No announcement yet.

lead left as opposed to the jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
    I am confusing you guys, you are both right. I was talking more about using the jab as a KO punch and torqueing alot of body into it. I guess kinda like vlad klit. Just wondering if anyone throws a jab with bad intentions or do most of you just use it as your supposed to...
    A jab should always be thrown with authority. A weak feeler-type jab serves little purpose. If you have trouble generating power from the jab, then its most likely a matter of technique. I would get with a trainer or other fighter in the gym who knows how to throw a proper jab. The jab isn't just a set-up punch, but rather the most important weapon a fighter has, so its definitely worth learning to throw it.

Comment

he's talking about the left mosley was using against cotto.. i think its a good weapon to have in your toolbox . watch cotto vs mosley to see how it's done right

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
        A jab should always be thrown with authority. A weak feeler-type jab serves little purpose. If you have trouble generating power from the jab, then its most likely a matter of technique. I would get with a trainer or other fighter in the gym who knows how to throw a proper jab. The jab isn't just a set-up punch, but rather the most important weapon a fighter has, so its definitely worth learning to throw it.
        dude, I think you are totally confused or something, I am saying my jab sometimes can be too powerful and does not set up my right properly. I apreciate all the advice though...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyAlien View Post
          he's talking about the left mosley was using against cotto.. i think its a good weapon to have in your toolbox . watch cotto vs mosley to see how it's done right
          YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
            What he is talking about is not what you are talking about. Some guys throw a more loaded jab from a conventional stance.... Klitscho being one of them. My concern with it is that I get a lot of power from my right straight from the downward angle it takes and the distance it has to build speed, with a left "straight" I don't see that happening without opening one's self up to a right counter punch... Klitscho did it well though, so it's not to be said it couldn't be done, I just wouldn't recommend a new person to use it, I have eaten several counter punches throwing left hooks, it's all timing and learning when and when not to throw it.
            I here you bud, but I am not saying I am "new" necessarily but experimenting with some new techniques...

Thank you for your time and sage advice.

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
              dude, I think you are totally confused or something, I am saying my jab sometimes can be too powerful and does not set up my right properly. I apreciate all the advice though...
              Very good then. I was sort of confused with what you were saying from post to post. You first indicated that you were popping guys heads back too much with your jab and then you asked if anybody throws their jab with bad intentions or if they "just used it as their supposed to." I understood the latter comment to mean "other than with bad intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
                Very good then. I was sort of confused with what you were saying from post to post. You first indicated that you were popping guys heads back too much with your jab and then you asked if anybody throws their jab with bad intentions or if they "just used it as their supposed to." I understood the latter comment to mean "other than with bad intentions."
                ahhh...clarity

LOL

thanks

Comment

There's a time and a place for the lead straight but IMO it's not often. I think of it like the overhand punch or the uppercut; learn it and have it there when you need it.

Comment

I use the lead left fairly often, usually to stophit an advancing opponent. Also i've had some success with a "rising" lead left to the opponents throat.

Comment

moselys left? are you ****ing kidding me. His jab looks like a ****ing powder punch, IMO. Instead look at cotto's jab in the same fight, now thats a good jab.

Comment

Working...
                      X