Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop blaming PBC for HBO's budget restraints

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC is the result of HBO's budget cuts year after year. All of these fighters needed somewhere to fight. Even though boxing fans have been loyal to boxing on HBO, they've continually cut the boxing budget. They aren't interested in boxing anymore. They still haven't filled Nelson's former position. They're interested in Bill Simmons and Jon Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
      but it is PBC's fault that other networks will no longer have any interest in boxing unless they are paid to put it on air.
      I don't see that as being true.

Either 1)PBC proves that boxing is a sport worth investing in on a bigger scale & they get a high 8 or 9 digit per year TV deal. That'll likely mean more channels start considering boxing as a viable outlet for them to make some money. Most likely it'll be one of these channels that get left behind when PBC signed with a Fox or CBS or whoever we wanna speculate they sign a deal with.

Or 2)PBC doesn't prove that boxing is a sport worth investing in on the scale they are looking for ($100M+/yr) & they go out of business or greatly scale back & throw guys on HBO, Showtime, UniMas & other outlets for boxing & the market will revert to the model it was pre-PBC sooner or later cuz there is still a market for boxing with or without PBC around.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        Off topic, that's a beautiful straight right for a baseball player.
        Absolutely. The best non-combat sports punch I've ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I don't see that as being true.

Either 1)PBC proves that boxing is a sport worth investing in on a bigger scale & they get a high 8 or 9 digit per year TV deal. That'll likely mean more channels start considering boxing as a viable outlet for them to make some money. Most likely it'll be one of these channels that get left behind when PBC signed with a Fox or CBS or whoever we wanna speculate they sign a deal with.

Or 2)PBC doesn't prove that boxing is a sport worth investing in on the scale they are looking for ($100M+/yr) & they go out of business or greatly scale back & throw guys on HBO, Showtime, UniMas & other outlets for boxing & the market will revert to the model it was pre-PBC sooner or later cuz there is still a market for boxing with or without PBC around.
          some seem to think they wont get a deal but i do and i think narrowing pbc down to a couple channels rather then like 6 will be huge. also channels who sign the deals are going to want a say in the matchups

Comment

Hbo keeps lowering their boxing budget because boxing is basically dead in America..

Hbo would rather pump that money into Creating new TV shows like game of thrones, ballers, entourage, etc.. Shows like that are what is driving hbo subscriptions, not boxing..

PBC has nothing to do with it..

Comment

If HBO is serious about Boxing put the money up, if not, FUK OFF!

Comment

I agree hbo is going to ****. Like crawford postol on ppv when porter thurman is free. Or canelo vs kHan. How do people slurp hbo so hard when that's going on??

Comment

PBC is to blame for overpaying fighters that HBO can't match because they can't operate at a loss. But it's definitely not the driving factor

The companies have two different strategies. HBO sees this as a sign of the times and is basically saying 'We can't pay you as much as we used to, but you still get to make half a million dollars per fight, which is damn good money". PBC on the other hand wants to bring more following to boxing by staging fights on free TV and resurrect the sport. Both ideas have merit.

Comment

Working...
                  X