• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEDDY ATLAS: "I`m confused at the Big Shots at HBO"

Gary Reynold
    Fight Hype
    February 05, 2011

"I think that's asbsurd. I don't understand what the people at HBO, and I guess they're smarter than me, but I don't understand what the big shots there are doing when they give something in the contract that tells the fighters that if you lose, you're going to get a million dollar fight and another fight on our network if you lose. I've never heard of something like that. To me, it's not good business. To me, again, they're smarter than me, but it doesn't make sense," remarked ESPN2 analyst Teddy Atlas, who took HBO to task for guaranteeing the loser of last weekend's bout between Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander another appearance on the premium cable network worth 1.25 million dollars.

As we now know, the loser of the bout was Devon Alexander, who complained that he was unable to see after an unintentional headbutt in the 10th round forced a halt to the action. Atlas points out that perhaps HBO's decision to guarantee the loser a comeback fight worth $1.25 million, before the bout had even taken place, may have played a role in Alexander's decision to fight through the adversity. "Would you tell your children that if you don't clean up your room, and I know that my kids used to make a mess, if you don't clean up your room, you're still going to get you allowance. Do you think that those shirts would be picked up from the floor," he added. "Again, I'm confused with the big shots at HBO making a deal with a fighter saying, 'You lose, don't worry about it. You'll be back on air. You'll get plenty of money.'"

Does Teddy Atlas have a point? Is it easier to lose your undefeated record if you're guarantedd a minimum of $1.25 million for your next fight?

I think its a good way of getting two fighters, whose managers might make them weasel their way out of a real fight, into the ring.

Its a good plan. Atlas has a habit of not being too smart.

Comment

Atlas is speaking the truth, HBO is also really dropping the ball giving fighters like Berto a million per fight to fight bums.

Comment

I usually tune Atlas out, but I'm with him on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
          Gary Reynold
          Fight Hype
          February 05, 2011

"I think that's asbsurd. I don't understand what the people at HBO, and I guess they're smarter than me, but I don't understand what the big shots there are doing when they give something in the contract that tells the fighters that if you lose, you're going to get a million dollar fight and another fight on our network if you lose. I've never heard of something like that. To me, it's not good business. To me, again, they're smarter than me, but it doesn't make sense," remarked ESPN2 analyst Teddy Atlas, who took HBO to task for guaranteeing the loser of last weekend's bout between Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander another appearance on the premium cable network worth 1.25 million dollars.

As we now know, the loser of the bout was Devon Alexander, who complained that he was unable to see after an unintentional headbutt in the 10th round forced a halt to the action. Atlas points out that perhaps HBO's decision to guarantee the loser a comeback fight worth $1.25 million, before the bout had even taken place, may have played a role in Alexander's decision to fight through the adversity. "Would you tell your children that if you don't clean up your room, and I know that my kids used to make a mess, if you don't clean up your room, you're still going to get you allowance. Do you think that those shirts would be picked up from the floor," he added. "Again, I'm confused with the big shots at HBO making a deal with a fighter saying, 'You lose, don't worry about it. You'll be back on air. You'll get plenty of money.'"

Does Teddy Atlas have a point? Is it easier to lose your undefeated record if you're guarantedd a minimum of $1.25 million for your next fight?
          I know Floyd disagrees!

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
            Gary Reynold
            Fight Hype
            February 05, 2011

You are correct Teddy Atlas, they are smarter than you.

They make fights happened due to smart provisions like this inserted in the contract.

Comment

Atlas is right on this. HBO is dumb for paying bums like Berto, Bradley and Alexander so much when they are all average fighters and will never be a big attraction.

Comment

I'm sure that provision in the contract is part of the reason the fight happened. It's not like the loser of the fight is not going to be ranked any more.

Comment

Moral Hazard??

Comment

It definitely softens the blow of defeat, maybe even makes you less motivated to win, part of the reason you want to win is to get bigger fights and fight on HBO or Showtime.

Comment

Working...
                    X