No announcement yet.

Pulev vs Dinu Averages 469,000 Viewers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
    I wouldn't say the fighters themselves are the problems...It's the match ups.

Pulev-Dinu? Gvozdyk-Ngumu? Ngumu is arguably worse than any fighter Stevenson had ever defended his belt against. (And we both know how much ***** they gave him for those defenses)

These guys are not the kind of fighters that should be headling cards against opposition like that. Only fighters like Lomachenko can get away with it and still do decent numbers. If Arum really wants to build these guys into stars, he's gotta match them up much tougher. These two cards with these two fights headlining as main events back to back is literally a waste of money and horrible for the sport. Put it on an undercard at the very least.
    But that's why I said they are just card fillers. ESPN has a certain amount of dates it has to fill every year. They don't have a large and deep enough stable to fill it with quality every time out so you will get this. And to be fair, not sure any stable is large enough to fill 30 quality cards a year. But a promoter will gladly take as many dates as offered so knowing they are up against it with March Madness going on, they put on two non-competitive cards. They will save Gvozdyk against a better opponent on another date that will draw as many eyeballs as possible.

Comment

Pulev-Dinu? Gvozdyk-Ngumu? Ngumu is arguably worse than any fighter Stevenson had ever defended his belt against. (And we both know how much ***** they gave him for those defenses)

These guys are not the kind of fighters that should be headling cards against opposition like that. Only fighters like Lomachenko can get away with it and still do decent numbers. If Arum really wants to build these guys into stars, he's gotta match them up much tougher. These two cards with these two fights headlining as main events back to back is literally a waste of money and horrible for the sport. Put it on an undercard at the very least.
      95% of people take a "soft touch" as their first title defense. Don't throw shade at Nail for doing what everyone else does.

Comment

maaan if you don't get out with that nonsense. chickenson spent years fighting trash opposition this gvzodyk's first fight since he turned chickenson into a vegetable. ESPN have dates they need to fill out more boxing the better at least it's not 75 ppv like that mikey vs spence debacle.

Comment

Those ratings are terrible for ESPN horrible

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            95% of people take a "soft touch" as their first title defense. Don't throw shade at Nail for doing what everyone else does.
            See, you didn't thoroughly grasp my post.

I don't have a problem with the fight, I understand. But why is it headling a card on ESPN? It's not a headline period. He's not the attraction to get away with that. If that's the headline imagine the undercard?

If he's going to headline a card on ESPN, it better be against a decent opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBeastO View Post
              maaan if you don't get out with that nonsense. chickenson spent years fighting trash opposition this gvzodyk's first fight since he turned chickenson into a vegetable. ESPN have dates they need to fill out more boxing the better at least it's not 75 ppv like that mikey vs spence debacle.
              But headlining on ESPN with that fight? Are you serious?

At least Stevenson was a legit draw. People can say what they say, he was popular and he knocked people out. Plus his resume wasn't that bad, he beat some decent fighters. Gvozdyk's best win is a fight he was arguably losing against a 41 year old Stevenson before he gassed in round 11 and got caught. He doesn't have the same luxury.

Gvozdyk isn't at the status yet he needs to build to that. No reason for him to be headlining a card against an opponent like this. If this was an undercard fight somewhere no problem.

Comment

Right, just look at who Caleb Plant is fighting next. Nail can take on this stay busy type of fight. Hopefully he unifies later in the year.

Comment

See, you didn't thoroughly grasp my post.

I don't have a problem with the fight, I understand. But why is it headling a card on ESPN? It's not a headline period. He's not the attraction to get away with that. If that's the headline imagine the undercard?

If he's going to headline a card on ESPN, it better be against a decent opponent.
                  gvozdyk just destroyed chickenson he's now the wbc and lineal champion at light heavyweight he's the man in his division a division with a lot of history and prestige he's no longer an undercard fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBeastO View Post
                    gvozdyk just destroyed chickenson he's now the wbc and lineal champion at light heavyweight he's the man in his division a division with a lot of history and prestige he's no longer an undercard fighter.
                    Ok cool, if he's no longer an undercard fighter and is "the man in his division" we'll see how his numbers come in against a garbage fighter.

Gvozdyk vs. Jack would be a great competitive fight though if you ask me

Comment

At least Stevenson's first soft touch was vs a former title holder

Comment

Working...
                      X