Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the proper way to defend against Floyd's right hand lead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the proper way to defend against Floyd's right hand lead?

Floyd seems to time his opponents and use this punch more effectively as the fight goes on. He tagged Hatton repeateadly with that punch. I think a fighter has to keep Mayweather off balance, which is easier said than done. Once Mayweather times you it's very difficult to defend against that right hand lead. I think a fighter must display very good footwork and head movement to avoid it. A stationary fighter doesn't much of a chance to avoid that punch imo. What do you guys think?

The standard defenses against a right hand are to block it or to slip it. You have to know it's coming and be prepared.

It is easier said than done though, because Floyd mixes things up in there so well that you get dizzy trying to predict what he is going to do next.

Comment

You keep him from throwing it. It's too fast, too accurate. If he wants to land it, he will. The thing is his timing is just too damn good with it. You can't keep him off balance because as you even get near him you just run into that stiff right. Look at Ortiz for a recent example. Nobody really has the movement (martinez....MAYBE) to really be able to circle around it and stay out of range of it. I guess you could have a high guard, but even then he punches through it (like against Cotto), or he can throw it to the body, or the jab to the body. Or he'll use his great left hook and loop it around the guard. A good jab would help, but it's gunna take super human reflexes to try and dodge or slip it. Blocking just leaves other spots vulnerable against him, he thinks so fast on his feet. Don't know.

No scenario that I come up with will be good enough. I'm just a dude with some experience. It's like asking how to deal with Roy Jones Jr's athleticism back then.
      Last edited by NearHypnos; 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Cotto did a pretty good job, though the sweeping right hand kept landing.

Comment

if you sit back in your stance more the punch has a longer distance to travel or a guy who fights like bhop who always keeps a false front and his head off the centerline/line of attack. i shouldnt even be posting this, its some straight ninja ****.

Comment

You have to train the body so that you care more about blocking head shots than body shots in certain situations to avoid the lead right. Moving to your right helps too.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
              Floyd seems to time his opponents and use this punch more effectively as the fight goes on. He tagged Hatton repeateadly with that punch. I think a fighter has to keep Mayweather off balance, which is easier said than done. Once Mayweather times you it's very difficult to defend against that right hand lead. I think a fighter must display very good footwork and head movement to avoid it. A stationary fighter doesn't much of a chance to avoid that punch imo. What do you guys think?
              You have to have quick reflexes you need to slip that punch. Also i don't know why people try to head hunt on Floyd what they need to do is bang his arms for about 5 rounds and if he uses the elbow uppercut his elbow i bet that will stop that cause that punch can damage Flodys, thats how i would train somebody to fight Floyds shoulder
              Last edited by Luilun; 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM. Reason: miss letters

Comment

Chico held two gloves up and didn't care if Floyd hit him to the body, but he fell for so many of Floyds feints that he left himself unprotected, and eventually was hurt to the body or at least set up for Floyds left hook.

Comment

1)Being southpaw
                  2)A good fast double-jab. It must be fast.
                  3)Feints
                  4)Knowing that Floyd Mayweather JR leads opponents down a different path, gets their mind focussed on different things and then throws the lead left hook or the straight right.
                  5)Keep a good distance away from him when not engaging.

Comment

Use his own defense against him...health come first and don't fight him.

Comment

Working...
                    X