Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily routine leading up to a fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lifted weights when I was 16 and 17, my junior and seniors years in a weight training course. We would lift Monday and every other day. On the off days we ran and played softball. I made it to the finals for the Detroit area Golden Gloves that year, but lost that bout. I think it helped me big time. Don't forget to make those legs strong, with running and Squats. Build your legs strong, it'll help you top stand when you just walked in to one.………..Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

On the day of combat, plan it so that you arise it as your morning. Consume lots of sushi, avacado and salmon. After doing boxer style yoga on empty. Don’t get too crazy with the yoga early on. Throw in some bikram moves please, changes my world daily. I’d mash my face around a little too right before the fight, not too hard but you know . Move your jaw around hard and be chewin gum all the time. Here lately, I’ve been all outta bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        I lifted weights when I was 16 and 17, my junior and seniors years in a weight training course. We would lift Monday and every other day. On the off days we ran and played softball. I made it to the finals for the Detroit area Golden Gloves that year, but lost that bout. I think it helped me big time. Don't forget to make those legs strong, with running and Squats. Build your legs strong, it'll help you top stand when you just walked in to one.………..Rockin'
        Boss,
        Ted Levine played a role in Bullet that reminded me of you just now.
        He’s training young warriors and says, “War!!!!, is War. IT AINT ****IN MONOPOLY.”

I remember how you said, whatd you say.....hahahaha

Some kid asked if it was brain damage and you said “well, we ain’t shooting marbles, kid.”

Comment

Man of your are really getting up at 4 am every day I feel
          Bad for who you are facing you sound like animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
            Man of your are really getting up at 4 am every day I feel
            Bad for who you are facing you sound like animal.
            Way, way too early for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Syphus View Post
              That's the ignorance I'm talking about, though. Lifting weights for strength and explosiveness doesn't make you bulky or sluggish.

Your appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy. MMA guys train with weights all the time and are incredible athletes because of it. Boxing is well-known to be behind the times in sport science.

Having incredible boxing skills will almost always win a boxing match, but with skills being equal the more powerful man almost always wins.

Kell Brook

Gary Russell Jr

Usyk

Klitschko

Fury, Haye, Loma Holyfield....

The list goes on and on.
              All those boxers you listed would get hammered by a better fighter from another Era.

And Loma is far from lifted. The kinda weights he does are like 3 lb hand weights. Which is the same as a godamn medacine ball.

And mma fighters are not great strikers. So that was a terrible example. They can't even put their arms at their sides and throw a proper punch.

I know you think you know more than me but trust me you don't. Those guys you posted with weights for one would have done better without weights. Especially Kell brook. He gassed hard in his fight with Spence. You can't just find a picture of some dude lifting weights and say oh look at this guy he is good because of weights. Half those guys looked 2x better when they weighed 20 lbs less.

If you are lifting 5 lb weights explosively well that isn't really weight lifting. You just swapped out a medacine ball for hand weights. But any of that explosive power lifting for strength is the dumbest **** ever if you actually understood how to box. It's more than just being explosive. You have to be limber so you won't telegraph and can pull the trigger when you need to.

And you aren't strong if you are tired. It's common sense. These explosive power lifter boxers like Canelo all suck wind and would probably suck even more wind if they weren't on PEDs.

Gary Russell, Charlo, Canelo they all use that explosive weight lifter speed. Lots of flashy punches but really low connect rate of you pay attention and avoid compufraud. If Gary Russell had real effective speed how come he landed maybe 3 real punches in the entire Loma fight. The rest was smacking arms. Every shot he threw has tell on it because he's not limber enough and easy to read.
              Last edited by them_apples; 08-18-2019, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                All those boxers you listed would get hammered by a better fighter from another Era.
                "All those boxers you listed would get hammered by a better boxer..." Wow, you don't say???

And mma fighters are not great strikers. So that was a terrible example. They can't even put their arms at their sides and throw a proper punch.
                This doesn't make any sense. Plenty are fine strikers and plenty aren't. Go back and watch some K-1 and Pride and tell me they weren't good strikers

I know you think you know more than me but trust me you don't. Those guys you posted with weights for one would have done better without weights. Especially Kell brook. He gassed hard in his fight with Spence. You can't just find a picture of some dude lifting weights and say oh look at this guy he is good because of weights. Half those guys looked 2x better when they weighed 20 lbs less.
                I don't think I know more than you about boxing but I certainly know more than you about science and biology as evidence by your own posts. Yes, most boxers are crisper at lower weight classes. That's why heavyweight fights can look sloppy and featherweight fights look like a damn anime cartoon sometimes. But that has nothing to do with an individual boxer. I'm 6'4, I can't magically become a straw weight. I also never said someone is good BECAUSE of weights. I think explosive Olympic lifting is beneficial for almost every single athlete on this planet, but if you suck and have no talent or skills in your sport it's not going to help.

