Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a Case for a new GOAT! Xclude( Ali, SRR, Louis, armstrong, pep, greb, fab4)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a Case for a new GOAT! Xclude( Ali, SRR, Louis, armstrong, pep, greb, fab4)

Dont include: (Ali, Robinson, Joe Louis, Greb, Pep, Armstrong, Fab4: Duran, SRL, Hagler, Hearns)

#1 Heavyweight
    #1 Welterweight
    #1 Lightweight
    #1 Middleweight
    #1 P4P Overall

^^^SRR usually occupies 3 of those categories so itll be interesting where people go.
    Last edited by Joeyzagz; 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM.

I know you want to make us a detailed case...but as of now, I'm only going to put forth the names I think could be considered for this list.

Heavyweight - Jack Johnson
    Welterweight - Sam Langford
    Lightweight - Pernell Whitaker, Joe Gans and Julio Cesar Chavez
    Middleweight - Jake LaMotta
    P4P - Jake LaMotta.

I may have made some questionable choices, but that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Comment

#1 Heavyweight - Too open, probably say George Foreman

#1 Welterweight - Joe Walcott

#1 Lightweight - Benny Leonard

#1 Middleweight - Carlos Monzon

#1 P4P - Ezzard Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
        Dont include: (Ali, Robinson, Joe Louis, Greb, Pep, Armstrong, Fab4: Duran, SRL, Hagler, Hearns)

#1 Heavyweight
        #1 Welterweight
        #1 Lightweight
        #1 Middleweight
        #1 P4P Overall

^^^SRR usually occupies 3 of those categories so itll be interesting where people go.
        Too tired to make any cases today, but this is how I'd have it:

#1 heavyweight: Larry Holmes
        #1 welterweight: Sam Langford
        #1 lightweight: Joe Gans (he was already #1 for me)
        #1 middleweight: Carlos Monzon
        #1 P4P: Ezzard Charles

Comment

2 of these are easy:

lightweight: Benny Leonard
          middleweight: Carlos Monzon

I had those 2 ranked number 1 in their divisions anyway.

Heavyweight: Larry Holmes

Louis and Ali are near unanimously numbers 1 and 2 (in varying orders), after that there are many fighters with very little to choose between them. But I'd go for Larry Holmes. 2nd most defences behind Louis and stacks up well in a head to head with anyone, with his long reach and one of the best jabs ever he'd stand a chance against any heavyweight in history.

Welterweight: Kid Gavilan

This was the hardest choice. SRR, SRL and Armstrong are the top 3 in this division and they were all out of consideration. So I'd go for Gavilan. He'll best be remembered for coming the closest to beating Robinson at welterweight, but he also had a good run as Welter champ after SRR moved up to Middleweight. At welterweight he had victories over hall of famers Carmen Basilio and Billy Graham, short-lived champion Johnny Bratton, lightweight champs and HOFers Ike Williams and Beau Jack as well as several other top contenders. There is no way you can make a case for Gavilan as the real Welterweight GOAT, but the greatest aside from Robinson, Armstrong and SRL? Certainly.

P4P: Ezzard Charles

Cleaned out the best ever class of light-heavyweights (despite never officially being world champ), before moving up to the heavies to take Joe Louis' belt and have a short but memorable run as heavyweight champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
            2 of these are easy:

lightweight: Benny Leonard
            middleweight: Carlos Monzon

I had those 2 ranked number 1 in their divisions anyway.

Heavyweight: Larry Holmes

Louis and Ali are near unanimously numbers 1 and 2 (in varying orders), after that there are many fighters with very little to choose between them. But I'd go for Larry Holmes. 2nd most defences behind Louis and stacks up well in a head to head with anyone, with his long reach and one of the best jabs ever he'd stand a chance against any heavyweight in history.

Welterweight: Kid Gavilan

This was the hardest choice. SRR, SRL and Armstrong are the top 3 in this division and they were all out of consideration. So I'd go for Gavilan. He'll best be remembered for coming the closest to beating Robinson at welterweight, but he also had a good run as Welter champ after SRR moved up to Middleweight. At welterweight he had victories over hall of famers Carmen Basilio and Billy Graham, short-lived champion Johnny Bratton, lightweight champs and HOFers Ike Williams and Beau Jack as well as several other top contenders. There is no way you can make a case for Gavilan as the real Welterweight GOAT, but the greatest aside from Robinson, Armstrong and SRL? Certainly.

P4P: Ezzard Charles

Cleaned out the best ever class of light-heavyweights (despite never officially being world champ), before moving up to the heavies to take Joe Louis' belt and have a short but memorable run as heavyweight champ.
            All good choices.

I also have Monzon and Leonard as #1 in those respective weight classes.

P4P was an easy choice also. I have Charles in my Top 3 and he's arguably #1 anyway IMO.

My WW choice was between Walcott and Gavilan.

Comment

• Heavyweight - Holmes, Tyson
              • Middleweight - Monzon, LaMotta
              • Welterweight - Langford, Walker
              • Lightweight - Gans, Chavez
              • P4P - Holmes

Comment

holmes hw
                conn lhw
                monzon mw
                langford ww
                leonard lw

langford p4p

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                  • Heavyweight - Holmes, Tyson
                  • Middleweight - Monzon, LaMotta
                  • Welterweight - Langford, Walker
                  • Lightweight - Gans, Chavez
                  • P4P - Holmes
                  Holmes ahead of Langford, Monzon, and Gans??

Comment

Best Heavyweight:
                    --Defeated a fellow ATG heavy by early knockout during his prime
                    --Defeated 2 top 10 all time heavyweights
                    --Defeated 6 different champions; two split decision loses to champions
                    --Never knocked down; best chin of all time, arguably
                    --Contender or champion in four decades

That's right, Oliver McCall is the best heavyweight of all time.
                    Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X