FAO Chief

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Chief

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.s...ers_n_cri.html

If you missed last Sunday's set from Partners N Crime and 5th Ward Weebie at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, you missed out. The high-energy, hour-long upbeat jam demonstrated the common roots of multiple branches of New Orleans street music, including bounce, brass bands and Indian chants.

Both Weebie and PNC were among the first local rappers to integrate R&B into bounce music. At Jazz Fest, hip-hop songstress and rapper Ms Tee joined both acts to belt out vintage collaborations like "Lovin' You," with 5th Ward Weebie, and "Why You Actin' Funny" with Kango Slimm of Partners N Crime. C. Smith, a percussionist and producer who's worked with both acts as well as Trombone Shorty, played electronic drums and DJ'd live; Shorty himself appeared for a second-line jam. The set split the difference between roots-influenced songs like PNC's classic "N.O. Block Party," which riffs on the "Iko Iko" melody, and club bangers like "Pump The Party" and Weebie's new single "Bend It Ova Back It Up."

New Orleans bounce shows are well served by a close nightclub atmosphere. At Jazz Fest, the gulf between stage and crowd, plus the light of day, can conspire against a lone MC rapping over a track, attenuating the experience. Weebie and PNC's revue, which included the Big Easy Bounce Band (Jon Gross on sousaphone, drummer-about-town Eric Heigle, Drew Meehan on keys, Reggie Nicholls on keys and samples, Matt Clark on guitar and percussionist Herb Stevens) and the livewire dancers of Big Choo's Game Ova Boys, didn't have that problem.

On Monday, May 9, PNC and Weebie will reunite with the live band at the Boot on Tulane's campus for a gig that's being billed as the School's Out Bounce Party. They'll be joined by 90's veteran Ricky B, who's also notable for recording bounce tracks anchored by marching and brass-band sounds. (The fest's over - now finals are, too.)

The School's Out Bounce Party, sponsored by Captain Morgan, kicks off at 10 p.m. Monday, May 9 at the Boot, 1039 Broadway at Zimple St., 866-9008.

ILL BE THERE ON MONDAY

sounds very tempting...........

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      sounds very tempting...........
      you gonna make it over for any of the last weekend of the fest?

ill be in no at 9:35 am on saturday

Comment

Speaking of brass bands from New Orleans, if anyone likes that kind of music you must check out The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I saw them in February and they are absolutely amazing! I don't have any videos but here's some pics I took from the show

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
          http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.s...ers_n_cri.html

If you missed last Sunday's set from Partners N Crime and 5th Ward Weebie at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, you missed out. The high-energy, hour-long upbeat jam demonstrated the common roots of multiple branches of New Orleans street music, including bounce, brass bands and Indian chants.

Both Weebie and PNC were among the first local rappers to integrate R&B into bounce music. At Jazz Fest, hip-hop songstress and rapper Ms Tee joined both acts to belt out vintage collaborations like "Lovin' You," with 5th Ward Weebie, and "Why You Actin' Funny" with Kango Slimm of Partners N Crime. C. Smith, a percussionist and producer who's worked with both acts as well as Trombone Shorty, played electronic drums and DJ'd live; Shorty himself appeared for a second-line jam. The set split the difference between roots-influenced songs like PNC's classic "N.O. Block Party," which riffs on the "Iko Iko" melody, and club bangers like "Pump The Party" and Weebie's new single "Bend It Ova Back It Up."

New Orleans bounce shows are well served by a close nightclub atmosphere. At Jazz Fest, the gulf between stage and crowd, plus the light of day, can conspire against a lone MC rapping over a track, attenuating the experience. Weebie and PNC's revue, which included the Big Easy Bounce Band (Jon Gross on sousaphone, drummer-about-town Eric Heigle, Drew Meehan on keys, Reggie Nicholls on keys and samples, Matt Clark on guitar and percussionist Herb Stevens) and the livewire dancers of Big Choo's Game Ova Boys, didn't have that problem.

On Monday, May 9, PNC and Weebie will reunite with the live band at the Boot on Tulane's campus for a gig that's being billed as the School's Out Bounce Party. They'll be joined by 90's veteran Ricky B, who's also notable for recording bounce tracks anchored by marching and brass-band sounds. (The fest's over - now finals are, too.)

The School's Out Bounce Party, sponsored by Captain Morgan, kicks off at 10 p.m. Monday, May 9 at the Boot, 1039 Broadway at Zimple St., 866-9008.

ILL BE THERE ON MONDAY
          Ayyyyeee Naaahhh Bruhnlaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes indeed I missed out fa sho on that there. And Ricky B is one of my all-time favorites bruh. I was a young man when he dropped Ya'll Holla Ya'll(My favorite bounce jam). PNC up there two wit NO Block party. Bruh if I wasnt goin to the Stan in 8 days I woulda been there bruh. Please believe it.

And I tell you bruh. You betta party yo ass off fa me ya heard me? I sat on the bench right cross from Shorty when Rebirth tow the Maple Leaf down earlier last month we me and the Mrs was at home.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
            Speaking of brass bands from New Orleans, if anyone likes that kind of music you must check out The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I saw them in February and they are absolutely amazing! I don't have any videos but here's some pics I took from the show

Now I knw you mah ptna SP87. The Dirty Dozen always bring that fiya. So do the Rascals bruh.

Comment

Also Trombone Shorty is also from New Orleans

Comment

Ya'll Holla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
                  Now I knw you mah ptna SP87. The Dirty Dozen always bring that fiya. So do the Rascals bruh.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
                    Also Trombone Shorty is also from New Orleans

Yea. He play fa Rebith. Me and the Mrs saw um live at the Maple Leaf last month. Shorty got ta goin live on um bruh. I think I got a pic or two on mah cellular phone. Imma see bout puttin it on here right quick.

Comment

Working...
                    X