Kell Brook started training with a boxing-specific strength and conditioning team that put him through the ringer before his fights against Saldivia all the way to Porter. His conditioning before Porter was especially great and it showed in that fight.

Before the GGG fight he called up the same team and asked for their help again. There was just 9 weeks before the fight and he was 13 pounds over his fight weight. This limited their normal fight plan so they had to optimize strength and speed adaptations without letting movement issues restrict load and technique (because contrary to what you believe, such a thing is not only possible but an incredibly common among athletes). In other words, he had to move up to middleweight while maintaining is speed and strength and skillset.

If you are lifting 5 lb weights explosively well that isn't really weight lifting. You just swapped out a medacine ball for hand weights. But any of that explosive power lifting for strength is the dumbest **** ever if you actually understood how to box. It's more than just being explosive. You have to be limber so you won't telegraph and can pull the trigger when you need to.
                So.... "explosive" to you DOESN'T mean "pulling the trigger when you need to"? What exactly does being explosive mean, then? And again, this is super outdated information. The Russians knew this wasn't true decades ago. Why do you think being strong is the antithesis of being "limber"? You know even massive bodybuilders can still do the splits, right? You know you can get strong without gaining excess weight, right? Or "looking" like you lift? Or without sacrificing your skills?

According to the trainers above, their general approach is to "build foundational movement patterns, get a good base of strength, work on maximum force production then develop explosiveness through plyometric and Olympic lifting." What this means is they're using speed-strength and strength-speed specific plyometric and Olympic lifts to increase the output of muscles and increase the mind-body connection used during full body workouts which directly impact overall conditioning and coordination. Not only that, but Olympic lifting has shown to improve speed, the snappiness of a punch, shoulder stability and shoulder health... which are obviously very beneficial to a boxer.

Gary Russell, Charlo, Canelo they all use that explosive weight lifter speed. Lots of flashy punches but really low connect rate of you pay attention and avoid compufraud. If Gary Russell had real effective speed how come he landed maybe 3 real punches in the entire Loma fight. The rest was smacking arms. Every shot he threw has tell on it because he's not limber enough and easy to read.
                Hmm maybe because Loma is one of the greatest p4p boxers of all time? Maybe because his entire skillset is based on movement and being elusive?? And yeah, Canelo, the 52-1 champion really does suck, huh? Same with the undefeated Charlo.

Your entire post is a fallacy. Specifically the "appeal to tradition" fallacy that isn't based in logic. What you're saying is that since traditionally boxers didn't lift (yes they did) that means that's the best way. That's simply not true, unless you think that for some strange reason boxers are unaffected by physics. Boxers CAN be great without lifting, and plenty are and theres nothing wrong with that, but saying lifting as a whole is bad for boxing simply isn't true.

Athletes do strength training, endurance running, high intensity interval training, mobility work, flexibility work, sport specific training, psychological training, coordination training and on and on and on. Some need all of them, some only need a few, some are freaks of nature and hardly need to do any of it (RJJ).

Working on your sport specific skillset is ALWAYS the best thing to spend your time on. But theres nothing wrong with adding onto your training schedule with a variety of different physical and mental stimuli.

Comment

Originally posted by Syphus View Post
                  "All those boxers you listed would get hammered by a better boxer..." Wow, you don't say???

This doesn't make any sense. Plenty are fine strikers and plenty aren't. Go back and watch some K-1 and Pride and tell me they weren't good strikers

I don't think I know more than you about boxing but I certainly know more than you about science and biology as evidence by your own posts. Yes, most boxers are crisper at lower weight classes. That's why heavyweight fights can look sloppy and featherweight fights look like a damn anime cartoon sometimes. But that has nothing to do with an individual boxer. I'm 6'4, I can't magically become a straw weight. I also never said someone is good BECAUSE of weights. I think explosive Olympic lifting is beneficial for almost every single athlete on this planet, but if you suck and have no talent or skills in your sport it's not going to help.

Kell Brook started training with a boxing-specific strength and conditioning team that put him through the ringer before his fights against Saldivia all the way to Porter. His conditioning before Porter was especially great and it showed in that fight.

Before the GGG fight he called up the same team and asked for their help again. There was just 9 weeks before the fight and he was 13 pounds over his fight weight. This limited their normal fight plan so they had to optimize strength and speed adaptations without letting movement issues restrict load and technique (because contrary to what you believe, such a thing is not only possible but an incredibly common among athletes). In other words, he had to move up to middleweight while maintaining is speed and strength and skillset.

