Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joshua: Take Away Wilder's Right Hand, Take Away His Confidence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at us having a decent discussion, this really look good without the haters

Comment

Originally posted by Redgloveman View Post
      We'll agree to disagree re the jab then. Wilder does have a very good jab, no doubt about it, and it was definitely less effective against the Southpaw in Ortiz.

I'd agree with you in saying that AJ is naturally very aggressive and it'll be very interesting to see if he changes that approach. This time I'll beg to differ with you though; if I was in AJ's corner, I'd actually tell him to fight exactly at the pace that he normally would.

Wilder's boxing skills look ugly but they're underrated. He has natural and predatory talent. Whilst he can get his hands and feet in the wrong place his internal computer is excellent at learning his opponent's speed and distance etc. which makes it more likely that he lands the big right hand as the fight wears on.

This is a strength of Wilder's but it also speaks to what I consider to be something of a weakness for him. He's a slow starter (imho). Obviously you could say that this wasn't the case in Stiverne II but I think Wilder knew he had the beating of Stiverne in that case, and it wasn't the best Stiverne that night, I think it's fair to say.

Before he's had a chance to get a good look at his opponents DW often loses early rounds. He is confident enough in his power that he doesn't see that as a problem, but Joshua will definitely bring more pressure and aggression than he Wilder used to early in the fight. If I was in AJ's corner, I would bank on hitting Wilder early before he gets a chance to get used to AJ's timing and do as much damage as possible (ideally get the stoppage before the 6th round). It would also stop Wilder's better stamina coming into play. No doubt, as you allude to, this carries some big risks; but is it a greater risk than getting KO'd later in the fight when Wilder's better stamina is a factor and Wilder has had a chance to learn Joshua's movements and patterns?

If I was in Wilder's corner I'd say to be patient and try to weather the early pressure and try to walk Joshua onto something, but not to worry if the fight goes long because the longer the fight goes on the better Wilder's chances in my opinion.
      I love your analysis. You make quite some good points. AJ's aggressiveness is a blessing - I just think it needs to be calculated. Remember the AJ-Wlad fight, they took about 3 rounds also to figure each other out. At the elite level, it will be downright stupid to be just overly aggressive as the end will be - ass up, face down. It is still, however, the best way for AJ to get Wilder out.

There is a method to Wilder's madness. What you say in the 1st 4 rounds of the Wilder-Ortiz was both guys studying each other and providing the requisite respect before someone gets knocked out quickly. Also, I don't see many of the 1st set of rounds as lost by Wilder because I believe he is calibrating and trying to understand his opponents rhythm or lull them into a false sense of security.

Wilder's most underrated tool in my opinion is what I call the 'drunken master' effect. He seems like he is doing nothing, he seems lost, he seems like he is losing and out of place. Then, all of a sudden he explodes. This catches even the most technical opponents unaware. Wilder has used this repeatedly. E.g. - Ortiz, Washington, Stiverne I and II, Arreola, Spitzka, etc. This is what AJ must be prepared for, i.e., the variation in pace that seems to come out of nowhere. In my opinion, it is also what makes Wilder's punches more shocking (less reaction time for the opponent).
      Last edited by sotgoda; 03-07-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Just looking View Post
        Look at us having a decent discussion, this really look good without the haters
        This is the way it should be, i.e., assessing what each person legitimately brings to the table despite some areas of disagreement. Also, pushing for the fight to happen - not making excuses to justify why it should not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by sotgoda View Post
          Yeah... Lennox did that a lot but was also bigger than most of the guys he fought. You are right - he couldn't do that against Vitali. AJ may try to do that here as well - I just think he does not move his head enough to avoid Wilder throwing back. Wilder can be caught but I think he pivots really well to get caught. AJ doesn't.
          Either way it's going to be exciting no matter who wins. I think it will have more fireworks than Wilder vs Ortiz and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Travycat View Post
            He's correct, but Wilder is pretty athletic, so taking that right away is much easier said than done--especially for an entire fight.
            I'm pretty sure Wilder has laid guys flat out with the left hook.

Comment

Has he? I'm trying to recall.
              Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
              I'm pretty sure Wilder has laid guys flat out with the left hook.

Comment

well, yeah. take away a guys best weapon

look what happened to samson

Comment

Originally posted by vitali1999 View Post
                  Either way it's going to be exciting no matter who wins. I think it will have more fireworks than Wilder vs Ortiz and that's saying a lot.
                  i agree. dw is going to start off blazing but aj survives. he returns some wicked punches himself that just miss...making dw cautious. then aj gets caught in between exchanges and thats a wrap.

7-9 rd ko.

''dw cheated !!!!! he wasnt heavy enough !!!!!''

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
                    i agree. dw is going to start off blazing but aj survives. he returns some wicked punches himself that just miss...making dw cautious. then aj gets caught in between exchanges and thats a wrap.

7-9 rd ko.

''dw cheated !!!!! he wasnt heavy enough !!!!!''
                    That's very possible

Comment

• Originally posted by vitali1999 View Post
                      That's very possible
                      i hope its mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                      X