No announcement yet.

Magic fire Stan Van Gundy, and team and Otis Smith part ways

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic fire Stan Van Gundy, and team and Otis Smith part ways

Coach*Stan Van Gundy*and General*Manager*Otis Smithdid not want the uncertainty about their futures with theOrlando Magic*to drag on and on.The doubts have ended, and the Magic have begun an overhaul of their basketball-operations department.The Magic today announced that they have fired Van Gundy and that they and Smith have agreed to part ways, ending Van Gundy’s five-year tenure as head coach and Smith’s six-year stint as GM.
    (read more)
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-dwight-howard

Smith was giving away money like it was going out of style.

Good move.

Comment

I like Stan Van Gundy, and I don't condone Dwight Howard's behavior this season, but he is not worth keeping over Dwight. The Magic had tuned him out, and honestly he's the type of coach that players grow sick of after a couple years.

And Otis Smith is a no brainer after some of the moves and non moves he has made.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tooth
        otis smith deserves to be fired.

just for the rasheed contract alone. let alone the arenas , carter debacles.

stan van gundy is a good coach.

it's not his fault he didn't have the pieces and a superstar more worried about "his brand" than actually winning.

when stan had the right pieces at the right time , he got to the finals no?
        That wasn't as much Van Gundy as taking advantage of an injured Boston, weak ass Cleveland, and a team that just went on a crazy run. Van Gundy's coaching in Orlando has never progressed beyond "shoot a crazy amount of threes and hope Dwight can make up for the nights we miss a ton."

Comment

Otis Smith made Rashard Lewis the second highest paid player in the NBA right under Kobe Bryant. Rashard Lewis...SMMFH

Comment

I don't know much about Otis Smith but I have to laugh about the firing of Stan Van Gundy. Like that garbage ass franchise is going to get someone better. Orlando basketball....

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
              I don't know much about Otis Smith but I have to laugh about the firing of Stan Van Gundy. Like that garbage ass franchise is going to get someone better. Orlando basketball....
              lol, that's what I was just gonna address.

Who are they gonna get to replace him?

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                lol, that's what I was just gonna address.

Who are they gonna get to replace him?

Mike Brown....he's gonna need a job after the playoffs

then when Dwight leaves/gets traded, they'll have the Mike-Brown-Defense excuse as to why they're only scoring 80pts per game

Comment

focking alt always taking my replies

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tooth
                    blah blah blah

they made it to the finals.

end of.

you don't make it to the finals without doing something right.

and orlando had injury issues as well.

and it wasn't a bunch of threes and dwight.

that's afterwards.

that year it was about scrappy wing defenders (barnes , pietrus)

good perimeter player penetration (alston , hedo)

post player defense and rebounding (howard , gortat)

yes they were shooting 3's but that's not all they were.

otis smith blew that team up.

keeping jameer nelson didn't help either. jameer nelson has some skills but he sucks as a point guard. don't know if it's because of his height but that guy has crap court vision.
                    I was so angry that changed that team so much. It had a damn good mix of veterans and young players. I still think most the identity the Magic had defensively was because of Dwight, and their offensive identity was centered around shooting the three, many times to the point they ignored Dwight down low. Luckily for that team those players had irrational confidence shooting the three and put those shots in almost every time they had to.

Even with that year, the team right now doesn't respond to Van Gundy.

Comment

Working...
                    X