Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a Ruiz vs Joshua rematch have to be in the UK?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I've just heard of rematch + option deals when a guy actually wins the rematch. Generally we don't get past the rematch is the thing. The L gets avenged & maybe the guy has a bs fight with the promoter or the promoter just opts out of the option at that point cuz there is no value in keeping him around necessarily for what the pay range is for that option.

And sh^t man I think you are discounting Joshua's drawing power. I think the rematch is the most likely route myself, but Joshua could fight David Price next & people will show up in the UK to see it.
    I never Joshua won't draw, because he will. However, I'm talking about his spot among the other top HWs and his negotiation power if he was to fight say Fury or Wilder. Having those belts is pretty important.

Comment

Bet they can sell out the Cowboy Stadium in Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        I never Joshua won't draw, because he will. However, I'm talking about his spot among the other top HWs and his negotiation power if he was to fight say Fury or Wilder. Having those belts is pretty important.
        He's lost leverage for sure, belts are bs these days but they still hold value.

Thing is he's still the most popular fighter in the HW division by a decent margin I feel like. Idk that a L is changing that.

If he dips more than maybe that changes, but right now he's Tyson post-Buster. He's not lost a lot of fans & for some people Joshua losing might make them like him more.

The main thing that got hurt is his potential in the US I feel like. I'm trying to think of guys who had some potential superstar ability who came to the US & lost in their debut fight (like this or just clearly) & still become a big US draw or didn't damage their rep in the US & not coming up with any names. I mean if Manny lost that debut HBO fight vs that Ledwaba guy back in the day does he get a 2nd chance in the US or does he become the guy he became? Idk, but I'd probably bet against it. If GGG loses to Rosado does he become the star he became? Lil different I guess cuz Joshua gots star power in the UK that can't be taken away, but his next fight in the US needs to be a big fight & a big W or he's not gonna get that sexy US money.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          He's lost leverage for sure, belts are bs these days but they still hold value.

Thing is he's still the most popular fighter in the HW division by a decent margin I feel like. Idk that a L is changing that.

If he dips more than maybe that changes, but right now he's Tyson post-Buster. He's not lost a lot of fans & for some people Joshua losing might make them like him more.

The main thing that got hurt is his potential in the US I feel like. I'm trying to think of guys who had some potential superstar ability who came to the US & lost in their debut fight (like this or just clearly) & still become a big US draw or didn't damage their rep in the US & not coming up with any names. I mean if Manny lost that debut HBO fight vs that Ledwaba guy back in the day does he get a 2nd chance in the US or does he become the guy he became? Idk, but I'd probably bet against it. If GGG loses to Rosado does he become the star he became? Lil different I guess cuz Joshua gots star power in the UK that can't be taken away, but his next fight in the US needs to be a big fight & a big W or he's not gonna get that sexy US money.
          He is still the most popular fighter no doubt. The loss won't matter as much if he has those belts, that's for sure.

Like you said, big difference is that Joshua has more star power than GGG and Pacquiao did coming to the states. I think his star power will still be fine as long as he handles business in the rematch.

Comment

Working...
          X