No announcement yet.

Interesting numbers regarding PPV'S

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Old timey fan of nerding out on PPV bs. Here's some potential fun lil PPV rankings.

Top 5 PPV's without a US or Mexican fighter

1 - Pacquiao vs Cotto (2009) 1.2M+
    2 - Pacquiao vs Hatton (2009) 800k+
    3 - Pacquiao vs Clottey (2010) 700k+
    4 - Lewis vs Tua (2000) 400k+
    5 - Martinez vs Cotto (2014) 300k+

Top 5 PPV's with 2 black guys

1 - Tyson vs Holyfield II (1996) 1.9M+
    2 - Tyson vs Lewis (2002) 1.9M+
    3 - Tyson vs Holyfield I (1996) 1.5M+
    4 - Holyfield vs Foreman (1991) 1.4M+
    5 - Mayweather vs Mosley (2010) 1.4M+

Top 5 PPV's with a white guy (Canelo don't count)

1 - Mayweather vs McGregor (2017) ???
    2 - Tyson vs McNeeley (1996) 1.5M+
    3 - Mayweather vs Hatton (2007) 900k+
    4 - Pacquiao vs Hatton (2009) 800k+
    5 - Tyson vs Botha (1999) 700k+
    Cotto was born in Rhode Island, he is literally American.

Canelo's race is white, so he is a 'white' guy. His ethnic group is Latino.

It's like Hatton is white, his ethnic group is English. McGregor is white, his ethnic group is Irish. Canelo is white, his ethnic group is Latino. You can not look at Canelo and deny him being white, quite possibly of Spanish ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
      The Evander Holyfield vs George Foreman fight on April 19, 1991 generated a buy rate of 1.4 million. That might not seem like a big number, but It's enormous when you consider that only 16 1/2 million homes had access to the fight. Which means 8 percent of those homes bought It. A buy rate that remains a record.

Around 100 million have access to PPV today. Eight percent of that total would be 8 million. A figure that Mayweather vs Mcgregor or Mayweather vs Pacquiao did not come close to.
      You need to factor in the price of the ppv. I'm certain the price for May PAC substantially out paced inflation. What I'm trying to say is that if the May PAC fight cost the same as the Holyfield fight In terms of adjusted value I suspect it won't be as impressive. Or said diffently the May PAC fight would have sold a lot more. He

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Cotto was born in Rhode Island, he is literally American.
        Wikipedia disagrees with you.
        "Miguel Ángel Cotto Vázquez (born October 29, 1980) is a Puerto Rican professional boxer."

Canelo's race is white, so he is a 'white' guy. His ethnic group is Latino.

It's like Hatton is white, his ethnic group is English. McGregor is white, his ethnic group is Irish. Canelo is white, his ethnic group is Latino. You can not look at Canelo and deny him being white, quite possibly of Spanish ancestry.
        Have you seen Canelo's mom? She's for sure hispanic. At worst he's not 100% white just like Andre Ward isn't 100% black in my eyes. And usually it seems anyone who's not simply white with two white parents is usually considered biracial & quite often considered the darker race they are associated with no matter how well they can sell it much of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          Not really impressive when you take into account streaming. Sure more homes have access to PPV now but more homes have access to watching the fight for free.
          People always talk about streaming but forget about the black box of the 90s. That was the original streaming.

Comment

Wikipedia disagrees with you.
            "Miguel Ángel Cotto Vázquez (born October 29, 1980) is a Puerto Rican professional boxer."
            Lol...keep scrolling...it says born in Providence, RI. That literally makes him American. Sure he claims his nationality is PR, and that's what websites will say to respect who he feels he is. But he was born in the United States, which makes him American.

Comment

Lol...keep scrolling...it says born in Providence, RI. That literally makes him American. Sure he claims his nationality is PR, and that's what websites will say to respect who he feels he is. But he was born in the United States, which makes him American.
              He seems aggressively Puerto Rican to me. Idk that being born in the US changes that. Money Powell IV was born in Germany. Does that make him German?

Comment

Old timey fan of nerding out on PPV bs. Here's some potential fun lil PPV rankings.

Top 5 PPV's without a US or Mexican fighter

1 - Pacquiao vs Cotto (2009) 1.2M+
                2 - Pacquiao vs Hatton (2009) 800k+
                3 - Pacquiao vs Clottey (2010) 700k+
                4 - Lewis vs Tua (2000) 400k+
                5 - Martinez vs Cotto (2014) 300k+

Top 5 PPV's 2 black guys

1 - Tyson vs Holyfield II (1996) 1.9M+
                2 - Tyson vs Lewis (2002) 1.9M+
                3 - Tyson vs Holyfield I (1996) 1.5M+
                4 - Holyfield vs Foreman (1991) 1.4M+
                5 - Mayweather vs Mosley (2010) 1.4M+

Top 5 PPV's with a white guy (Canelo don't count)

1 - Mayweather vs McGregor (2017) ???
                2 - Tyson vs McNeeley (1996) 1.5M+
                3 - Mayweather vs Hatton (2007) 900k+
                4 - Pacquiao vs Hatton (2009) 800k+
                5 - Tyson vs Botha (1999) 700k+
                That's racist af...

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  That's racist af...
                  Why is two black guys fighting racist af?

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
                    The Evander Holyfield vs George Foreman fight on April 19, 1991 generated a buy rate of 1.4 million. That might not seem like a big number, but It's enormous when you consider that only 16 1/2 million homes had access to the fight. Which means 8 percent of those homes bought It. A buy rate that remains a record.

Around 100 million have access to PPV today. Eight percent of that total would be 8 million. A figure that Mayweather vs Mcgregor or Mayweather vs Pacquiao did not come close to.
                    Great post. I'd give you rep but I'm still at negative 1000 thanks to dehydrator

I love a good post that gives you an interesting persepective. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's true that we use race interchangeably and in correct terms it's wrong. But Puerto Rican describes a heritage of people from a certain island. They're ancestry is partially Spaniard and partially Native American and
                      among a host of other mixtures- including African .

We always acceppt PR as race, why pick it apart now.

Comment

Working...
                      X