Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current great fighters who resemble the styles of all time greats.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current great fighters who resemble the styles of all time greats.

Andre Ward = James Toney: Both very skilled defensive fighters. Toney had better punching power but both were slick and had great footwork and were great at imposing their wills on their opponents.

Amir Khan = Joe Calazaghe: Both have great hand speed(Fastest hands in boxing history) and both are able to throw multiple combinations without breaking a sweat. Joe had the better chin while Amir has better boxing ability (which is debatable). I think Joe did a better job at breaking his opponents than Amir, plus he has a much better chin and resume.

Gennady Golovkin = Kostya Tszu: Every time I look at Golovkin, I think of Kostya. Both heavy hitters, great boxers who knew how to shift and cut off the ring, great jabs. Neither were great defenders but both have the slick style figured out.

Amir Imam = Tommy Hearns
    Both very long with great jabs and right hands. Both do/did a great job at keeping thei opponents at bay while throwing combinations. Both are heavy hitters with not so great chins. Tommy was the better boxer but Amir is still very young. Amir has the potential to be better.

Shawn Porter = Marco Madianna: Both fighters can cut off off the ring and fight on the inside effectively, both had underrated punching power, great chins, and they are very good at taking boxers out of their comfort zone and making them fight their fight.

Keith Thurman = Shane Mosley/David Haye: Both Keith and Mosley are very athletic. Keith has the better footwork but both are great at throwing combos and counter punching. Based off of the fights i've seen Thurman may be the better defensive fighter while Mosley is the more versatile offensive fighter. I added David Haye because Thurman resembles him quite a bit even though I think Thurman has more talent and will be a better boxer.

Terence Crawford = Pernell Whitaker/Marc too Sharp Johnson: Terence is like a modern day Pernell Whitaker/ Marc Too Sharp Hybrid. He is bigger, longer, and stronger than both but he isn't as great of a defender as those two were. He shares the same counter punching abilities, speed jab, boxing IQ and footwork as both. Only knock is that he is not that great at fighting on the inside as the other two.

Errol Spence Jr = Terry Norris: Both great body punchers, both great at setting up the jab before combos, neither were great defenders, both great at cutting off the ring and breaking their opponents down. I think Spence is more skilled and I believe that he will go gown better than Terry.

Lomachencko = Willie Pep: Beautiful technicians with great speed and defense. Willie was better at fighting off the back foot while Loma is the better inside fighter. When it's all said and done it will be a great debate between who was better between these two.

Sergey Kovalev = Vlad Klitchsko: Great punching power and jabs. Even when they look like the are losing they are winning. Klitchsko will not go down greater than Vlad though. Unless he comes back strong which I don't see being likely.

I couldn't think of any fighters from the past that resembled Rigo, Mikey, Canelo, or Roman. I have to do a little bit more research. Does anybody agree with the comparisons?
    Last edited by Sheldon312; 07-14-2017, 06:55 PM.

some of these arent bad at all but...

toney and ward....smdh! toney slipped, rolled, and countered. ward grabs grabs and grabbers some more. both slick...insulting. ward wishes he could fight like toney. without his cheating tactics he has not one ounce of toneys skill.

kovalev and wlad: even when they look like they are losign they are winning? i dont know what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      some of these arent bad at all but...

toney and ward....smdh! toney slipped, rolled, and countered. ward grabs grabs and grabbers some more. both slick...insulting. ward wishes he could fight like toney. without his cheating tactics he has not one ounce of toneys skill.

kovalev and wlad: even when they look like they are losign they are winning? i dont know what that means.
      Ward is the better boxer I'm but I couldn't find any other boxer that I could compare Ward too except Toney. Toney and Ward can both fight on the inside, slip punches, and throw combinations.

Sergey and Vlad both have great jabs and power. Their jabs are so good to the point to where even if their opponent is getting the best of them they still are able to use their jab to keep them winning

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
        Ward is the better boxer I'm but I couldn't find any other boxer that I could compare Ward too except Toney.
        Bhop?.......

Comment

Ward is more Bernard Hopkins, granted not as good as B-Hop and I'm not going to say a poor man's version since that sounds disrespectful but both fundamentally sound, always keep their chins tucked, right hand ready to shoot (Though Hopkin's right far superior) and know all the tricks inside. And again, Hopkins superior there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
            Ward is more Bernard Hopkins, granted not as good as B-Hop and I'm not going to say a poor man's version since that sounds disrespectful but both fundamentally sound, always keep their chins tucked, right hand ready to shoot (Though Hopkin's right far superior) and know all the tricks inside. And again, Hopkins superior there as well.
            I didn't even think about that. I still think Ward is the more superior boxer. Hopkins has GOAT longevity though. I would favor Ward over prime Roy Jones more so than Prime Hopkins against Prime Jones due to styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
              I didn't even think about that. I still think Ward is the more superior boxer. Hopkins has GOAT longevity though. I would favor Ward over prime Roy Jones more so than Prime Hopkins against Prime Jones due to styles.
              Major difference is Hopkins was very sneaky with his right hand, he can work his way in with it, as well as use his jab. Ward is more of just using his jab to get in and that'll trouble Roy a tad bit but then there isn't anything else behind that. Ward is probably my favorite fighter actively but other than his jab Roy would have his way with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                Major difference is Hopkins was very sneaky with his right hand, he can work his way in with it, as well as use his jab. Ward is more of just using his jab to get in and that'll trouble Roy a tad bit but then there isn't anything else behind that. Ward is probably my favorite fighter actively but other than his jab Roy would have his way with him.
                I think Roy beats Ward but it will be SD or MD. Ward is better than any middleweight Roy has fought including the Hopskin he beat and that James Toney

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
                  Bhop?.......
                  Didn't think of that one.

Comment

most of them are good but dont see the khan/joe comparison tbh. very different, joe was very comfortable fighting up close, khan far more rangey.

Comment

Working...
                    X