What's up with (mostly white) people taking unemployable degrees in college

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    This is flawed thinking...

Low skilled workers arent just going to be able to start working in innovation/technology..

Low skilled workers are the idiots you grew up with that never worried about school, grades, etc and just partied.. in adulthood they use to be able to make a living by joining some low skilled Union/job... Now those are getting automated, these idiots won't suddenly become innovators and write code for apps or doing anything that requires critical thinking skills.. They will just be on public aid, blaming everyone and not holding themselves accountable for being such an idiot during school years
    Who's to say your line of work won't be automated some time? ßringer

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
      That said, a culinary degree isn't useless at all, it's just limited in demand depending on your location. Sounds to me like your friend's daughter should consider moving somewhere where her skillset would be more appreciated. Culinary arts are huge in most metropolitan areas along either coastline.
      Exactly, its not that their aren't jobs. There simply aren't jobs where these people want to work. You see all these losers leaving school and looking for entry level employment in the place they want to live. There was a recent article on this with some millennial ***** *****ing about how she couldn't get an entry level law job in the Bay Area. Well no ****!

When you first start out you have to be willing to take jobs you dont want in places you dont want to build your resume'. These spoiled ****ing brats dont want to actually have to work for the lives they want.

Comment

You can only marginalize and demonize a group of people (poor people, in this instance) so much before they justifiably strike back. A national strike day for low wage workers in this country would be a huge kick in the dick that would be felt by everybody.
        No it wouldn't the permanent male underclass actually makes very good money. The people who build your roads and your buildings, keep your power on, make sure your water works. These people are almost always all only high school educated with added trade school and very well paid. They are a permanent underclass that none of the social justice warriors like yourself care about because you dont want to do their job. Your not about to go work on a 12kv distribution line because you are at least smart enough to know that one ****up will blow a hole the size of a basketball in you. The "poor people" class dont want to do this job even if it does pay $50 an hour with lost of double time and killer benefits. Its too damn hard and too damn dangerous.

The "poor people" aren't vital at all. All the vital jobs are actually very well paid. You just dont want to do them.

Comment

You actually get to enjoy college/university if you do a useless degree. The proper ones are difficult.

Comment

Off-topic, but I'm decent at geometry and statistics, but bad at algebra.

Comment

You're seriously oversimplifying the issue.

These are hard working people who have worked hard their entire life and now, as a result of the global economy, have no buying power whatsoever.

Not everybody is cut out to be a fucking doctor, lawyer, or engineer. You're not accounting for the vast array of talents and attributes present in populations. I suck at carpentry, but I'm pretty skilled with computers. Others are naturally inclined towards working with their hands but suck with computers or math.

That doesn't mean these people are stupid, didn't pay enough attention in school, or have nothing to contribute. It's just acknowledging that every human being has their own skillset and limitations and that the economy relies heavily on all of those skillsets.

If everybody had what it took to be a neurosurgeon then we'd all be unemployed neurosurgeons.
              Maybe I am over simplifying, but the truth is I have never met someone who did good in school having a poverty stricken life.. Not everyone will be rich, but all live comfortably

And carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc are not low skilled jobs, and aren't getting automated anytime in our lifetime..

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Good question. The person who organizes it would have to be someone who isn't afraid to die.

When Occupy Wall Street was going on the FBI found out about a plot to "engage in sniper attacks against protestors in Houston, Texas, if deemed necessary." But they withheld that information from the public and the protesters.

If it had been Wall Street fat cats who were targeted you can bet that the FBI would have let them know in a heartbeat.
                You're seriously oversimplifying the issue.

These are hard working people who have worked hard their entire life and now, as a result of the global economy, have no buying power whatsoever.

Not everybody is cut out to be a fucking doctor, lawyer, or engineer. You're not accounting for the vast array of talents and attributes present in populations. I suck at carpentry, but I'm pretty skilled with computers. Others are naturally inclined towards working with their hands but suck with computers or math.

That doesn't mean these people are stupid, didn't pay enough attention in school, or have nothing to contribute. It's just acknowledging that every human being has their own skillset and limitations and that the economy relies heavily on all of those skillsets.

If everybody had what it took to be a neurosurgeon then we'd all be unemployed neurosurgeons.
                Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
                No it wouldn't the permanent male underclass actually makes very good money. The people who build your roads and your buildings, keep your power on, make sure your water works. These people are almost always all only high school educated with added trade school and very well paid. They are a permanent underclass that none of the social justice warriors like yourself care about because you dont want to do their job. Your not about to go work on a 12kv distribution line because you are at least smart enough to know that one ****up will blow a hole the size of a basketball in you. The "poor people" class dont want to do this job even if it does pay $50 an hour with lost of double time and killer benefits. Its too damn hard and too damn dangerous.

The "poor people" aren't vital at all. All the vital jobs are actually very well paid. You just dont want to do them.

some people are not school smart but very good at their jobs, we only measure a really specific kind of intelligence that benefits computer engineers, physicists and doctors but there are all kinds of people and all different types of intelligence like bringer said

I have worked as a crew supervisor and foreman at many labor / trades type jobs and among kids born in the 80s and 90s that I worked with almost none of them wanted to have a job where they would get dirty and have to work hard. I've worked these kinds of jobs my whole life but almost every kid I met dreamed about being a financial advisor, sitting in an air conditioned office all day and making 120,000 + a year. it's just not realistic to think we can all be president of general motors or Goldman Sacs and just keep taking govt welfare bailouts to cover our bonuses.

when crooked Hilary becomes president this nov, America is sooo ****ed, she'll probably immediately pass laws that her wall street buddies don't have to be accountable anymore with what they do with investors money

Comment

Working...
                X