What type of tipper are you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of tipper are you?

—that there are tipper-types:

1.) The 15 Percenter This type of tipper knows that the tip percentage is 15%, and he knows exactly how to calculate it. He knows that some restaurants print out the 15%, 18% and 20% tip amounts on the bottom of the receipt, and he also knows that if this method fails, that his cell phone has a calculator tool on it that will instantly give him the 15% tip amount. He will calculate down to the penny what 15% is, and give exactly that, regardless of whether or not the payment is in cash or credit. What this type of tipper does not know is that 15% is generally given as a standard for very basic, acceptable, sub-par attentive service from the server.

2.) The Five Dollar Biller This type of tipper truly believes that a five dollar bill is an extraordinary tip for any type of service and check amount. So what if they worked the server to the bone, requesting extra everything on the side, and needing six refills on their fountain soda? So what if their check came out to $137? So what if societal standard for a tip is 15-20%? This type of tipper will put a big dash through the tip line on the credit card slip, slap down a five dollar bill, and expect the server to be absolutely elated and thankful for their generosity.

3.) The Church Go-er This type of tipper generally comes into the restaurant setting on a Sunday afternoon following a church gathering. They can usually be spotted in their fine Sunday attire, sometimes sporting extravagant hats adorned with huge flowers, feathers, fruits and birds. This type of tipper probably went to church, heard everything the pastor was saying about giving to thy neighbor, but completely disregarded it as soon as they stepped foot into the restaurant because like the Five Dollar Biller, the Church Go-er’s tip is completely independent of the level of service, the amount of service, and the check total. No matter what, the Church Go-er’s tip will always be a few one dollar bills, and a piece of paper with a Bible teaching of the day on it. When the Church Go-er gets up to leave, he or she will hold the server’s hands, thank him or her profusely, say “God bless you”, and invite the server to come to church to find God.

4.) The Savings Bond Baby This type of tipper is usually the son or daughter of wealthy parents who started a savings bond for them the moment they were conceived. He or she has never worked for anything in their lives, or paid for anything out of their own pockets, so they are unable to grasp the concept of money. This proves to be a horrible thing for servers, because most likely, the Savings Bond Baby will expect the server to wait on him or her hand on foot, and will leave no tip simply because they don’t know what being grateful or polite means.

5.) The Complimenter This type of tipper will tell the server throughout the meal that they have never experienced such wonderful, flawless service before in their lives. They will shower the server with compliments, thank the server profusely, and actually treat the server like a human being. They will be very polite and grateful, leaving the server the think Wow! All my hard work is finally going to pay off, and I will finally receive a 20% tip!, only to be severely disappointed when the tipper leaves only $2-$4 on a $76 check because this type of tipper somehow believes that complimenting the server is equivalent to leaving an appropriate monetary tip.

6.) The Post-Discounter This type of tipper will rack up a check of $259, and then whip out a series of coupons, promotional offers, and gift cards, which brings the check down to $62. Great for the tipper —he or she saves a ton of money! Not so great for the server, as this type of tipper believes that since the check is now only $62, he or she needs to only tip 20% of that final amount, regardless of the fact that the original amount was four times that amount. Instead of leaving the server the deserved $50 tip, the Post-Discounter will leave only $12.

7.) The Over-Compensator This type of tipper usually comes into a restaurant with really annoying, ungrateful, sometimes rude guests who run the server ragged. The tipper is the only one at the table who recognizes this unruly behavior of his or her guests, and is the only one who tries to keep order at the table and who apologizes to the server from time to time. He or she is the only one at the table who seems to be sane and a normal part of society. As a result of the poor treatment given to the server by this tipper’s guests, this tipper will over-compensate and give the server 25-30% as a sort of Sorry, I.O.U gesture. It’s totally worth it to the server, despite the fact that the table and surrounding areas are left in war-zone like conditions.

8.) The Restaurant Virgin This type of tipper is usually foreign, but sometimes is a fellow American who has never dined out in their entire lives, other than places like McDonald’s, where no tip is required, or the local 24/hr diner where the town’s social outcasts come in and don’t leave tips because they are unaware of societal standards. This type of tipper generally need hand-holding throughout the entire ordering process, down to detail descriptions of the menu items, and even help in pronouncing some of the words on the menu. They stare blankly at the server when he or she comes back to check on their meal and progress, as they are unused to such service. They always ask if they pay at the front, and sometimes, even have the audacity to ask if a tip is necessary. The Restaurant Virgin isn’t too bad to wait on aside from the fact that they leave a measly 8-10% tip because they are most likely not to be high maintenance guests.

9.) The Date-Seeker This type of tipper comes in with a group of their buddies and order up rounds of drinks and appetizers, and then proceed to sit at the table for a long period of time, dabbling with the question of whether or not to order dinner or dessert. They usually are very, very nice to the server, and try to act extremely cool and well-mannered towards their buddies, in an attempt to impress the server. They are polite, and not too bad to wait on, and tip at least 20%, along with a pick up line and phone number, in hopes of winning a date with the server

Depends on the service.

/Thread

Comment

what about the tipper who gives more than 15%? Cause thats me.

Comment

Originally posted by the reed View Post
        depends on the service.

/thread
        this............

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED View Post
          Depends on the service.

/Thread
          What he said.......

/Thread

Comment

I make sure to treat my bartenders good. And if good enough, you can say keep pouring. Haha. If I go to a place a lot, I tend to leave nice tips so they remember next time. They usually hook it up.

Comment

Generally 20%, never below 18%. I worked as a waiter throughout college.

Comment

Not a single penny over the normal price....
                Mandatory only exists in America and dear I say stupid.
                Why would you tip for everything?
                What if the service sucked and the food was bad do they deserve a tip?

I get that America have those weird loopholes when it comes to waiters and their salary is based on it.
                But why should it be tied to the salary?
                Makes no fu'kking sense!
                It's a big scam restaurant owners get away with on the cost of the waiter and the customers

Comment

Btw... is it true that many spit on your food the next time you visit the place if you did'n't tip the last time?

Comment

all about service...
                    when the waiter refills my drink without me asking
                    that's a winner...
                    I even tip when I get gas as long as
                    I get a "how you doing"
                    I'm very a generous tipper...
                    bad service I tip the minimum
                    and when I'm done I speak to manger
                    about the bad service I got...

Comment

Working...