Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of people are saying it is because the fights arent good enough to warrant ppv, but thats ridiculous because Kovalev vs Ward was supposed to be the next great superfight and it sold only 160k ppvs.

This is fan backlash for all the years boxing has robbed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      There isn't reallllly a type of fight that is or isn't PPV worthy despite that being many fight fans spin. The reality is that any fight where the revenue from buys surpasses​ the expenses of the fight is a PPV fight that makes sense to the guy putting it on.

Not any except for one costed $100 that I'm aware of, but it is a relevant topic that revenue is the vastly superior figure with ppv sh_t, but it's just so hidden a number for most fights that people tend to stick to buys which are the more openly discussed numbers.
      There were many, many fights in the 90's that would have been profitable on PPV that were on premium cable instead.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        There were many, many fights in the 90's that would have been profitable on PPV that were on premium cable instead.
        There's fights now that are on premium cable, non-premium cable or "free tv" that could've been profitable on PPV. And hell brother any fight in theory could be profitable on PPV with the right expenses/purses for the drawing ability of the main fight or the overall card. I don't understand the point.

I remember buying a $20ish toughman national championship PPV back in the day for sh^ts & giggles, where Butterbean came in 2nd iirc, that probably paid $30k-$50k for purses/expenses so 3,001-5,001 buys woulda gotten them profitable is my assumption. And thats not even counting the event tickets, concessions, shirts & sponsorship money that played into their overall revenue.

There is no such thing as a "PPV worthy" PPV. Its simply a business move & anything that can avoid being in the negative when all the money is counted was PPV worthy by virtue of having made a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
          A lot of people are saying it is because the fights arent good enough to warrant ppv, but thats ridiculous because Kovalev vs Ward was supposed to be the next great superfight and it sold only 160k ppvs.

This is fan backlash for all the years boxing has robbed them.
          PPV's have never sold on competitiveness, I think the 3 Pacquaio vs Morales fights sold only 1M-ish combined. PPV's sell on names.

If you get a fight deemed competitive that also has names thats when you get the really crazy numbers, except for Tyson maybe who could sell 1M+ even if people expected a mismatch.

Comment

Marvin Johnson, Prince Naseem, Gatti...PPV worthy, everyone else since then....meh

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
              Its an obvious answer I think. Everything has been down hill ever since the Pac vs Floyd fight. It had a chance to really bring the fans in, but was a complete dud and really turned potential new fans away from the sport. I mean, the fight was watched by soo many people world wide, it was going to play a huge role in the future of the sports audience. I know the Canelo vs Cotto fight did great numbers as well, but that honestly had more to do with Puerto Rico and Mexico always supporting their fighters, and add the casual/ hardcore boxing fans to that already high number. But ever since then, its been weak. Anyone else have a reason?
              There is no correlation between previous PPV's sold with 2 different boxers and PPV's sold following those.

Sometimes the answer is really simple and we miss it because we look to far past it or dig to deep looking for something else.

Canelo, GGG, Ward, Kov and every one else are not as good, popular or charismatic as Floyd or Manny.

Comment

its not due to streaming. brook v ggg sold 500k over here in uk. joshua v wlad will do huge numbers. streams were around when pacquiao fought mayweather and that made big numbers. the problem is that haymon and the other american promoters are outdated and arent creating a buzz around the new school of fighters, they arent building them up as personalities and noones invested in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  There's fights now that are on premium cable, non-premium cable or "free tv" that could've been profitable on PPV. And hell brother any fight in theory could be profitable on PPV with the right expenses/purses for the drawing ability of the main fight or the overall card. I don't understand the point.

I remember buying a $20ish toughman national championship PPV back in the day for sh^ts & giggles, where Butterbean came in 2nd iirc, that probably paid $30k-$50k for purses/expenses so 3,001-5,001 buys woulda gotten them profitable is my assumption. And thats not even counting the event tickets, concessions, shirts & sponsorship money that played into their overall revenue.

There is no such thing as a "PPV worthy" PPV. Its simply a business move & anything that can avoid being in the negative when all the money is counted was PPV worthy by virtue of having made a profit.
                  This is why I ****s with you. Agree on all counts.

Comment

What a dumbass . You can't blame a ****ty fight that should never be on ppv flopping (as they should flop) on Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Good fights involving legit stars produce good numbers.

Successful PPV fights use to be a legit star vs legit star or legit star fighting a tough fight... Pacquiao vs Rios and Mayweather vs Berto shouldn't have been on ppv. GGG should never have been on ppv. Ward vs KOvalev shouldn't have been on ppv.

Some of these ppv fights were only ppv because of divas demanding more than they should... like Jacobs. You can't blame Mayweather vs Pacquiao for **** fights being put on ppv that belong on normal network tv. GGG is not a ppv star... never will be either so get use to him not drawing for ****.
                    Last edited by Fists_of_Fury; 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                      What a dumbass . You can't blame a ****ty fight that should never be on ppv flopping (as they should flop) on Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Good fights involving legit stars produce good numbers.

Successful PPV fights use to be a legit star vs legit star or legit star fighting a tough fight... Pacquiao vs Rios and Mayweather vs Berto shouldn't have been on ppv. GGG should never have been on ppv. Ward vs KOvalev shouldn't have been on ppv.

Some of these ppv fights were only ppv because of divas demanding more than they should... like Jacobs. You can't blame Mayweather vs Pacquiao for **** fights being put on ppv that belong on normal network tv. GGG is not a ppv star... never will be either so get use to him not drawing for ****.

Facts.......

Comment

Working...
                      X