Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Welterweight Ghosts That Won't Go Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Thurman and Garcia should both keeping fighting up the ranks. Berto shouldn't be on either of their radars. They should fight either Brook or Spence, even both. Porter can be thrown in again. Crawford could jump up. Neither Thurman nor Garcia should be in neutral. It'll be a hard sell to see Thurman and Berto again. I would like to see Garcia and Porter, which should be easy considering Porter should be able to beat Berto. If Spence beats Brook, why wait 2-3 years to see him fight Thurman? Spence is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      Yeah, no. The absolute truth is that Thurman and Garcia gave us closer to what Hearns and Sugar did.

Yes Floyd and Pacman were mega stars, but they fought undefeated prime fighters few and far in between. And they never fought anyone on prime tv once they got to a certain status.

Pacman is fighting Amir friggin Khan, who the **** really, actually cares about that hogwash, seriously? I'll take 2 young, prime welterweights fighting each other on regular tv over a Floyd/Pacman cherrypick mismatch on ppv 100 out of 100 times.

Preach............

Comment

This WW fight is becoming like a ghost:

March 2, 2017:

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum remains unsure if the proposed Manny Pacquiao-Amir Khan fight in the United Arab Emirates will happen, but he said that if it does it will not be on April 23 (April 22 in the United States) as the fighters have said it would be.

Nor is Arum sure if it will happen on May 19 (May 20 in the U.S.), the date Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz told Yahoo Sports it was being moved to. In fact, there is nothing quite certain about the fight, Arum said.

"The point is that this is all so premature," Arum told ESPN on Wednesday. "It's all bulls---. But Manny is not going to fight in April. I don't even know if May is feasible. I haven't even talked to Manny. All it is right now is a discussion. It's like somebody saying, 'Hey, let's build a new stadium for the Raiders in Las Vegas.' You can say anything, but we're a long way from it being done..."

Arum, however, said he is not getting ahead of himself with regard to Pacquiao-Khan.

"This could all go away like the breeze," he said. "If you can find the money, if you can find that $38 million, I'll give you 10 percent, make it 20 percent. The point is a lot of these deals take time to put together, to find money and everything. We're not there."

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...amir-khan-bout

Comment

No real seperation in WW....yet

So far most the WW at the top are evenly matched. No one has really put themselves distinctly above the rest. Thurman won a very close fight with Garcia and Porter but really nobody would have complained if those fights were a draw. Which if they were street fights that's what everyone would be saying...they took some and gave some but both gave a good account of themselves.

Comment

Im thankful the fight happened. We need more top rated fighters to square off.
            The Leonard/Hearns comparison was a marketing tool. I myself knew that the current crop of fighters don't measure up to the legends of the div.
            It's a different time as Leonard put it.
            Fighters get paid a lot more coming up in this era than ones from the past (deservedly).
            The way to make life changing money in the past Was to fight the best. I don't fault a fighter if he is wanting to get rich. That's on him. Some fighters fight for the glory of being a champion or daring to be great. That's they're call too.
            When the sport give the "best vs the best", no complaints here even if it wasn't a foty type.

Comment

Working...
            X