Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn Shoots Down, Rejects Tyson Fury's 'Lineal Title' Claim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
    It works when you look at it historically. We could debate if we were on a new line when the likes of Jeffries, Marciano, Ali retired (or had sabbaticals for whatever reason) but ultimately it didn't matter as at some point we had dominant champions who brought all the separate lines back together such as Ali, Tyson, Lewis.

At any specific point in time, though, there could be debate over who was the Lineal Champion.

I think history will record Klitschko and Fury as lineal champions, and at some point Joshua and Fury will fight which will ensure there's no doubt when looking at the line in history.. before we inevitably bring doubt into the current status.
    That's the beauty of the lineage: it's not subject to debate, rating boards or public opinion. You've either beaten the man who beat the man, or you are the consensus #1 and you beat the consensus #2. Klitschko beat Povetkin after the consensus #2 fighter, his brother, retired. At that point Povetkin was the consensus #2 and Klitschko beat Povetkin to continue the lineage. Then Fury beat Klitschko. Even if Joshua had fought Wilder, Fury would still be the lineal champion UNTIL he officially retired. Luckily that didn't happen and Fury came back to fight Wilder. The Fury lineage continues...

Comment

Originally posted by davefromvancouv View Post
      That's the beauty of the lineage: it's not subject to debate, rating boards or public opinion. You've either beaten the man who beat the man, or you are the consensus #1 and you beat the consensus #2. Klitschko beat Povetkin after the consensus #2 fighter, his brother, retired.
      Of course it's subject to debate at certain points in time. It's proven by the fact that you've just provided a completely different answer to how Wlad became the lineal champ than others have. Others say it was when he beat Chagaev. Some claim we need an undisputed champion to restart the line.

And if it doesn't involve ratings, how do you get a concensus 1 and 2? We all disagree on our 1/2/3 don't we?

My view is, I don't care whether Fury has it or not. It's about as tainted as the unbeaten records of fighters who fought tomato cans for the vast majority of their career.

For it to have any credibility in the history books, we need a dominant fighter. So make the fights we want to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post
        AJ is a queen now?
        No. I meant it as, you don't have to be talking constantly to be known as the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpster Juice View Post
          Doesn't make me wrong either. But it's easy to tell you and the other two aren't very knowledgeable about the sport.
          Yeah right, 48 years old, life long active involvement from competition to corner. Move along kiddo.

Comment

Originally posted by harry-greb View Post
            Truth.
            Lineal title is the only title. Fůck the alphabets!
            Lolx.... This laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkp View Post
              I wouldnt say its a nightmare, but its common knowledge he lost 2 fights at the olympics and cheated his way to a gold medal. Paper champ got his paper medal.
              You still very pained unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.
              The unified champ won his title fair and square. It's not like some champ that was giving a gift after loosing to a rehab patient.

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
                Exactly, he's the lineal champ until somebody beats him or he retires and the 1 & 2 best fighters in the division fight each other.
                Fury did retire.
                He failed a piss test.
                Pulled out of a rematch with Wlad.
                He was unable to fight for 2 years due to being 400lbs.

I understand hating Hearn and all. To be lineal champ you gotta be fighting at least once a year fighting top competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post
                  He does his talking in the ring not by creating an alter ego and blaming him when he says some stupid s#hit. For example I want a body on my record. When Wilder was questioned on his words he blamed the Bronze bomber. That’s some funny s#hit there you Americans are creative
                  he does is talking in the ring LOL you must get paid a lot for being his cheerleader and put down those pom-poms,, you always steer away from facts,, AJ has Daddy Hearn do all this talking while he sits there like a quiet little lad

Comment

Originally posted by SeGoodland View Post
                    I only hear the Queen talk once a year, at Christmas. She's still the Queen though.
                    You must be insinuating that AJ is the king that's why he's sitting there with his mouth shut,, this is heavyweight world championship boxing not tea-time with Fkn the queen

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                      Of course it's subject to debate at certain points in time. It's proven by the fact that you've just provided a completely different answer to how Wlad became the lineal champ than others have. Others say it was when he beat Chagaev. Some claim we need an undisputed champion to restart the line.

And if it doesn't involve ratings, how do you get a concensus 1 and 2? We all disagree on our 1/2/3 don't we?

My view is, I don't care whether Fury has it or not. It's about as tainted as the unbeaten records of fighters who fought tomato cans for the vast majority of their career.

For it to have any credibility in the history books, we need a dominant fighter. So make the fights we want to see!

I see your point. During the Klitschko brothers reign, they were essentially #1 and #2. When Vitali lost to Lewis and Lewis retired, the Klitschko brothers refused to fight each other so the title was vacant. Then the Ring magazine muddied the waters diverging from the lineage, claiming that the winner of Wladimir and the consensus #3 Ruslan Chagaev would be for the RING and lineal championship, even though Vitali was still the WBC champion. When Vitali retired, and Wladimir beat the consensus #2 heavyweight Povetkin, the RING and lineal titles were finally aligned.

Now we have the Fury lineage. When he refused to rematch Klitschko and Joshua strategically avoided Wilder to unify the titles, politics re-entered the lineage claim. Especially when Fury decided to step up and face Wilder. Suddenly, there was concerted effort to discredit Fury and declare the lineal title vacant or "vacated" so that if Wilder beat Fury, Wilder would be denied the lineal title. After the draw, RING demoted Wilder and Fury was made #2 so that if Fury now decides to fight Joshua, the winner is the RING and lineal champion. If he rematches Wilder, they will keep the RING and lineal titles vacant and "vacated". Politics...

But boxing purists know the simple truth when you take politics out of it. Anybody who beats Fury IS the lineal champion, be it Seferi, Pianeta, Wilder or Joshua. And he's the top dog of the division. Doesn't matter if he's dominant, he's part of the 133 year lineage regardless.

Comment

Working...
                      X