Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made Canelo fail versus GGG the first time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made Canelo fail versus GGG the first time?

I think it's fair to say that Nelo had more tools than GGG going into that fight:

-Speed
    -Timing
    -Reflexes
    -Defenses
    -Youth

While GGG only had over Nelo IMO:
    -Size (lenght)
    -Stamina

Both are accurate, experienced, strong and hard chinned.

Yet he failed to beat GGG as the challenger.

Some people think Nelo won (most think GGG won) OK but that's not the debate.

We can all agree that Nelo had the tools to clearly beat in most people eyez GGG and he didn't.

My question is why?

IMO I think it was mental and GGG edged it (or made it close) with his will and adjustments.

Nelo started naturally outboxing GGG then GGG imposed his will and mental strenght on Nelo.

Sometimes it looked like if Nelo could he would have jumped outta the ring. He looked trapped most of the fight and somehow beaten mentally.

(the fact that he could have cheated for the rematch, shows that mental edge IMO)

Maybe Nelo was surprised by that pressure and will adjust in the rematch, (or "cycled" his but off)

BUT, the person I saw really adjusting was GGG IMO, he's the one who won the second half of the fight. If you look at the fight, GGG changed a bit his stance, closed more his guard, and worked with short punches somehow pitty pat combos wich was very effective. But GGG missed most of his big shots and that's on what Nelo mostly focused IMO, not being caught by something big.

I think Canelo didn't win because he never made strategic adjusments and let GGG work too much, crumbled under his will/stamina/workrate.

What most boxing fans seem to forget that Canelo has a very underrated defense. He has perhaps the best upper body movement of any fighter in boxing.

He slips head shots better than anyone I've seen since Floyd Mayweather. Likewise, that goes without saying that he is also a lethal counter puncher too. If one were to attack his body he would counter them to the head.

Comment

Sad to say but as long as canelo is still standing in the end he will not lose regardless of what u visually witness

Comment

Inactivity, GGG's pressure.

He is the better boxer but his output wasn't as high

Comment

I think Clenelo lacked stamina and determination in first fight, that's why he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
            What most boxing fans seem to forget that Canelo has a very underrated defense. He has perhaps the best upper body movement of any fighter in boxing.

He slips head shots better than anyone I've seen since Floyd Mayweather. Likewise, that goes without saying that he is also a lethal counter puncher too. If one were to attack his body he would counter them to the head.
            Yeah, I think it just doesn't take a hater to deny Canelo's talent.

Canelo isn't gifted with a long reach, doesn't have the physics to fight tall, yet is outboxing very good and longer fighters (Lara, Trout, GGG).
            It just shows the man has special skills.

But he failed to beat GGG whose style is very predictable if you ask me.

I think Nelo isn't that strong mentally.

I always said Floyd beat him mentally first, then shcooled him. Canelo showed me some mental weaknesses versus Floyd. Didn't even try hard.

Comment

Abel Sanchez promised plans A,B,C and D! That means they would have an answer for anything Canelo brought to the table.... Unfortunately that is not what we saw! On contrary Canelo won every single round he tried to win (rounds 1,2,3 and 10,11,12)
              GGG failed IMO he only had one game plan and never adjusted to anything Canelo did and they’re complaining about him running proves they just couldn’t figure him out! They’re (ggg and Abel) only effective tool was they’re jab because Canelo neutralized everything else in they’re arsenal: footwork, bodyshots and power punches! Canelo took all gggs biggest tools away... What surprises me is these silly threads with grown men making excuse after excuse and facing the reality... GGG although a very good boxer did not beat Canelo!

Comment

GGG used his superior jab to dictate the fight, he was timing Canelo well and keeping him off balance. A few times Canelo set up traps (like when he stayed on the ropes) to try and lure GGG in and catch with his superior hand-speed. GGG was playing it smart however and used his jab, the few times Canelo tried to exchange didnt end so well for him. I seem to recall in on of the last 3 rounds (think it was the last round) he tried to take the center circle and exchange with GGG. He took one shot from GGG which visibly hurt and and immediately went back to back-peddling.

Comment

Sustainable pace, Golovkin's was actually higher. It appeared to me that Canelo could pick any minute of any round and win it thoroughly but 2 minutes he could not. It could also be, I suppose, that Canelo was afraid, afraid to give 100%, punch himself out and then be at the mercy of the relentless Golovkin.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCastellanos View Post
                    Abel Sanchez promised plans A,B,C and D! That means they would have an answer for anything Canelo brought to the table.... Unfortunately that is not what we saw! On contrary Canelo won every single round he tried to win (rounds 1,2,3 and 10,11,12)
                    GGG failed IMO he only had one game plan and never adjusted to anything Canelo did and they’re complaining about him running proves they just couldn’t figure him out! They’re (ggg and Abel) only effective tool was they’re jab because Canelo neutralized everything else in they’re arsenal: footwork, bodyshots and power punches! Canelo took all gggs biggest tools away... What surprises me is these silly threads with grown men making excuse after excuse and facing the reality... GGG although a very good boxer did not beat Canelo!

So you think GGG is the superior boxer but was the one outperformed?

Comment

Working...
                    X