW I agree with WBA WBC IBF... he nailed it. PBC never needed every network. They needed 1 major network and one cable outlet. They have a major now and two cable nets. Haymon wins. Bob is relegated to streaming ESPN+ and Eddie on DAZN. Nice platforms but really limited viewership for now. Al has a real budget to spend on fighters and very little overhead (ex whatever he has to pay his investors over time). But you can't argue real value isn't created here now. Fighters have big exposure, multiple dates and for them $$$$$. Eddie can't sign anyone because uncle Al told them to be patient and he generally doesn't screw his guys. Now he has a war chest equal to Eddie (I'd guess) with a much bigger platform.
                Dates? Lol
                Haymon wins a how?
                If you have no opponents to fight what does all those dates mean?
                Tank...
                Errol Spence can't get any fights or dates

Comment

Originally posted by slu View Post
                  Think of it this way, say there are 8-10 main fox channel shows in a year (slightly less than one a month) uncle Al has plenty of good fighters to fill the rest of those dates. But Fox is paying a bigger deal so of course they want priority on the best say 5-6 of those fights for network television. Showtime will likely get a good fights, but they aren't going to get the fights they were putting on CBS. Those will go to Fox. That's the scuttle. Seems really reasonable if your Haymon, your big bad best non PPV fights you want in 100 mln households. That's a huge carrot to the fighters. If Fox is going to cross promote as Dan has indicated in his article, you aren't cross promoting Sergio Mora, your cross promoting Errol Spence and the Charlos, Wilder, etc. Fox is using other assets which Showtime doesn't have (like the NFL and Nascar) like they did with the UFC.
                  There's not going to 8-10 FOX cards though. 6-8 were the rumors, but likely around 6 than 8. UFC was only getting 4 big FOX cards a year.

No one knows if FOX is paying for a bigger deal or not. And even so, it may be they want more dates on FS1, not necessarily on FOX. If SHO was already paying around 45-50 million for PBC rights fees, you would think that number only increases with this new extension.

I never said FOX wouldn't get good cards, they will. But I don't see SHO getting FS1 level cards. Not at all. They will put around 15-20 cards, far more than what FOX will be on their big network. You don't do that to get lesser level cards.

Comment

Lose them to who, exactly?

Looks like Little Eddie can’t sign anyone (except Tevin Farmer lol) and HBO isn’t going to sign anyone except maybe another season of True Detective and a Game of Thrones spinoff.

Fighters on ESPN- and DaysInn are gonna have their faces on milk cartons soon enough as they’re going to go missing to the general public.

Comment

Dates? Lol
                      Haymon wins a how?
                      If you have no opponents to fight what does all those dates mean?
                      Tank...
                      Errol Spence can't get any fights or dates
                      Huh? With more dates you will get more fights. The issue isn't getting opponents, just that SHO just doesn't have enough dates to keep everyone active. Spence will likely get the winner of Porter/Garcia and fight Mikey before that. The Mikey fight just may get pushed to 2019, but that's because of the amount of PPVs taking place from September to the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                      X