Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was down with Winky Wright (160lbs) vs Floyd Mayweather (140lbs)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
    Certainly not Floyd! Wright wasn't Mexican or old or flat footed & ID enough..
    imo Floyd has a decent record. but straight up, @ 154 Winky is wrong for allot of people. He was Paul Williams before Williams was. Avoided!

He didn't have a huge name, he had to take his career to Europe because he was so heavily avoided. When he changed promoters to Gary Shaw, Shaw gave him the grounding to fight some bigger names. Think of this Shane in his prime would at least give most fighters a good fight, Winky Wright crushed him for 24 blow out rounds, and wink doesn't even have one punch ko power. Tito got drubbed for 12 rounds straight. Anyone stepping into 154 against a prime Wright, was in for a long ass night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
      imo Floyd has a decent record. but straight up, @ 154 Winky is wrong for allot of people. He was Paul Williams before Williams was. Avoided!

He didn't have a huge name, he had to take his career to Europe because he was so heavily avoided. When he changed promoters to Gary Shaw, Shaw gave him the grounding to fight some bigger names. Think of this Shane in his prime would at least give most fighters a good fight, Winky Wright crushed him for 24 blow out rounds, and wink doesn't even have one punch ko power. Tito got drubbed for 12 rounds straight. Anyone stepping into 154 against a prime Wright, was in for a long ass night.
      Stylistic nightmare. Too inconsistent for me though..

Soliman out-boxed him! Yet he schooled Mosley & Tito & gave Hopkins & Taylor fits!

Would have been nice to see Floyd fight more athletic slicker fighters in his career. Forrest, Wright, Lara, Khan, Bradley, fresher Mosley, Martinez etc

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        dude they weigh in that morning and have all day to rehydrate whne htere's a rehydration clause. i'm not ignoring anything, you jyust don't know how it works and are acting like floyd mayweather would stop a durable JMW who went 12 with one of the best punchers i've ever seen.

he'd be damn near what he'd weigh otherwise, and he's not getting stopped by floyd f#cking mayweather :lol1. you just need to stop.
        If he has to weigh 162 the morning of the fight he's going to be terribly drained. He also won't rehydrate to what he normally would.

I don't know how it works? Do you actually believe that?

You are literally ignoring it. You've just said again that Winky went 12 with Tito. Ok at what weight though? That's the difference.

Obviously the only reason I've claimed Floyd could stop him is circumstantial.

Comment

You revising history? De La was trying to give him short money. He never turned it down bro. Then went onto fight Felix Sturm and got outclassed badly! After Wink throttled Shane Mosley for 24 rounds, he was an untouchable by all the cash draws Except for Guys who thought they could beat him Tito stepped up and got washed.

Wink at 154 in his prime is an ATG.
          Short money?

Winky Wright turned down 6 million dollars and a career payday. You consider that short money?

And Winky literally turned down the fight. He was offered 6 million dollars and he turned it down.
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

"Wright suspects that it is Arum who is preventing the fight from happening more so than De La Hoya."

http://www.secondsout.com/usa-boxing...car-de-la-hoya
            http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/26/Sp...weather_.shtml

"As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."

Winky Wright turned down many fights.

Oscar, Mayweather, Margarito, Taylor 2 to name some.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Right ok, your first point is silly because you can't compare Canelo weighing in a Lb less than his previous weigh in and having no rehydration clause to Winky Wright having to cut back down to 154 from 160 and then only being allowed to rehydrate 8 lbs after the weigh in. It's two completely different scenarios. Canelo struggled to make 152 and rehydrated to a comfortable weight. Winky Wright might actually die if he had to weigh in 162 lbs on the same day of the fight.

Secondly, you're comparing a 2005 Mayweather to a 2013 Mayweather which I shouldn't even have to explain why that's stupid.

Winky Wright at 162 lbs in the ring would be severely drained and unhealthy.
              You can choose to ignore that but when a fighter is that badly drained there's every chance they will get stopped. History shows that.

