Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Bigger Crook - Bob Arum or Don King?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Bigger Crook - Bob Arum or Don King?

I know it's a tough one, both have ruined careers, criminally underpaid fighters, fixed fights, told millions of lies, prevented great fights, put guys on the shelf for years because they wanted to leave, I could go on and on. But ultimately who is worse and why? Who fixed/prevented more fights? I know both did a lot.

I'd like to say King because I think he fixed more fights, but he probably did more co-promotions than Arum who for years prevented lots of great fights from happening and kept it all in house. King also kept guys on the shelf for years and did lots of crazy things, Arum is also a scumbag though because he's manipulated so many people and fighters. One thing where King has the edge is a lot of his PPV's in the 90's were very good and stacked with a lot of good fighters. Look at The Bobfather's cards with Pacquiao on in recent years, let's be honest most of them have been trash. Especially the undercard fights, just plain terrible.

I'm spoiled for choice here, it's really hard, but I think i'll go with Arum.
    Bob "I Have No Soul" Arum
    20.00%
    Don "Keep You On The Shelf!" King
    80.00%
    Last edited by JK1700; 07-05-2017, 08:57 PM.

tbh Don is the biggest crook but he's got a lot of good fights promoted under his belt

Comment

No one comes close to Don King

Comment

Don's also a really big scumbag too lmfao
        not a guy you'd want to hang around, Mike Tyson (and a lot of other fighters) learned the hard way.

Comment

This is true guys, at least Bob would keep his guys active. Like Pacquiao was always fighting 2 times a year, a lot of King's guy's certainly later on were fighting once a year which obviously isn't enough. King had good cards in the 90's, when he had Tyson, Chavez, Ricardo Lopez, Terry Norris etc but I think it's a safe bet to say the man fixed more fights than anyone in boxing history except maybe the mob,

Comment

Yeah, probably also had a hand in that horrible draw decision in the first Lewis/Holyfield fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Yeah, probably also had a hand in that horrible draw decision in the first Lewis/Holyfield fight.
              He definitely did, that's one of the worst decisions ever for sure. Lennox actually did way better in that first fight than the one he actually got the nod in.

Ok now having thought more about this topic, I have to disagree with the poll. Let me remind you guys, Bob Arum defended Antonio Margarito after he was caught with plaster of paris in his gloves. Then brought him back for a big money fight with Manny Pacquiao. It's really crazy that he was allowed to get off basically unscathed from that. People go to jail for years and years for a lot less.

Comment

There is no difference. King cheated the public less because he promoted a lot of full cards with excellent warmup matches. That was more a sign of the times than King's honesty. He could not cheat those fighters out of big money unless fans were paying big money in mass.

Arum looks and sounds more legitimate, but is schooled deep in scumbaggery himself. He has told you so, as in "Yesterday I was lying."

We do not usually get to see multi-millionaires scrambling for their bucks, except among boxing promoters. Where else do you see that? Nowhere. Microsoft and Google fight their wars very distantly. We do not see Bill Gates bashing the owners of Google, or Bill Gates out there doing a carnival barker's routine for millions. Just King and Arum. We see them scramble and dodge.

It tells us one thing--hauling in those millions must bring a great feeling, boys. We will never know what it is like to have literally anything you want, but both of these slobs have known it for decades and still cannot get enough. It is an old fashioned penny scramble of the highest order. As crooks, these men are as evenly matched as Morales and Barrera were as fighters. A clear draw to me.
                Last edited by The Old LefHook; 07-06-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  There is no difference. King cheated the public less because he promoted a lot of full cards with excellent warmup matches. That was more a sign of the times than King's honesty. He could not cheat those fighters out of big money unless fans were paying big money in mass.

Arum looks and sounds more legitimate, but is schooled deep in scumbaggery himself. He has told you so, as in "Yesterday I was lying."

We do not usually get to see multi-millionaires scrambling for their bucks, except among boxing promoters. Where else do you see that? Nowhere. Microsoft and Google fight their wars very distantly. We do not see Bill Gates bashing the owners of Google, or Bill Gates out there doing a carnival barker's routine for millions. Just King and Arum. We see them scramble and dodge.

It tells us one thing--hauling in those millions must bring a great feeling, boys. We will never know what it is like to have literally anything you want, but both of these slobs have known it for decades and still cannot get enough. It is an old fashioned penny scramble of the highest order. As crooks, these men are as evenly matched as Morales and Barrera were as fighters. A clear draw to me.
                  Well, some of us will, hahaha. And I agree money is a hell of a drug people will do anything to get it and keep getting it (you see this in the news and in your day-to-day life all the time). If anything Bob has shown us that boxing is way more of a business than a sport (he's not the only one to blame for this) but he prevented big fights until the very last minute, kept all his fights in-house for years, and when contracts expired he screwed over whoever was looking to leave. As bad and evil as all this is, it made him more money than doing it any other way

Comment

Arum is more dangerous because he has the veneer of legitimacy. What with being a Harvard law graduate and all. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X