No announcement yet.

New to nutrition & training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to nutrition & training

I just started a few weeks ago at my mma gym and I like doing boxing the most but I know my body isn't at the shape which is needed for this sport. I went to my doctor and I'm 5'10 212 pounds with 22% body weight and I'm 19. I know I'm not in the best shape but hopefully I will be later on. Anyways my doctor said to go on a low carb diet and my relative said to be on a low carb high protein diet. I want to get down to 180 and be lean. What's good meals and portion sizes? I'm not good with nutrition facts and stuff like that. I was also thinking doing a hour on the bicycle machine at my gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays cause those days I don't do boxing and Muay Thai and I usually have weekends off to rest.

Hey,

Protein or carbs do not cause weight gain or loss by themselves. Whether you gain weight or lose weight is determined by the amount of calories you consume. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

If you want to wing it I would just suggest to eat less of what you are eating now and replace some of your current food sources with protein rich meals like lean meats, dairy products, eggs, etc. If you are serious I would recommend making a diet plan which ensures you eat less calories than you burn.

Comment

dont go extreme, just eat clean , limit amount of processed food you eat

protein-rich diet sounds good

its really simple

Comment

Originally posted by Facade View Post
        Hey,

Protein or carbs do not cause weight gain or loss by themselves. Whether you gain weight or lose weight is determined by the amount of calories you consume. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

If you want to wing it I would just suggest to eat less of what you are eating now and replace some of your current food sources with protein rich meals like lean meats, dairy products, eggs, etc. If you are serious I would recommend making a diet plan which ensures you eat less calories than you burn.
        This pretty much sums it up. I just want to add that doctors get barely any training in nutrition. A low carb diet will hinder your exercise performance as well.

Comment

Stop drinking anything sweet. No sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. That alone may make a significant difference.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I went from 191 to 150 in 9 months after I started boxing. I've gained back 10 pounds since then, but that's because I don't train or diet as much as I did back then. Like someone said above, it's all about calories.

Calculate roughly how many calories you can eat a day and not gain weight. The actual formulas are kind of complicated and not 100% accurate, but a general rule of thumb from what I remember is multiply your weight in pounds by 13-16, 13 for less active and 16 for pretty active. So if you're 212 now, that range would be roughly 2756-3392 calories a day. Download a calorie counting app like MyFitnessPal, start counting calories, monitor your weight for a few weeks, and see if it changes. Once you get a better idea of how many you can eat just to maintain, slowly start reducing that number. Maybe start with 500 less calories a day and go from there. Theoretically one pound of fat is 3500 calories, so if you eat 500 less calories per day, you should be losing about a pound a week. Of course, this isn't always the case though. Also, if you cut too much too soon, your metabolism will eventually slow down to match your new caloric intake, and that'll make it harder to lose weight later on.

As for protein intake, the general rule of thumb is one gram of protein per pound in body weight. Not sure if you'd want to consume 212g of protein a day, but maybe 180 g a day since that's your goal weight. I've also read that 100-120g of protein per day is more than enough and that higher amounts don't really matter. I'd suggest doing some research on this and deciding from there. If you hit your daily protein goal and stay within your caloric limit, it shouldn't really matter too much where the rest of the calories come from in terms of fat loss. Do some research, stay within your limits, and use common sense. Good luck.

Comment

Do you think it is possible to start a plant base diet? I'm afraid I will not get the proper nutrients while I train Martial arts regularly. I'm not a fighter or anything.

Comment

Working...
              X