Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Opinion On The Current State Of Boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DionysusX View Post
    Lol, and which fighters constitute the 25% that's still alive?
    Jeez, I can't think of any.

My friends who follow casually don't know Canelo or Golovkin really and those are the 2 most popular fighters right now (to us)

Pacquiao is just cashing out fighting Vargas.

Truly fucked

Comment

Well, financially it's in dire straits and May/Pac was the straw that broke the camels back. PPVs have suffered as a result of that debacle and major networks aren't really looking to put on big fights in the US.

There's still a healthy following though but that's largely due to a rabid, racist fan base which only supports its own nationality or ethnicity, which kills the hopes of better fights because they only care about their guy winning, rather than fighting the best.

In Britain, there really isn't a star. AJ is verging on being one, Khan's career is coming to an end...and that's about it really, especially with Furys self destruction. However, without many stars, we've had more world title holders than ever before and the grassroots of boxing is still doing very well.

I guess it's a mixed bag really, as boxing has the talent to put on great fights but the desire is not there. We won't be seeing a run like what Holyfield went through or what Pacquiao did anytime soon.

Comment

We aren't getting another May-Pac thing anytime soon, maybe never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
          Jeez, I can't think of any.

My friends who follow casually don't know Canelo or Golovkin really and those are the 2 most popular fighters right now (to us)

Pacquiao is just cashing out fighting Vargas.

Truly fucked
          Fair enough.

Can you identify any boxers you think can pull boxing from the muck?

Personally, I'd kill to see Thurman try and do it. Not only because I'm a massive fan of his, but he has a knockout power, can be slick, is eloquent when he talks, wears suits and has shown the knack for a decent one liner. Floyd became the heel of boxing at 30, so if handled correctly and put in competitive, exciting fights in the coming two years, I think Keith has a real chance. Or at least I'd like him to.

Comment

The sport is like the wild west if that's an accurate way to describe it there is no order to it all we have too many divisions, too many belts and a case of fighters/promoters not willing to negotiate with other promoters.

The problem with boxing is compare it to a UFC fight care and ask yourself these certain things about that fight card
            • Was the undercard entertaining
            • Did the undercard have competitive fights
            • Was the main-event a fight that should have happened

Now here is how it differs the answer most of the time for UFC is a big fat YES to all of those whereas with boxing the first two mainly are answered with no and 50% of the time with the main-event question being yes/no.

Now that is a problem obviously but there are loads of problems with boxing, boxing fans brag about how much more money their athletes get over UFC/MMA athletes but they completely skip the part about their athletes fighting guys they should be every fight so boxers being paid too much is definitely an issue why would a fighter want to fight someone good for a million dollars (which absolutely should be considered good money) when he can fight a bum like Alexander Brand and earn the same money whilst Brand gets $30k?
            The fighters NEED to be forced into taking meaningful fights which leads to another problem... too many promotions and whatever way you want to look at it this is just an issue these guys rarely want to deal with each other because either one will make it impossible and maybe an odd one will be willing to negotiate.

UFC might be monopolized but If you ask people which is more entertaining I'm pretty certain UFC will win that vote most of the time too many greedy people in boxing ruining everything it's a great sport but it has way too many issues nobody wants to wait fxcking 6 years to see a fight with the best two fighters who are fighting in the same weight division that would NEVER EVER happen in the UFC it's an absolute joke this is why that company has tried to monopolize things so we can eventually force the best to fight the best.

And finally nobody wants to see a youth fight some 5 and 30 losses guy... NOBODY wants to see that shiet!!
            Competition is drastically needed for these youth kids pit them against one another let the best succeed its a dog eat world you can't spoon feed an 18 year old ffs.

Comment

I think it is being Humbled right now and I think it needs to hit Rock Bottom especially here in the US before picking itself back up. People only focus on PBC cutbacks but it is cutbacks going on all across boxing and even INVESTORS seems no longer interested in putting money into boxing

Comment

Fair enough.

Can you identify any boxers you think can pull boxing from the muck?

Personally, I'd kill to see Thurman try and do it. Not only because I'm a massive fan of his, but he has a knockout power, can be slick, is eloquent when he talks, wears suits and has shown the knack for a decent one liner. Floyd became the heel of boxing at 30, so if handled correctly and put in competitive, exciting fights in the coming two years, I think Keith has a real chance. Or at least I'd like him to.
                I think Thurman can do it but, looks like PBC is finished.

IMO Al messed around with too many networks. He should stick to Spike, I read on here they PAY to put on fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                  The sport is like the wild west if that's an accurate way to describe it there is no order to it all we have too many divisions, too many belts and a case of fighters/promoters not willing to negotiate with other promoters.

