No announcement yet.

Ponce De Leon vs Sparring Partner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    Thats a joke. I know that a lot of gyms that I have been too make a game out of taking some of their smallest fighters and having them embarrass big yoked out juice heads who come in wanting to fight and spar with no experience at all.

It universally ends with the big dude getting a beating and making some excuse.

Most people can't take a punch. In boxing, the guys that can't take a punch get weeded out so at the top you end up with the guys that made it.

Your average 130lb fighter without gloves can put your average 200lb tough guy on the ground with 1 shot.

i'm not talking about "juice heads."

i'm talking about professional HW boxers. we've a great recent example in the chisora and haye fight after chisora - vitali. going back through the history of extra circulars at press conferences, etc, you'll find them to be primarily among larger men, especially HW.

and i still don't believe that a 110 lb kid from the junior olympics knocked a large and grown man unconscious with one punch. maybe if his head hit the ground very hard he might lose consciousness, or if he was sucker punched.

a professional lightweight is very different from a kid in the amateurs, who walks around at 110-115 lbs. bam bam rios is a lightweight (now a jr WW.) there's footage of him in a streetfight. the guy remains conscious and alive.

if you think your average 130 lb kid at the gym is launching off perfect punches to knock grown men unconscious you are mistaken. unless you're at some spectacular gym with a ton of talent that sends fighters to national and international level competition, the average fighters are not the brutally potent killing machines you assume them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i'm not talking about "juice heads."

i'm talking about professional HW boxers. we've a great recent example in the chisora and haye fight after chisora - vitali. going back through the history of extra circulars at press conferences, etc, you'll find them to be primarily among larger men, especially HW.

and i still don't believe that a 110 lb kid from the junior olympics knocked a large and grown man unconscious with one punch. maybe if his head hit the ground very hard he might lose consciousness, or if he was sucker punched.

a professional lightweight is very different from a kid in the amateurs, who walks around at 110-115 lbs. bam bam rios is a lightweight (now a jr WW.) there's footage of him in a streetfight. the guy remains conscious and alive.

if you think your average 130 lb kid at the gym is launching off perfect punches to knock grown men unconscious you are mistaken. unless you're at some spectacular gym with a ton of talent that sends fighters to national and international level competition, the average fighters are not the brutally potent killing machines you assume them to be.
      It doesn't take that much power to knock someone out, regardless of size. All you have to do is catch a guy on the chin when he's not expecting it, to make his head turn quick enough that he loses consciousness. When his neck isn't tensed, it doesn't take a super hard punch to do that, especially if the smaller guy is putting most of his 110 pounds into the guy's chin.

And we're talking about an untrained guy walking around at 200 lbs (someone who would only be a middleweight if he boxed and was in shape). And they way most people fight in street fights, he was probably fighting stupid with his chin up in the air and no defense.

That story is absolutely believable.

Comment

Originally posted by JDezi4 View Post
        Wow, lets be sure to hold back the black guy, but nobody make any attempt to hold back the one who actually started the whole mess... Hell, might as well let him get 5 or 6 more cheap shots in before anyone decides to hold him back... Jeez
        That's because the "black guy" in the video is just a sparring partner who's been knocked out before he even established a career. This is in Ponce de Leon's gym, and PDL's probably was the one who had the higher profile fight coming up. If Floyd started something in his own gym with a sparring partner, of course it's going to be the other guy who gets kicked out.

Comment

Working...
        X