Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Andre Ward's ticket sales and (forced) inactivity the only critique to his career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
    I mean, those are literally the only two things that are brought up by Ward detractors. They don't seem to have any other content to attack him with. His ticket sales (which have nothing to do with his fighting ability) and his inactivity to which was forced upon him due to legal stuff.

What other bad things can you really say about the man? He's had an illustrious career so far and it's only getting better. After he beats Kovalev he'll be #1 and at the top of the sport once again.
    That's not true, his style is ugly which is why it does not generate crowds or attention.

There are other critiques as well, one is called Paul Smith (9 rounds lol) and the other Rodriguez.

Not to mention talk of weight (sshhh, it never happened).

So, you know, there's more than just fighting once a millennium and/or being boring and ugly.

But hey, if the Kovalev fight happens after 18 months worth of tune ups and if Ward wins, it's impressive no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx.. View Post
      avoided Dirrell?? Dirrell got hurt and pulled out the super 6

avoided Degale?? when?

Stevenson?? lol when?

Bute??? stop he didnt even want to get in the super 6
      Lol @ Ward a HBO fighter ducking Stevenson, a Showtime/Haymon fighter. That's funny they want to use the HBO/Showtime/Haymon angle only when it fits their agenda.

DeGale is the only one there he has a case for. DeGale called out Ward twice in interviews after the Dirrell and leading up to the DeGale-Bute fight. I wouldn't say it was ducking, it was just similar to Garcia and Postol, where Garcia already did everything he could have done at 140 so he moved up to 147. Ward moved up and now he is signed to fight two tough fighters in Barrera and Kovalev. Though Ward vs DeGale can still happen at 175 one day, and it will be bigger if they keep winning, hopefully Ward beats Barrera and Kovalev this year, and then DeGale moves up and calls out Ward. I want to see DeGale get Jack and Abraham at 168 and then move up to fight Ward. It would be a big fight, Ward would take it obviously the guy has signed to fight Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Kovalev, Barrera, Bika, he is not afraid of anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
        Not definitely better than Rigondeaux. A great craftsman of the sport in the mold of Hopkins, but Rigondeaux has all the same tools but power and greater athleticism and footwork.

I wouldn't call his inactivity forced either. He has been free of his promotional disputes for how long? How many times have we seen him fight?

Ward isn't inactive in the gym either. He stays training and sparring. He is ready, he is just waiting of his own will.
        Right, the amount of times Rigondeax was dropped compared to Ward

Rigo is utterly boring as well

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          If Chad Dawson-level is what you call a relevant fight, well then Gennady Golovkin hasn't had one relevant fight in his entire career.

Edwin Rodriguez was the #6 SMW when he fought Ward (http://www.tbrb.org/2013/11/17/12-november-2013/). Sullivan Barrera is the #7 LHW going into the Ward fight (http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ht-heavyweight).

Paul Smith is the only truly terrible fighter he fought, but even he was coming off back to back world title fights vs. Arthur Abraham. And let's be honest, is Paul Smith really that much worse than bums like Rubio, Monroe, and Wade?
          I think La Bomba was quite a respectable opponent who Ward deserves some credit for, and he's a big guy - certainly more of a LHW then he ever was a SMW, I also think Barrera looks promising, but Fat Dan's on the juice if he has Sullivan ranked at #7.

Comment

I mean, those are literally the only two things that are brought up by Ward detractors. They don't seem to have any other content to attack him with. His ticket sales (which have nothing to do with his fighting ability) and his inactivity to which was forced upon him due to legal stuff.

What other bad things can you really say about the man? He's had an illustrious career so far and it's only getting better. After he beats Kovalev he'll be #1 and at the top of the sport once again.
            He had a damn good argument for being the most unbeatable fighter in boxing after the Super 6. His tactics may not be pleasing to everyone, but he won against some very solid fighters and did it easily. Then nothing. More nothing. More nothing. More nothing. Then tune up. Then nothing...then tune up...then nothing...plus honestly, he sucks to watch fight IMO. I know some people dig it, but I just can't.

Comment

Well, he has a terrible resume for one; honestly, who did he really beat? A bunch of euro bums? He's overrated.
              Last edited by HandsofIron; 03-17-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx.. View Post
                avoided Dirrell?? Dirrell got hurt and pulled out the super 6

avoided Degale?? when?

Stevenson?? lol when?

Bute??? stop he didnt even want to get in the super 6
                lol

1) for Dirrell he used the - "the networks don't want it" and "he is my friend" excuse. (2012)

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/in..._interest.html

2) Degale has been saying Ward won't fight him, taunting Ward. Ward ever come back on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2ywA99PHU
                http://www.boxingscene.com/james-deg...ight-me--91432

3) Lucian Bute was never invited to the super six, he was left out on purpose and then after Ward won the tournament Ward didn't want to make the fight, making excuses.

http://www.*************.com/columns...ely-time-being

4)Stevenson and his team wanted to fight Ward... Ward said Stevenson didn't deserve to fight him.

http://www.*************.com/headlin...ith-stevenson/
                http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/11...e-to-fight-him

Anyways I've literally just schooled you but you will come back with excuses so i don't know why i wasted my time.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Lol @ Ward a HBO fighter ducking Stevenson, a Showtime/Haymon fighter. That's funny they want to use the HBO/Showtime/Haymon angle only when it fits their agenda.

DeGale is the only one there he has a case for. DeGale called out Ward twice in interviews after the Dirrell and leading up to the DeGale-Bute fight. I wouldn't say it was ducking, it was just similar to Garcia and Postol, where Garcia already did everything he could have done at 140 so he moved up to 147. Ward moved up and now he is signed to fight two tough fighters in Barrera and Kovalev. Though Ward vs DeGale can still happen at 175 one day, and it will be bigger if they keep winning, hopefully Ward beats Barrera and Kovalev this year, and then DeGale moves up and calls out Ward. I want to see DeGale get Jack and Abraham at 168 and then move up to fight Ward. It would be a big fight, Ward would take it obviously the guy has signed to fight Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Kovalev, Barrera, Bika, he is not afraid of anyone.
                  i never said ducking, i said avoiding. and see my post above for proof. Stevenson became a showtime fighter in 2014, he tried to make the fight with Ward in 2013... good try though.

Bute, was an HBO fighter during the super six but after the super six ended he tried to make Ward fight... Ward didn't want none of that... why is it so hard to accept. was a career high payday against the 2nd/3rd best SMW at that time. If Golovkin declined to fight the 2nd 3rd middleweight (for the biggest payday he ever had) you losers would crucify him.

you can post your opinion as much as you want but i will own you with facts... with articles, with videos. If you can post proof (not opinion) to the contrary i will gladly take it, until then

Comment

Working...
                  X