No announcement yet.

My top 20 greatest all time IF YOU DONT AGREE I WILL EXPLAIN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Counter Troll View Post
    Outside of Floyd at #10. Not a horrible list.

But Chavez Sr. Arguello, Hopkins & Floyd have no business anywhere near a top 20 ATG list.

But a Floyd win over Pacquiao before he proves himself to be completely shot could change all of that. Still wouldn't be in the top 10 though. Even if he beat a peak Manny Pacquiao.

Regarding Hopkins, if cleans out Light Heavyweight & becomes undisputed while either 50 or pushing 50 (as absurd as it seems, it's highly possible). I don't see how you can't have a spot for him the top 20.
    that's what i dont understand. leonard has 4 wins near that magnitude. 4! floyd doesn't even have 1. what the fOOK. why would he be so high? do a lot of good wins=1 great win? floyd is better because he's consistent, because he won a lot of titles, because he beat a lot of champions? sounds like a lot of fluff to me.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Based on accomplishment? Floyd and Roy defeated more champions than all of them and IMO p4p would be harder to beat. listing top 5 fighters is great, but you also have to consider the depth of their resumes
      Jones....won titles at 160, 168, 175, and heavyweight...thats no small accomplishment and I dont see that happening again.

Mayweather...Duran started as a featherweight won lineal titles at 135, and 147 and major titles at 154 and 160....but Mayweather has lineal titles at 130, 135, 154, and 147 and has been more consistent than both Leonard and Duran as he aged as a fighter....Also he has more title defenses than both over their respective careers.
      It's one thing to defeat a world champion and another thing to defeat all-time greats. Let's face it even Bruce Seldon was a world champion. There is different levels to the term. More importantly if you take Jose Luis Ramirez, Azumah Nelson, Julio Chavez, Buddy Mcgirt all in their primes from Pernell's resume they trump Floyds resume and trump an out of shape James Toney and green Bhop from jones. We won't even speak of what Sugar Ray has done in his prime

Comment

there are also 4 world champs in each division. at least. ortiz being champ in the leonard, duran, benitez, hearns era.....um yea there are no berto's there to beat. cotto being champ at 154 in the hearns, duran, benitez era....um yea there are no yuri foreman's there to beat. baldomir would still be lineal champ though lol!

Comment

Yeah, I'm a huge Floyd fan but I can't rank him higher than SRL or Duran. I personally give him a thin edge over Pernell, but it's all based on opinion. Regardless, solid list and yes Floyd is top 20.

Comment

Saw Floyd at number 10 and immediately stopped reading. Not even worth the bother.

Comment

Is this **** in a particular order? As in #1 being the best? If so i got more than one issue with this list.

Edit*
              Matter fact scratch that where the fk is Hagler and Hearns? Thats what i wanna know.
              Last edited by DannYankee; 09-16-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                top heavy resume isn't that a good thing? floyd doesn't have 1 win that rivals leonard's over benitez. not one. not even close. so if leonard's is top heavy then floyd's is bottom heavy. mayweather's pride won't even let him get in the ring with dangerous guys like pac or margarito. his game plan was don't fight them. bonus points i guess.

losing to duran? he happens to be one of the best fighters of all time and floyd hasn't beaten anyone close to him. i mean he's 14 on your list.floyd should have lost to castillo and last time i checked duran was better than castillo. where's castillo on your list?

haha titles and champions. and who were they? i noticed you didn't mention any names at all because most the guys floyd beat had no great standing in the sport of boxing unlike leonard's wins. floyd beat baldomir and canelo to become linear in those 2. aka weak. benitez beat all time great cervantes at 140, hall of famer palomino at 147 and all time great duran at 154. that is what you call a resume. and benitez is considered the 5th best out of all those guys. he isn't even in your top 20 yet floyd is because he took the easier path and you reward him.
                This aint no should have could have list...do you know the champions he beat or did you just start watching boxing 5 years ago? Lets be real, it quite rare for that two all time greats share the ring let alone be in the same weight class in the same era. Also, Margarito...lol Mayweather has beaten better and more proven fighters than him so he aint even worth discussing. He didnt fight Pacquiao but no fighter in history fought every good or great fighter in their era.

What all time greats did Joe Louis beat? None, the era he fought in wasnt very deep, though he does get credit for his skill, dominance, and longevity. The only great fighter Pep beat was Saddler and thats in over 200 fights, Chavez never beat an all time great, outside of a washed up Barney Ross, Henry armstrong fought consistently good comp but in over a hundred fights he hardly faced all time greats. Outside of Ali there is no fighter in history that fought every top rated fighter available. The list goes on

Sugar Ray Robinson is the highest rated fighter of all time and outside of Kid Gavilan he hasnt faced any prime all time greats either, the only fighters that even get mentioned is because they beat him like Lamotta, Basilio, and Fullmer and two of the guys beat him past prime. His biggest threat was Charley Burley they never fought, but Im not gonna let that detract from what he did in the ring, same goes for Louis, Jones and Mayweather.

Leonard didnt fight Aaron Pryor who begged for a fight, Manny wasnt begging for a fight or push for one. Also, Leonard or any of the fab 5 never faced Mike McCallum in the 80's who was a champion at 154 and 160 til the early 90's. We can go all day. Whats the point.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  there are also 4 world champs in each division. at least. ortiz being champ in the leonard, duran, benitez, hearns era.....um yea there are no berto's there to beat. cotto being champ at 154 in the hearns, duran, benitez era....um yea there are no yuri foreman's there to beat. baldomir would still be lineal champ though lol!

i dont count the WBO, but the IBF, WBC, and WBA were in existance in that era. Learn your boxing the WBO was around in their era too. Leonard held the WBC and unified with Hearns for the WBA. All the titles they won were not undisputed or lineal.

Matter of fact their rematch was for the WBO belt at super middleweight

Leonard won two titles in the same night WBC 168 and 175 title and the champion had to move down to defend his belt 7 pounds lower. They created a belt for Leonard.

Lets not act like they all beat a murderers row for their titles.

Leonard....Ayub Kalule at 154 and Donny Lalonde 168/175 were world class but definitely not all time greats or hall of famers

Duran...154 Maurice Hope a novice in comparison to him, and 160 Iran Barkley who was no more than a middleweight Gatti

Nobodies record is resume, but they are all modern era fighters and Mayweather has won more lineal titles than both and beaten more world champions and title holders. these are facts not my opinion.

Comment

You got burley twice.

And floyd isnt top 30 alltime

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
                      You got burley twice.

And floyd isnt top 30 alltime
                      glad someone noticed...i meant to put Jimmy McClarnin right there i think at 18...one of my all time favs....bet half the fools on here have to boxrec or youtube him after they read this

Comment

Working...
                      X