No announcement yet.

Nets fire Avery Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Nets fire Avery Johnson

The Brooklyn Nets have relieved Avery Johnson of his coaching duties, general manager Billy King announced Thursday.

P.J. Carlesimo has been named the interim coach, a source told ESPN.

Johnson, who was in the final year of his contract, was named Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for October and November following an 11-4 start. But the Nets have won just three of their last 13 games in December, prompting the team to go in another direction.

The Nets, at 14-14, currently hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

"The Nets ownership would like to express thanks to Avery for his efforts and to wish him every success in the future," principal owner Mikhail Prokhorov said.

The Nets' season took a turn for the worse when center Brook Lopez, who was playing the best basketball of his career, missed seven games due to a sprained right foot. The Nets went 2-5 in his absence, and have gone just 2-5 since his return. They have not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 28.

More than a week ago, star point guard Deron Williams, who is having the worst season of his career, criticized Johnson's isolation-heavy offensive system, saying he felt uncomfortable.

After Tuesday's 93-76 loss to the Boston Celtics, CEO Brett Yormark tweeted that "Nets fans deserved better," though he later clarified through a team spokesman that he wasn't just referring to the team's on-court performance.

The Nets spent $330 million in the offseason to upgrade their roster as they moved into their first season at the $1 billion Barclays Center, but have certainly not lived up to lofty expectations.

Prokhorov said before the start of the 2012-13 campaign that a successful season would be defined by a possible trip to the Eastern Conference finals.

Johnson was named coach of the Nets on June 15, 2010. In two-plus seasons with the Nets, Johnson compiled a record of 60-116.

Backup center Andray Blatche was among the first of the Nets players to react to the news, posting on Twitter: "Thanx coach Avery for everything."

Johnson's son, Avery Jr., voiced his displeasure over his father's dismissal with tweets of his own.

"The expectations were way to high for this team. We didn't even have a losing record.... Didn't even give my dad a full season. #OUTRAGE" he tweeted.

"I'm sorry are best players couldn't make open shots. Yeah that's my dads fault totally..."

Deron Williams strikes again.
    Last edited by Konstantin; 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM.

They are so quick to blame the coach's when everything doesnt go smooth..hell last year they were terrible,they have improved alot and he gets fired?

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
      They are so quick to blame the coach's when everything doesnt go smooth..hell last year they were terrible,they have improved alot and he gets fired?

their roster has improved but they're 3-10 in the last 13 games

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        their roster has improved but they're 3-10 in the last 13 games
        they were 22-44 last year,so id say they have come along way

Comment

Not Avery Johnson's fault that they built the team around a bunch of overrated players.

Comment

Justified.

That team has too much talent to be as bad as they have been as of late.

Comment

When Gerald Wallace is bringing up the ball up the court and Deron is setting screens.

Coach has to go.

Comment

the new york media / fans must have been ripping that guy

any brooklynites on bscene?

what is this all about?

teams go on bad stretches all the time....

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
                  they were 22-44 last year,so id say they have come along way

Derron questioned their scheme the other day too...

i hope PJ Carlesimo can get them going...i have Joe Johnson on my squad and he's been sucking ass this year

Comment

Damn, he was the coach of the month last month and now this. That Russian cat ain't joking..

Comment

Working...
                    X