Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Who Is The Number One "Pound For Pound" Boxer Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Ward
    2. Lomachenko

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
      any list without Ward #1 is not a respectable list. period.

quality of opponents matter.

Kovalev top five p4p, feared, ducked, undefeated, prime. a guy even Mayweather advised Ward to stay away from.

Jacobs. 2nd best at 160 but that's not saying too much since that division is not deep. nowhere near a p4p list.

Rungvisai. a guy with a padded record who nobody knows a damn thing about.

Ward p4p best no matter how you slice it.
      and if you thought Kovalev beat Ward? Not an uncommon assessment.

P4P is personal assessment, and fantasy. Therefore official decisions shouldn't play a big role, as the referees assessment isn't necessarily your own..

Comment

Originally posted by boxingitis View Post
        Lomachenko and Crawford are the top two boxers, they have the most skills.
        Mikey Garcia > Loma

Also Loma has a LOSS to a guy with like 15 losses.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          and if you thought Kovalev beat Ward? Not an uncommon assessment.

P4P is personal assessment, and fantasy. Therefore official decisions shouldn't play a big role, as the referees assessment isn't necessarily your own..
          Neither is thinking Jacobs beat GGG.

But LAST I looked EVERYONE had Kovalov P4P in the top 5. While NO one had Jacobs even close to top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by SpenceJr View Post
            1. Ward
            2. Lomachenko
            I have a big problem with Loma being #2 over guys with ZERO losses. ESPECIALLY to someone with that many losses and his only good win is against Russell. Walters suks. He always was bigger than the boxers he fought. And barely scrapped by Sosa. Donaire just got dropped by Top Skank so what's that tell you???

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
              Neither is thinking Jacobs beat GGG.

But LAST I looked EVERYONE had Kovalov P4P in the top 5. While NO one had Jacobs even close to top 10.
              I don't care what 'EVERYONE' else thinks. I'm a grown man and can voice my own opinion without justifying it against other posters.

What exactly is your view? You seem to busy caring about everyone else.

Kovalev was P4P before the fight with Ward, Jacobs wasn't. I thought he beat Golovkin, so i'd put him somewhere there.

Comment

To me, there's a difference between a P4P #1 and a P4P King. At certain times, many guys may end up being the P4P #1, by default. Whomever you personally have #1 is just that, #1 by default. But nobody has serperated themselves at the moment where you could call them the true P4P King. Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  absolutely, but you have to add "if all things are equal"

all things being weight

you probably took that as a given

based on that, i got.....

1) Rigondeaux
                  2) Ward
                  3) Lomachenko
                  4) Gonzales
                  5) Kovalev
                  6) Crawford
                  7) Alvarez
                  8) Pacquiao
                  9) Golovkin
                  10) Garcia
                  Not bad.

I'm at

1) Ward
                  2) Rigondeaux
                  3) Kovalev
                  4) Gonzales
                  5) Crawford
                  6) GGG
                  7) Lomachenko
                  8) Canelo
                  9) Pac
                  10) M. Garcia

I put Loma ahead of Garcia but don't think Loma beats Garcia. And after last Saturday I think ZERO ppl think GGG would beat Ward. And his team also knew it.

I try to picture them fighting each other at their best. Man Ward vs. Rig. would be a TERRIBLY boring fight though! out of top 5 GGG probably would beat Gonzales???

I think Crawford would beat GGG if same size and probably make him look stupid.

Comment

It has to be about resume .. to some extent. For example last 4 fights or last 3 years. It also absolutely has to be about divisions moved up. After all this is p4p so moving up and competing is proof of p4p status rather than conjecture about what if.

Why resume? Because you can look great all you like but until it is proven then it is conjecture. By all means give creedence to Inoue or Golovkin or Kovalev or Lomachenko or Crawford but proof (Ward / Gonzalez / Pac / Thurman ) should be a contributory factor that weighs heavily.

My p4p

1. Gonzalez.
                    Personally I had him winning 7-5. He is now in his 4th weight class and his last 2 fights he fought top 5 in his new class. Can you imagine Ward going up to HW - his 4th div - and fighting 2 top 5 hws in a row and getting the better of them albeit shipping much punishment. Or Golovkin going up to CW and doing the same. Or Crawford going to LMW and doing the same? If you look like your struggling in your 4th weight class, then guess what? Kudos for taking the damn fight in the first place. On these boards everyone is urging fighters to move up just so they can crap on them when they struggle. No win and no credit situation.
                    2. Pacquaio
                    What? Am I out of my mind? Actually he is the embodiment of p4p. His last 2 fights were against a top 5 ww in Bradley (at the time) and a top 10/15 in Vargas. And he beat both of them handily. When you add this to his resume, his longevity and the record number of weight classes, this is the reason I give it to him.
                    3. Lomachenko
                    He looks as good or better than Golovkin and Kov but he has done it in 2 weight classes. The walters win has been degraded - and I understand, for me, Walters was a monster at 126 but just good at 130. But Loma has looked complete and devastating at 130. He is and will be continued to be avoided.
                    4. Mikey Garcia
                    I would have put him at 3. but his inactivity just works a little against him. He is still right up there at 135.
                    5. Ward
                    He dominated one weight class. But Froch, good as he was, was no atg and may struggle to get in the HOF. I don't know that Ward has one win over a lock-in HOFer. But since then he has competed well at LHW yet the closeness of his win over Kov in just his second weight class means that there are questions.
                    6. Crawford
                    He looks like a great in the making. Postol was no slouch. But he hasn't done enough yet and he was probably boiled down at 135 where he struggled somewhat against Gamboa.
                    7. Thurman
                    Thurman is a one div champ but he has fought two of the best in Porter and Garcia. These are current rankings so even though he may not display such skills as Loma he has won fairly comfortably against 2 good names.
                    8. Golovkin
                    GGG is fallen down here with the oh-so-tight victory over Jacobs. But Jacobs is good and also came in as a SMW in the ring so that has to be factored in slightly. Also, although his resume is against c+ / b- level fighters you have to take into account what he did to all of them - how dominant he looked.
                    9. Rigo
                    I'd have him higher but the inactivity kills him. Donaire was a fantastic win but as I said originally it is too long ago. Still, when he does fight he dominates his c+/b- level opponents.
                    10. Estrada
                    He has moved up divs as well and gave Gonzalez his most competitive fight in a div where Gonzalez really was a little monster.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      I don't care what 'EVERYONE' else thinks. I'm a grown man and can voice my own opinion without justifying it against other posters.

What exactly is your view? You seem to busy caring about everyone else.

Kovalev was P4P before the fight with Ward, Jacobs wasn't. I thought he beat Golovkin, so i'd put him somewhere there.
                      It's your list do what you want. I posted mine already. And NO I didn't need anyone's help with it. I put Ward ahead of Kovalov because I respect the decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X