Yes and if more people watched boxing in 2005 they would know about the rehydration clause that was agreed to and use logic as to why that outcome it at the very least a possibility.
              If he has to weigh 162 the morning of the fight he's going to be terribly drained. He also won't rehydrate to what he normally would.

I don't know how it works? Do you actually believe that?

You are literally ignoring it. You've just said again that Winky went 12 with Tito. Ok at what weight though? That's the difference.

Obviously the only reason I've claimed Floyd could stop him is circumstantial.

bolded why i had to explain to you that he wouldn't be 162 in the ring. he'd be 165-170, the way he was for virtually all of his fights at or around his prime. he was 168 unnoficially agains trinidad after being 160 the day prior, and that was with clothes on. he would not be far from his ideal fight night weight.

certainly not far enough from the weight where a gnatlike puncher at 154 would stop one of the most durable 154 lbers i have ever seen, who went 12 rounds with felix trinidad, shane mosley, and fernando vargas, legitimately big punchers and bigger guys than floyd mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                bolded why i had to explain to you that he wouldn't be 162 in the ring. he'd be 165-170, the way he was for virtually all of his fights at or around his prime. he was 168 unnoficially agains trinidad after being 160 the day prior, and that was with clothes on. he would not be far from his ideal fight night weight.

certainly not far enough from the weight where a gnatlike puncher at 154 would stop one of the most durable 154 lbers i have ever seen, who went 12 rounds with felix trinidad, shane mosley, and fernando vargas, legitimately big punchers and bigger guys than floyd mayweather.
                Well that all depends on the how he's effected by it isn't it. Like I said, that prediction is circumstantial.

Bringing up Trinidad and Mosley and anyone else that didn't fight under these circumstances is irrelvant.

Comment

Short money?

Winky Wright turned down 6 million dollars and a career payday. You consider that short money?

And Winky literally turned down the fight. He was offered 6 million dollars and he turned it down.
                  How much was DE LA making? 6 million is allot for sure but comparatively he probably wanted more. I admit knowing that is was 6 mil i'd have taken it...but You can't deny what he brought to the ring. And if this is a Winky vs Floyd Prime for prime, no way you can tell me he doesn't open that can up on Lil Floyd.

Side note De La went on to fight a Wright "light" in Sturm and got schooled, Winky would have taken that too. There was literally nothing special about De La at that time. I don't know why he turned it down, maybe he though there was more to be made financially.

Comment

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
                    Stylistic nightmare. Too inconsistent for me though..

Soliman out-boxed him! Yet he schooled Mosley & Tito & gave Hopkins & Taylor fits!

Would have been nice to see Floyd fight more athletic slicker fighters in his career. Forrest, Wright, Lara, Khan, Bradley, fresher Mosley, Martinez etc
                    name a fighter who Soliman wasn't awkward as **** with? Under the rules of boxing He beat Bernard "clinch fest" Hopkins and walked down Jermain Taylor who at the time was in his prime. Floyd isn't a true 154. where was Winky was the perfect fit for the weight. I personally would have loved to see Forrest vs Wright that would have been a great fight consider both guys drubbed Shane. imo Shane was nothing special by fresh you mean on cream and clear... dude was a roider when he "beat" De La Hoya.

Comment

How much was DE LA making? 6 million is allot for sure but comparatively he probably wanted more. I admit knowing that is was 6 mil i'd have taken it...but You can't deny what he brought to the ring. And if this is a Winky vs Floyd Prime for prime, no way you can tell me he doesn't open that can up on Lil Floyd.

Side note De La went on to fight a Wright "light" in Sturm and got schooled, Winky would have taken that too. There was literally nothing special about De La at that time. I don't know why he turned it down, maybe he though there was more to be made financially.
                      De La Hoya would be making substationally more because he was a way bigger draw.

More money to be made financially where? He never made close to 6 million for one fight in his entire career. He turned down what would have been by far the biggest pay day of his career.

He turned it down and priced himself out. That's literally what happened there's no other way to look at it. He was offered big money to fight De La Hoya and he said no. Same way he did with Mayweather, Margarito, Taylor 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X