No announcement yet.

The WBC's new Rehydration Rule Goes Into Effect Tomorrow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WBC's new Rehydration Rule Goes Into Effect Tomorrow

According to the new rule, a boxer must weigh in at 9:30AM the morning of the fight (in addition to the Friday official weigh-in of course) tipping the scales at no more than 10% of the limit of the division they are competing in.

For Chavez Martinez, this means either fighter, with the focus of course being Chavez, must not exceed 176 lbs.

If Chavez continues the trend of weighing in at 180+ in the ring, the way I see it, he will have to essentially cut weight for the official weigh-in AND cut weight to make the rehydration weight the morning of the fight. Not to mention the 30day and the 7day safety weights as well.

But we're talking about a guy who doesn't have to take drug tests after his bouts, so there's a good chance that this rule goes overlooked anyway.

What kind of effect will this have on Chavez, if he is in fact forced to make that 176 lbs in the AM of the fight?

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
    According to the new rule, a boxer must weigh in at 9:30AM the morning of the fight (in addition to the Friday official weigh-in of course) tipping the scales at no more than 10% of the limit of the division they are competing in.

For Chavez Martinez, this means either fighter, with the focus of course being Chavez, must not exceed 176 lbs.

If Chavez continues the trend of weighing in at 180+ in the ring, the way I see it, he will have to essentially cut weight for the official weigh-in AND cut weight to make the rehydration weight the morning of the fight. Not to mention the 30day and the 7day safety weights as well.

But we're talking about a guy who doesn't have to take drug tests after his bouts, so there's a good chance that this rule goes overlooked anyway.

What kind of effect will this have on Chavez, if he is in fact forced to make that 176 lbs in the AM of the fight?
    Good and bad, what about heavy weights? Why we picking on the little guys.

Comment

LOL. What a worthless hydration clause.

Comment

kinda redundant. Fighter can still put on a lot of weight, get weighed in, and still have all day to fill up.

Comment

very interesting rule. It makes it harder for boxers to pick on little kids

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            very interesting rule. It makes it harder for boxers to pick on little kids
            No it doesn't. I honestly don't even think there has been a fighter to gain more than 10% weight after weight in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              No it doesn't. I honestly don't even think there has been a fighter to gain more than 10% weight after weight in.
              Of course there are.

Comment

Originally posted by AndNewChampion View Post
                Of course there are.
                I'm off ignore now?? LOL!!

Comment

Nice, I like that idea. Time to make guys fight in their appropriate weight classes and not take advantage of the system. Sergio re-hydrates like 6 pounds and Chavez puts on around 20. Let him fight some LHW's if he thinks he is a big boy, I'm sure Dawson or Pascal would love to give him a schooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    You need to pay more attention if you haven't ever heard of a fighter gaining up to 20 pounds after a weigh in.

Comment

Working...
                    X