No announcement yet.

Ward certainly isn't P4P No. 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
    I'll think you'll find he will be #1 on every list that matters. Yours and the other crybabies are lists that don't matter.
    I think you will find that p4p is actually just a discussion & has no iron clad basis in fact or reality. It's a subjective concept & pure personal opinion. Ring mag list is that of a few magazine editors! I think you will find that the majority of fans do not have Ward as p4p #1 after this fight as it was not convincing & thus has lea way when discussing his merits as p4p. Bradley beat Pac but in most peoples minds he did not leap frog him in a p4p sense as it was not legit. Ward for me has a false claim until he beats Kovalev leaving no question marks. You cannot be crowned p4p king in highly debatable circumstances IMO If Ward had won decisively then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Ward got a gift, regardless of how tough he was mentally. I give him props for that but after that bs I have less respect for him then I did when he dragged Dawson down a full weight division.

He isn't special but in an age of mediocrity I thought his strength and in fighting separated him from the pack. It doesn't lol

Kovalev is still no. 1, GGG, Gonzalez, possibly Wlad/Pacquiao and Bradley make up the rest of the top 5. Canelo could be in there too.

IMO Ward would have been top 5 with a genuine win over KOvalev, even with 4 years of fighting bums but without a legit win, he can't make it into a top 10 slot. I'm wondering how his performance was that much better than Chilembas?
      Canelo ahead of Ward? Lmao get a ****ing brain kid. Ward beat one of the top fighters in the world in his prime. Dont give a **** if it was by decision or KO, Ward wins. Who has Canelo beat simiar to Kovalev? Mosley? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
        I think you will find that p4p is actually just a discussion & has no iron clad basis in fact or reality. It's a subjective concept & pure personal opinion. Ring mag list is that of a few magazine editors! I think you will find that the majority of fans do not have Ward as p4p #1 after this fight as it was not convincing & thus has lea way when discussing his merits as p4p. Bradley beat Pac but in most peoples minds he did not leap frog him in a p4p sense as it was not legit. Ward for me has a false claim until he beats Kovalev leaving no question marks. You cannot be crowned p4p king in highly debatable circumstances IMO If Ward had won decisively then yes.
        Comparing Bradley-Pac to this fight.

This fight was close and Ward got the decision, i think P4P lists will reflect that. You and others crying #notmyP4P1 isn't going to change a damn thing.

Comment

If you take away from Ward then you have to take away from Kovalev, he had him hurt and couldn't finish him, not only couldn't he finish him, Ward was able to work his way back into the fight and took control of the second half of the fight so what does that say about Kovalev?

Me personally because the fight was Close IMO, I have BOTH rated highly P4P probably #1 and #2 but I don't see how you walk away from this fight saying either fighter is "THAT GOOD" but then again on this forum I wouldn't expect BETTER

Comment

kov did great but he was the main one holding and clinching and not one complaint??? this is why I know u guys are just biased n butt hurt. props to both men, ward is #1 he went up n weight n fought the best, even if u give the fight to kov u have to respect ward for that but most of u guys post out of your emotions. ive watched the fight 3 times, the 10th round is the hardest round to score. kov faded and lost a close decision but I can see others arguments, but to act like he outclassed ward is just a lie. great chess match I enjoyed every second of it!

Comment

Comparing Bradley-Pac to this fight.

This fight was close and Ward got the decision, i think P4P lists will reflect that. You and others crying #notmyP4P1 isn't going to change a damn thing.
              Which lists?

Comment

I agree, I saw Kovalev as the superior fighter. Ward looked limited, no right hand, no fluid combos, and his inside game is overrated and non effective if the other guy won't play to his dirty tactics. He had no answers from the outside and kept eating jabs and right hands. Ward should never compared to Mayweather or even Hopkins again, that is an insult to those complete fighters.

Comment

I've watched it 3 times now. I've got Kovalev winning it each time. But the comparisons to Bradley/Pacquiao 1 are laughable. This WAS a close fight.

Pacquiao beat Bradley without even really trying and somehow lost the decision.

These two, are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    I agree, I saw Kovalev as the superior fighter. Ward looked limited, no right hand, no fluid combos, and his inside game is overrated and non effective if the other guy won't play to his dirty tactics. He had no answers from the outside and kept eating jabs and right hands. Ward should never compared to Mayweather or even Hopkins again, that is an insult to those complete fighters.
                    Oh dear.. Bit harsh!

Comment

They accept the decision and rate him accordingly. Most fighters and people in the sport saw a close fight that could have gone either way. This was no robbery.
                      Fischer who is the official scorer of The Ring had it 117-111 Kovalev. That's not close.

So tell me how it would be justified for this publication, the most famous and revered in the sport, to have Ward top of his p4p list?

The top UK boxing publication had it 115-112 for Kovalev, I think, might have been a slightly different score, I can't remember. If they were to have Ward number one, what would you think of their list?

Please do not avoid the question second time.

Comment

Working...
                      X