No announcement yet.

Browns Boxing Cards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns Boxing Cards

Way back in'86 I had sent away for some boxing cards that I had seen advertised in KO magazine. Boxing cards had not been produced for many years and I was all about getting the sets. There were 3 sets made at the time, I bought all of them. The stand out of the sets were the '84 Olympians; Holyfield, Whitaker, etc. all young with just a few fights under their belts.

Since that time Browns has made more sets. I believe that there are 8 sets now, I may be wrong. I just ordered another set, the 10th Anniversary edition, so maybe there are 10 sets, it'll be here soon. I just received the 1990 set, nice cards.

Anyway, any time is a good time to pick up the old card book and have a look through. I have the Kayo and Ringside sets in there too, along with some older Exhibit Cards. For some reason I never cared to put the All World set in pages. Looking through them just bring bac good memories.

I remember a Detroit boxing coach looking through the book. He really liked them but when he saw this one Exhibit card he really lit up. He points to the card, that's my father he says with a big smile. The coach, and friend, was Lloyd Hank. If you're from the Detroit area you would know that his father was one formidable fighter named Henry Hank.

He asked if he could keep the card. Lloyd was a super guy, class and dignity is how he rolled. I happily gave him the card seeing how his face just glowed after seeing the card of his father. I dig my cards but I saw that the card could never mean to me what it meant to Lloyd.

Anyway, I dig these Browns sets. A boxing lovers delight.........

I love Brown's cards. I bought all the sets quite a few years ago added the last set when it came out. When I first bought the sets I spoke to mister Brown on the phone and it was him that first got me into boxing on the internet,(many years back). Anyways one of the reasons I like Browns is because they feature many of the fighters that actually make up the sport, not just the stars.

P.S.
    Rockin', I also bought those other sets and keep all of them in notebooks with card holders.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I love Brown's cards. I bought all the sets quite a few years ago added the last set when it came out. When I first bought the sets I spoke to mister Brown on the phone and it was him that first got me into boxing on the internet,(many years back). Anyways one of the reasons I like Browns is because they feature many of the fighters that actually make up the sport, not just the stars.

P.S.
      Rockin', I also bought those other sets and keep all of them in notebooks with card holders.
      That's cause we're cool boxing fans.

I took the book around a bit getting them signed and such. Generally speaking, boxers don't have great hand writing, but it's them. I had Emanuel Steward sign his Kayo card. They spelled his name wrong on the card, he scribbled out the T and wrote in a D and then signed it.

I really dig that Kayo set though too, it's just loaded with excellent fighters. But Browns is extremely limited in production compared to the Kayo set, or all of the other 'modern' sets for that matter. Do you know if the later sets were limited to a production of only 10,000 sets as well?

How many different sets were there made through the years? Is Brown still alive?
      Last edited by Rockin'; 07-14-2015, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        That's cause we're cool boxing fans.

I took the book around a bit getting them signed and such. Generally speaking, boxers don't have great hand writing, but it's them. I had Emanuel Steward sign his Kayo card. They spelled his name wrong on the card, he scribbled out the T and wrote in a D and then signed it.

I really dig that Kayo set though too, it's just loaded with excellent fighters. But Browns is extremely limited in production compared to the Kayo set, or all of the other 'modern' sets for that matter. Do you know if the later sets were limited to a production of only 10,000 sets as well?

How many different sets were there made through the years? Is Brown still alive?
        Planing on getting these
        Last edited by lazy; 07-14-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I have kayo and Ringlords sets. Why don''t they make them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by lazy View Post
            I have kayo and Ringlords sets. Why don''t they make them anymore.
            I forgot about Ring Lords, that's a nice set.

"Why don't they make them anymore"? I don't know.........

Comment

Working...
            X