No announcement yet.

How good was Donald Curry?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Donald Curry?

Always thought he was technically stunning. Before his loss to Honeyghan he was being rated number 1 P4P. The left hook on McCrory is still one of the best punches i have ever seen.

He never seems to get mentioned in any ATG convos but in his prime he was a great fighter.
    Last edited by tonysoprano; 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM.

Excellent boxer. I felt like so many others, he fell in love with the knockout and that might have led to his downfall.

Comment

He was awesome. One of the best in his time, I think.

Comment

I was a big Curry fan. A lot of good fighters in that era so he may have been somewhat overshadowed. If I recall there was sometimes drama with his camps and managers and he did have a temper. I remember after one fight(can't remember the opponent) he came up behind the guy and just Pearl Harbor rabbit punched him as retribution for what Curry thought had been dirty fighting by his opponent during the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
          I was a big Curry fan. A lot of good fighters in that era so he may have been somewhat overshadowed.
          Damn right he was, 100% agree.

Comment

Curry was outstanding. He fought some good fighters before losing to Honeyghan. He beat Starling twice and McCrory in showdown of undefeated champions. Just when it seemed like everything was going his way he lost to Honeyghan . He blamed it on weight loss and there's probably some truth to that. He moved up to 154, fought a tune up or two and took on a ATG in McCallum. He was doing well (leading on all card) when he got caught with a great counter and stopped in the fourth. In my opinion Curry was never the same. He had some more success but just never looked the same.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
              Curry was outstanding. He fought some good fighters before losing to Honeyghan. He beat Starling twice and McCrory in showdown of undefeated champions. Just when it seemed like everything was going his way he lost to Honeyghan . He blamed it on weight loss and there's probably some truth to that. He moved up to 154, fought a tune up or two and took on a ATG in McCallum. He was doing well (leading on all card) when he got caught with a great counter and stopped in the fourth. In my opinion Curry was never the same. He had some more success but just never looked the same.
              Ranked as one of McCallum's best performances by some.

Comment

Mosley level.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Excellent boxer. I felt like so many others, he fell in love with the knockout and that might have led to his downfall.

TBear, I had quadrillions of points. They disappeared. What happened to them? I need them back.

Comment

Yeah, I remember him being touted as the next
                    SRL.

Comment

Working...
                    X