No announcement yet.

Khan essentially trained himself for a large part of the Garcia camp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
    If true Khan needs a dedicated trainer at the level he fights.

But no trainer is going to improve his chin
    If Khan boxes, learns to tie up when hurt, and use his height and reach, he will make fights much easier for himself. I know Khan is a warrior at heart but if he wants to be a viable force, he needs to fight smart.

Comment

It's going to be an uphill battle for him. All of his career, fighters will attack him relentlessly because they know they're just one good shot away from victory.

The good news is that he'll never run out of opponents (and money) because everyone will want a chance to knock him out.

Comment

For all Roach's lack of attention Khan could still have avoided being knocked out just by doing what Freddie told him between rounds.

He was overconfident and did not respect Garcia or his punching power.

Comment

[quote=Fix;12355070]lol.. yeah i guess so.. I mean he can't control Roach's activity, he only signs the training contract expecting that the trainer will fulfill his obligation but he said in interviews a number of times now that Roach wasn't even there for a lot of the time.[/quote]

It's true that Roach was gone for a week here and there when both Pacquiao and Chavez fought, but Khan said himself in the Ringside interview that it was because of the DELAY in fighting due to the Peterson fight being called off. He said that it wasn't a problem when he was training for Peterson, and it was beyond Roach's control because no one expected that fight to be cancelled and at the time of the new training, Roach had other obligations. If he would have been with another trainer at the time, the same thing probably would have happened. With that being said, I've been saying myself that Khan needs to go with a different trainer. I think Roach has taught Khan all he can at this point. But I would also like to point out that Khan rarely follows through with what Roach tells him to do inbetween rounds anyway.

Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
          All Roach does is put the mitts on for ten minutes at a time. Ive never seen him do anything else. I'm not pretending to know wha they do in training, but I have never seen him do anything else or offer any advice unless he has the mitts on.
          I agree. I would think that the strength and conditioning coach spends 75% more time with the fighter then the trainer himself does. Khan needs to work on strengthening his legs/balance.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          For all Roach's lack of attention Khan could still have avoided being knocked out just by doing what Freddie told him between rounds.

He was overconfident and did not respect Garcia or his punching power.
          Exactly. Seems like Roach takes the blame when it's convienient. Roach told him the exact thing he needed to do, and he chose not to do it. I'm pretty sure it was Schaefer that first came out with the 'Khan needs a trainer who will dedicate 100% of his time on HIM'. It was after that, I believe, that Khan started repeating it to the media. As I've stated in other posts, if Khan thinks there's a better trainer worth his weight in salt out there that won't have to split atleast some of his time with other fighters, he is going to be sadly disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
            That's not good for any boxer, even a highly experienced Vet. Roach not dedicating 100% to Khan might have been the reason behind Khan's regression in the Garcia fight. His defence was real bad for the most part, it's like his skill level went back in time. If Roach had been training him more regularly he probably wouldn't have made the same sort of mistakes.

Roach is no defence expert, but Khan was keeping his hands low for a lot of that fight and I would think that even a basic trainer would have corrected that. Also his upper body movement was non-existent. Plus in the sparring video he was fighting the exact same way, making the same sort of mistakes.
            Another excuse. Lucky punch, not making weight comfortable, trained by himself and bla bla bla. Move on. He lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
              All Roach does is put the mitts on for ten minutes at a time. Ive never seen him do anything else. I'm not pretending to know wha they do in training, but I have never seen him do anything else or offer any advice unless he has the mitts on.
              Your right ! When a trainer puts on a body suit holds his hands up for 10 mintues = I don't know what the phuck I'm doing, but most people are clueless about training a fighter. It looks good for the camera though

Comment

4 days

Roach said he missed 4 days.....Holy S***-That will ruin a career..
                If these boxers don't know how to fight by now they never will.....He's fought for years and Now he wants to work on Defense ?

Comment

Awwww yea, let the excuses fly in!

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                    Awwww yea, let the excuses fly in!
                    Exactly, that is why I started this thread.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558630

I knew the excuses were going to be coming in. How about the reason he lost. He got beaten by a better man and if they fight again Garcia will finish him for good. He can change coaches,get Ariza back on board but Garcia has his number and will put another beating on him but Khan will still find excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                      That's not good for any boxer, even a highly experienced Vet. Roach not dedicating 100% to Khan might have been the reason behind Khan's regression in the Garcia fight. His defence was real bad for the most part, it's like his skill level went back in time. If Roach had been training him more regularly he probably wouldn't have made the same sort of mistakes.

Roach is no defence expert, but Khan was keeping his hands low for a lot of that fight and I would think that even a basic trainer would have corrected that. Also his upper body movement was non-existent. Plus in the sparring video he was fighting the exact same way, making the same sort of mistakes.
                      roach is the head trainer at the wildcard and he didnt give khan alot of attention but amir by no means trained himself. the wildcard is filled with world class trainers and knowledgable ppl at all times and khan had plenty of help in preparation.

khan didnt really regress, it was the same flaws that always been there except he was in there with a guy who could capitalize. every single mistake he made against garcia he did against peterson as well. problem is khan blamed that loss on everything except himself, but the man in the hat wasnt the reason khan couldnt deal with petersons on the inside and it wasnt the refs fault that he got there in the first place.

but khan refused to take any of the blame, in his mind he fought a perfect fight and just got screwed over in every way. problem is the rest of the world was watching the fight too and they know what happened, garcia included.

Comment

Working...
                      X