Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather be physically gifted or mentally gifted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
    Yeah in a nutshell.

Like whats more impressive to you, someone who is a physical specimen or a mental specimen.

I know its not really a fair question because it is apples and oranges. It just recently has been in my mind in that people (like Gates or Hawking) who are genius' of the mind seem to get held at a higher respect then people who are genius' of the body(Usain Bolt or Lebron James), if you will.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that physical specimens are looked at more of a novelty, rather than what they should be seen as which (in my mind) is amazing feats of human evolution, like the great thinkers are.

I feel like I'm just rambling and making incoherent thoughts right now, which I probably am lol, but it just sparked some thought in my head.
    Physical = entertainment

Mental = Human progress

Thats just what i think. In the current world, i would be a genius then a sports star, but if i had a legit choice, i'd be a lebron james or Michael Jorden

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I would stick with mentally, you can train physically.
      But you can also train mentally

For both, there is only a certain amount you can train both attributes. No matter how hard any of us train, you wont be outrunning Usian Bolt or Out thinking Hawkins

These kinds of "super" attributes you can only be born with

Comment

Great thinkers have more of an effect on society, just because man is a thinking animal. We shouldn't degrade the "great physical specimens" either, actually I disagree with splitting people into these 2 categories.

The ideal is a balance between the two, or at the atleast remember you can be a Lebron James, Usain Bolt and still have a good head on your shoulders. I don't think we should say being a a great physical specimen makes you, like, closer to an animal than say an astrophysicist. It's a mix of playing with the cards you're dealt, and working hard to achieve goals. balance balance balance

Comment

If you can't think you're just another bum in the park.

Comment

Another thought:

A great idea, theory, or philosophy can change the world forever.

So I'd say being mentally gifted is probably more important.

Comment

Being mentally gifted without the platform to express you're ideas, is a useless gift.

As for my choice, I don't know. I'm happy the way I am. I'm gifted physically and mentally. I enjoy it. The hardest part is choosing which to pursue.

Comment

you can also think of it this way... mentally gifted people can cause chaos and disarray to the society too... remember the hackers who brought down PSN recently? what about those nerds who make WMDs?

physically gifted people cant do such things on a massive scale...

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                  Being mentally gifted without the platform to express you're ideas, is a useless gift.

As for my choice, I don't know. I'm happy the way I am. I'm gifted physically and mentally. I enjoy it. The hardest part is choosing which to pursue.
                  the thing is, everyone except the chronically depressed thinks this. it almost means nothing

Comment

Originally posted by MonsieurGeorges View Post
                    the thing is, everyone except the chronically depressed thinks this. it almost means nothing
                    So what, has nothing to do with me. I know what I have been born with and that is all that matters. It's just up to me what I want to do with what I have been gifted with. Do I pursue athletics or do I find a platform for my ideas? It's a choice I have to make.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                      So what, has nothing to do with me. I know what I have been born with and that is all that matters. It's just up to me what I want to do with what I have been gifted with. Do I pursue athletics or do I find a platform for my ideas? It's a choice I have to make.
                      trust me I think about the same things, I just felt it was worth saying

actually, I take that back I know I have to work for a living. I rely on my paycheck and without it I'm screwed, I'm only 21 but I can't quit my job to box or play basketball all day. I would lose the roof over my head, my car, everything
                      Last edited by MonsieurGeorges; 03-08-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X