Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good was Johnny Tapia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He had everything you wanted in a fighter inside the ring sadly outside of it he was a walking train wreck god rest his soul.

Comment

Johnny Tapia was my hero growing up. We share the same name but are not related.

Comment

I rewatched Tapia/Ayala, seemingly like the first time all over again. One of the lesser know perks of having swam with some sharks........ One can watch things for the first time all over again for two, probably 3 times or more. And then there are the ones that I think that I have seen but haven't.

I do remember that there was plenty of controversy about the final decision. Anyway, I score 115-114 Ayala, I say good job judges............ Rockin'
        Last edited by Rockin'; 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
          He had everything you wanted in a fighter inside the ring sadly outside of it he was a walking train wreck god rest his soul.

Before I say this I fully understand that I got nowhere close to Johnny Tapia. However, it heped me find a place of peace when I needed it. In the ring is the only place where all of those things that are normally spiraling through your mind are missing, the things stressing you out through the day, you don't have time to think about anything else but to fight. I can say from my experience of swimming with some sharks, even just in the gym. **** Gets Real real fast...... You just don't have the time in there to think of anything else............ Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            One of the Top 15-20 best fighters of the last 20 years
            Hall of Fame for sure right?

Comment

Great fundamentals, chin, hand speed and movement. He was a polished boxer but made exciting fights. In his prime he beats any of the current 115 and 118 lber belt holders.
              IMO he would've beat Donaire at 115 or 118 and Mares too. He had a granite chin and better skill set than Donaire or Mares. Tapia vs Rigo would've been a interesting match up.

Comment

Working...
              X