So.... "explosive" to you DOESN'T mean "pulling the trigger when you need to"? What exactly does being explosive mean, then? And again, this is super outdated information. The Russians knew this wasn't true decades ago. Why do you think being strong is the antithesis of being "limber"? You know even massive bodybuilders can still do the splits, right? You know you can get strong without gaining excess weight, right? Or "looking" like you lift? Or without sacrificing your skills?

According to the trainers above, their general approach is to "build foundational movement patterns, get a good base of strength, work on maximum force production then develop explosiveness through plyometric and Olympic lifting." What this means is they're using speed-strength and strength-speed specific plyometric and Olympic lifts to increase the output of muscles and increase the mind-body connection used during full body workouts which directly impact overall conditioning and coordination. Not only that, but Olympic lifting has shown to improve speed, the snappiness of a punch, shoulder stability and shoulder health... which are obviously very beneficial to a boxer.

Hmm maybe because Loma is one of the greatest p4p boxers of all time? Maybe because his entire skillset is based on movement and being elusive?? And yeah, Canelo, the 52-1 champion really does suck, huh? Same with the undefeated Charlo.

Your entire post is a fallacy. Specifically the "appeal to tradition" fallacy that isn't based in logic. What you're saying is that since traditionally boxers didn't lift (yes they did) that means that's the best way. That's simply not true, unless you think that for some strange reason boxers are unaffected by physics. Boxers CAN be great without lifting, and plenty are and theres nothing wrong with that, but saying lifting as a whole is bad for boxing simply isn't true.

Athletes do strength training, endurance running, high intensity interval training, mobility work, flexibility work, sport specific training, psychological training, coordination training and on and on and on. Some need all of them, some only need a few, some are freaks of nature and hardly need to do any of it (RJJ).

Working on your sport specific skillset is ALWAYS the best thing to spend your time on. But theres nothing wrong with adding onto your training schedule with a variety of different physical and mental stimuli.

My reason against lifting is this. Lifting heavy weights for strength is terrible for boxing because:

You train too many muscles to activate at once, a professional boxer trains his body to only use the muscles he needs. The arm has pulling muscles and pushing muscles for example - the pulling muscles shouldnt be activated when throwing a punch. This is why oldschool boxers looked so smooth. Too a nooby you don't feel like you are hitting hard unless you engage more muscles, but it's an illusion - some of those are holding you back. Heavy weight lifting is something that tightens you up (YES IT DOES) because the entire movement is not something you will ever use in boxing and goes against everything boxing is about. ALSO, this is from personal experience. Most guys are doing it to look ripped, sorry to say.

Being strong in boxing has a lot more to do with stamina and balance than it does about your numbers with weights.

I am also disagreeing with these coaches that claim they have the science to back it up. I don't think they understand boxing. they understand the human body but not how boxing uses it. Thats the problem.

The reason why guys like Foreman are so strong is because they are NATURALLY strong by default, and also limber because thats how they trained. Joshua is not very strong or dangerous considering his size because he is a tight ball of muscle he has built up, he isn't using it and most of it is going against him than for him.

and yes I can think of 1500 fighters in the past that would obliterate Canelo, I can think of 3 that already have beat him. So forget about that 52-1 record lol.

Show me Lomachenko doing any type of power lifting please, I don't believe he does - he moves around like an oldschool fighter and has no tension in his body. Please show me this guy "lifts" for strength. shadow boxing with hand weights doesn't count.

Him vs Gary russel is literally the perfect example of a an oldschool style speed vs new school fake explosive speed. Gary russel looks fast to a noob because hes coiling and yelling to get his punches off, but non of them land. He landed maybe 5 real punches in 12 rounds against Loma in all seriousness. If he was so fast how come he couldn't hit him? because he telegraphs everything, he's too stiff. His "speed" comes at a cost. Lomachenko is smooth and unreadable, has no tension in his body.

Canelo is another example, if you slowed his tapes down and ignored compufraud you wouldn't believe how low his connect percentage is, and how often the punches he does connect with aren't effective or flush. (grazing shots).
                  Last edited by them_apples; 08-22-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Way, way too early for me.
                    I second this.
                    I fight with everyone about this weekly lol.
                    Absolutely not.

Does it TRULY make a difference what time you're running so long as you're running?

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
                      I second this.
                      I fight with everyone about this weekly lol.
                      Absolutely not.

Does it TRULY make a difference what time you're running so long as you're running?
                      I have no energy that early. I prefer to run, just me, after some food is in me.

Comment

Working...
                      X