No announcement yet.

Who had the most stamina?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had the most stamina?

Of the heavyweight greats of all time, who had the most stamina? Of course, I'm referring to the ability to just keep going at a good pace. Not necessarily heart, but physical stamina.

Names that come to mind:

Joe Frazier - still had good power in later rounds.
    Rocky Marciano - could punch until the cows came home.
    Muhammad Ali - had the ability to finish guys off in the 15th.

While I've listed three obvious contenders, with very limited explanations, I expect much more from you!

Let the discussions begin.

James Toney.........

Comment

That was the first post I was expecting...

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel
        That was the first post I was expecting...
        OK....well I have to say seriously Holyfield in his hayday had great stamina or was it more heart.......probably more heart but there is no substitute for that no matter how many rounds you can go in the 12 rd max era.

Comment

Rocky Marciano

Comment

Marciano, Frazier... Ali when he was in condition was really fit too shown by his ability to move fluidly for 15 rounds, but not in the vicinity of the other two.
            Last edited by Heckler; 05-25-2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

not to favor my favorite fighter inparticularly but Rocky Marciano probably had the best stamina ever. He was able to punch as hard in the 15th as he did in 1st.

Comment

henry armstrong..

Comment

Holyfield never had great natural stamina, but he was all heart.

I'll go with Marciano at #1. Gene Tunney is one who hasn't been mentioned yet. Tunney was actually capable of dancing for a longer stretch of time than Ali was.

Comment

old school, stanley Ketchell and Henry Armstrong.

What about Graziano or Marvin Hagler. Sharmba Mitchell always shows up in shape.

You cant fight if you dont have the gas. It amazes me how many times guys show up to fights and are gassed in the middle rounds.

I have been guilty of this. Took a fight with no time in the gym, just needed some cash. Got fighting with this guy and my skill level was so much greater than his. Rockin' him with jabs and dropping rights and landing flush at will. Then I got tired. That dude ****ed me up for the rest of the fight. Right eyes swelled up huge and I think that I fractured my colar bone in the fight. Never got it checked by a doctor because the money went to the rent and I really didnt feel it until we were driving home and the adrenaline wore off. Show up in shape and you can show them what you got. Show up outa shape and your showing them a punching bag.

Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X