No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns' welterweight resume is limited for an ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
    i'm pretty sure his fights with duran, leonard, hagler, benitez, hill, etc. at 154 and up helped a little?

did i miss something? do we judged boxers by 1 weight division now?

pacquiao sucks. his 135 resume ain't ****.

mayweather blows. he didn't fight anyone good at 140.
    Have you ever watched the Duran fight? Duran was completely shot in that fight. Boxing with his chin up in the air. He looked slow with no head movement at all. He was dropped twice in the first round. At 33 Duran was no ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
      Have you ever watched the Duran fight? Duran was completely shot in that fight. Boxing with his chin up in the air. He looked slow with no head movement at all. He was dropped twice in the first round. At 33 Duran was no ATG.
      yet he went 15 rounds with hagler at 160 in his previous fight?

oh and went toe to toe with iran barkley for the 160 belt at like 40?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stokes View Post
        You're citing the likes of Clottey, Martinez and Cintron while ignoring longstanding contenders from that era like Clyde Gray, Harold Weston, Randy Shields and Angel Espada.

Hearns body of work was stretched out over five divisions, with the two most notable victories coming at 154. He was an outstanding fighter at 147, but the very best fighters in that division were already beaten by Leonard before Hearns got to them.
        You conveniently left out prime undefeated Cotto. Like i said that alone is superior to Hearns' Welterweight resume so even if Clottey, Cintron and Martinez didn't cut it for you it wouldn't matter.

As far as this era being "no weaker",
        I'd love to hear why you think the 80's era was superior to this era (2000- present)

Comment

yet he went 15 rounds with hagler at 160 in his previous fight?

oh and went toe to toe with iran barkley for the 160 belt at like 40?
          I just rewatched the fight two days ago. Go back and watch the fight and come back and talk. It's only 9 min with the intros. Go watch and tell me how you thought Duran looked.

Comment

true.

but remember how duran went 15 rounds with hagler AT 160 a year before hearns KHTFO early?

or duran going to war with iran barkley at 160 like 10 yrs later.

duran was no joke even old, past prime and above his optimal weight.
            Impressive it was and i don't consider that Duran to be a complete joke however it's important to consider how much that 15 round war with a beast like Hagler took out of him, not to mention the approx 80 other fights he had of wear and tear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Babatunde View Post
              You conveniently left out prime undefeated Cotto. Like i said that alone is superior to Hearns' Welterweight resume so even if Clottey, Cintron and Martinez didn't cut it for you it wouldn't matter.

No, I didn't; I made the point of referencing a few names that you missed out (either through your own ignorance of that era or because it didn't suit your agenda.) You were comparing Tony's overall body of work to just a single win of Hearns.

I'd love to hear why you think the 80's era was superior to this era (2000- present)

You seriously want me to draw up a list comparing the elite names of the early 80's in comparison to the elite names of today? You really want to subject yourself to something so blatantly obvious?

Aren't you the same silly geezer that listed shot, decrepit fossils like Judah and Morales as good wins for Garcia?

Impressive it was and i don't consider that Duran to be a complete joke however it's important to consider how much that 15 round war with a beast like Hagler took out of him, not to mention the approx 80 other fights he had of wear and tear.

You've clearly not even seen the fight.
              Last edited by Ham Porter; 08-10-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

No, I didn't; I made the point of referencing a few names that you missed out (either through your own ignorance of that era or because it didn't suit your agenda.) You were comparing Tony's overall body of work to just a single win of Hearns.

You seriously want me to draw up a list comparing the elite names of the early 80's in comparison to the elite names of today? You really want to subject yourself to something so blatantly obvious?

Aren't you the same silly geezer that listed shot, decrepit fossils like Judah and Morales as good wins for Garcia?

You've clearly not even seen the fight.
                I wasn't comparing his overall body of work it's just that I felt his wins i listed were notable wins whereas the likes of Weston weren't notable wins for Hearns imo but if you consider them notable that's fine, i respect your opinion....

I did say Judah and Morales were good wins, along with Matthysse and Khan which you CONVINIENTLY LEFT OUT, anyway that's off topic.

I have seen the fight, just because it wasn't blood and cuts all over the ring with 4 knockdowns it don't mean it didn't take a lot out of Duran or that it wasn't a war, it was a techincal but vicious fight. And like i said he was already damaged from nearly 80 fights hence he was clearly past his best for Hearns.

Yes i really want you to draw up a list comparing the era's from 122 to heavyweight. Don't just do 2014 because that wouldn't be fair compared to the whole of the era Hearns fought in.

I want to see your list from 1975-89 compared to 2000-2014, it'll be awkward when your trying so hard to think of names and then realise mid-list there isn't much of a difference. Please don't abandon the list, you offered it bro. Maybe it was a bluff but i'm calling your bluff. Put ya money where ya mouth is.
                Last edited by Sir Babatunde; 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Tommy fought better competition than you think, my guess is your looking at names and the numbers that go with them and don't know if their quality opponent wins or not!

Unlike Leonard and many others Tommy had about a dozen "lets see" bouts then got tested. He fought Clyde Gray then Segundo Murriello and Harold Weston all knocking on the door for title fights! He took on Bruce Curry then Mikie Colbert before Cuevas. Randy Sheilds was next leading up to the Leonard fight!
                  If you had a more extensive history background you'd know and give credit to Hearns out boxing Leonard for the majority of their first fight. He did get stopped but unlike most fans thinking theres no shame in that, he fought well and showed his heart and desire to succeed.

I have Hearns as a top fifteen Welterweight and Tommy's right hand allows him to be competitive against anyone from any era!

Mr. Stokes has it correctly! Hearns early welter opponents far exceed the talent you listed for Cotto.
                  Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                    i have seen the fights many times. probably way before you ever youtubed it.

hearns looked great.

Comment

i have seen the fights many times. probably way before you ever youtubed it.

hearns looked great.
                      Do you think Duran looked like a game fighter that night? Even the commentators were talking how Duran dropped 40 lbs just to make weight. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hearns but Duran was shot to **** that night.

Comment

Working...
                      X