The problem with boxing is compare it to a UFC fight care and ask yourself these certain things about that fight card
                  • Was the undercard entertaining
                  • Did the undercard have competitive fights
                  • Was the main-event a fight that should have happened

Now here is how it differs the answer most of the time for UFC is a big fat YES to all of those whereas with boxing the first two mainly are answered with no and 50% of the time with the main-event question being yes/no.

Now that is a problem obviously but there are loads of problems with boxing, boxing fans brag about how much more money their athletes get over UFC/MMA athletes but they completely skip the part about their athletes fighting guys they should be every fight so boxers being paid too much is definitely an issue why would a fighter want to fight someone good for a million dollars (which absolutely should be considered good money) when he can fight a bum like Alexander Brand and earn the same money whilst Brand gets $30k?
                  The fighters NEED to be forced into taking meaningful fights which leads to another problem... too many promotions and whatever way you want to look at it this is just an issue these guys rarely want to deal with each other because either one will make it impossible and maybe an odd one will be willing to negotiate.

UFC might be monopolized but If you ask people which is more entertaining I'm pretty certain UFC will win that vote most of the time too many greedy people in boxing ruining everything it's a great sport but it has way too many issues nobody wants to wait fxcking 6 years to see a fight with the best two fighters who are fighting in the same weight division that would NEVER EVER happen in the UFC it's an absolute joke this is why that company has tried to monopolize things so we can eventually force the best to fight the best.

And finally nobody wants to see a youth fight some 5 and 30 losses guy... NOBODY wants to see that shiet!!
                  Competition is drastically needed for these youth kids pit them against one another let the best succeed its a dog eat world you can't spoon feed an 18 year old ffs.

^^^^^ Nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                    I think it is being Humbled right now and I think it needs to hit Rock Bottom especially here in the US before picking itself back up. People only focus on PBC cutbacks but it is cutbacks going on all across boxing and even INVESTORS seems no longer interested in putting money into boxing
                    How would you rescue or rebuild boxing once rock bottom has been hit?

Personally, I would streamline the number belts, and create situations in which the top boxers are more or less forced into action. Create a tournament/league of sorts for every weight class, have the contenders fight, gain "points", fight the champ at the end. Perhaps two or "leagues" per weight class/governing body, and upon the conclusion of the "leagues", there is a... decider in which the champs fight each other. IBO v IBF, WBA v WBO in semis, then the winners of those fight each other in a final.

That way, there is constant interest, because we have people keeping score, we have top rated contenders fighting each other with some semblance of regularity to climb up the standings/ratings and become champs, etc.

Might be a logistical nightmare, but it would force the best to fight each other, and we wouldn't be forced to have champs fighting in made up weight classes and the like.

Comment

I'm just curious to see how you all view the current state of our sport.

Are we still in a transition period? A year after Floyd retired, we have a situation where the guys who are being touted as the best are either dragging smaller guys up, or are fighting guys who have no chance of winning, or both in some cases. We also a vacuum in the WW division which was dominated for years by Mayweather, which seemingly doesn't want to be filled or plugged, we've got Fury and Wlad going nowhere, etc.

On the flip side, we have Kov vs Ward coming up and Manny coming out of "retirement".

After the Floyd and Manny period (I'm reluctant to call it an era) of domination, are more years like 2016 all we have to look forward to now, or do you all foresee improvement, or further degradation of the sport. Also, if you feel things are going down, how would you turn things around?

Discuss below. Looking for a mature discussion of views and opinions. Fanboy/hater inspired vitriol is not needed.
                      Funny enough, it all started with Floyd and perfected by Pacman. That's how we're reached to this point. But there isn't a vacuum at ww. There are some fine fine ww's right now. We had Porter/One time this year. That was an excellent scrap. There's that young kat knocking heads. All we need is for Garcia to find his balls again. There's a lot of potential there, minus the afore mentioned Pacman still hanging around fighting c class fighters.

But all that needs to be said is Ward/Kova is going down. That's one of the most important fights in quite some time. Then the possibility of GGG/DJ. Another meaningful fight.

If the boxing fans would purge themselves of the infatuation with Floyd/Pacman's overrated ppv runs of fighting guys they know they could beat, (past down to canelo), and demand quality ppv's, if there are going to be ppv's, like Ward/Kova, we could get this ship righted.

Some people have canelo as a top 5 pfp fighter. That seems crazy, because he's not the best at 160, hell, is he even the best at 154?? Lets keep it real. Most people didn't think he beat Lara and who's actually convinced he beats the Charlo bwoys and the BooBoo?

Comment

Working...
                      X