Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Fury is Not All-Time Great, Wilder's Record is Lacking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest? Tyson Fury has had two wins at elite level, and ZERO title defenses.

I find it strange the way he wants to retire as soon as he has won the titles 'Remember the quality of opponents that he will be demanded to fight will now change'

I believe Tyson Fury is a all-time great top-25 at this time 'But in reality Anthony Joshua & probably even Dillian Whyte still have a deeper/better resumes than Fury.

People's perceptions & opinions can change really quick these days, Tyson Fury was the first fighter brave enough to implement that sort of game-plan against Wilder so 'People can ride this wave high'

Comment

I am a Brit and I like Fury, he's good.
      BUT....RJJ has a point here. Wilder was always a hype job, he literally has nobody of note on his record. Ortiz? C'mon, 40 year old untested Cuban.
      Washington? Ktfo by Charles Martin.
      Wilder ducked AJ and lied about it (his spineless character is now on full display for all to see, but it was not hard to see he didnt want it / Finkel blocked it). Anyway, we don't know how good Fury is based on his Wikder win, because Wilder was pure hype. The very definition of hype: built up to be something he wasn't, packaged and sold to an American public desperate for a HW savior.
      I believe AJ will beat Fury. Whyte may also, but AJ has the size, speed and skill to beat TF, not many do. Another who might stay withFury is my man Dubois.
      One thing we all hope for, that all these guys will now fight each other- Finkel / Wilder stagnated the division, but the door has swung open. Brits don't duck.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
        in a million years you will never see domination of HW's like what the Klit bros did. they destroyed generations of fighters and if one lost they slaughtered them in the rematch. NO fighter was the same after they fought them and Vitale "losing" to lewis made him retire

Not one notable win on either Klitschko resume unless you count David haye who was a cruiserweight.

No hall of fame wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamboal00 View Post
          What? How did he beat the best of today's generstion when he aint fought the guy with the most belts?!

And has he fought Parker, Whyte, Ruiz or Ortiz? No.

The guy with the most belts didn't beat anybody to get them. Those are the belts fury left behind when he retired.

Beating Charles Martin and Joseph Parker isn't impressive. And whyte and Ortiz have never even won a title.

Fury beat Wlad in his backyard when Wlad was on a decade long win streak, not after a loss and a year layoff.

Fury just beat the longest current reigning heavyweight champion in his backyard

Fury is the king of the heavyweights til further notice. Point blank period.

Resume>Belts

For example, Rosario has the most straps at 154, but he isn't considered the best at 154.

Comment

It takes Roy Jones to state the obvious. *BOTH* these guys are unproven.

To have records like they had so long into their career - shows something isn't right.

Fury beat an old Wlad and an unproven Wilder. There's no one else on his record.

Wilder just beat an old Ortiz and an old Stiverne after 45? fights

I'm not saying Wilder and Fury aren't great fighters - maybe they are - but they aren't proven as great fighters.

It's funny when people compare Joshua's record with Wilder and Fury because he is 5 years behind both of them - we shouldn't even be able to compare it!

Comment

Fury beat Wlad in his prime and became Lineal Champ. Then, Fury traveled to the US and beat the highest ranked fighter from there considered one of the hardest punchers of all time and undefeated LOL.
              Roy Jones is mad that he was too pu55y to ever travel to Germany to fight the other best Light Heavyweight at the time. That's why he's not an All-Time Great to me and neither is Floyd. If you never had a Road Game, you can't be an ATG, period. Not to mention, Roy fought in an historically weak Light Heavyweight Division and got sparked by Tarver who was the only real threat in the division and probably lost the first fight with Tarver also.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                Absolutely. Roy definitely has a chance of beating Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  I wonder how 2003 Roy would do against Fury?

Maybe he could be elusive enough to win a points decision.

...he'd be hard to catch and would land at will.
                  Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                  Absolutely. Roy definitely has a chance of beating Fury.
                  ATG Roy Jones wouldn’t stand a chance against Tyson Fury, not a snowflake’s chance in hell. Roy saw an opportunity to make history against John Ruiz, one of the weakest heavyweight champions of all time, and took it. Jones, at 5’11”, wasn’t at a severe height disadvantage versus 6’2” Ruiz. You guys think he would fare well against Fury, who’s 6’9”, mobile, with quick reflexes? A flicked jab from that giant, who’s not even known for his power, would probably send Roy flying.

Originally posted by LDBC Slayer View Post
                  Roy cherry picked John Ruiz then fled back to 175 as he wanted NO PARTS of lennox
                  Facts. Lennox would’ve literally murdered Roy, and everyone (well, nearly everyone lol) knows it. Not even a question. It was a calculated stunt Jones pulled. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecnoworld View Post
                    Fury's worst enemy is himself. If he can beat that, hr can beat anyone.

As a boxer, he's the only huge fighter able to:
                    - move the way he moves
                    - technically fight at very high level
                    - change style according to the opponent, in a lot of totally different ways

I still think that no fighter could beat the Fury that won vs Wilder. I really like Lennox, Louis, Ali. But the older ones are too small. Lennox is the only one that could stand a chance, but he was in serious trouble vs Vitali and got his chin spoiled several times.

Vitali in his prime would probably be the thoughest for for Fury. That would be an incredible match.
                    I agree with most of what you say, especially your opening list, but although I think Fury, even now, gives anyone in history a hard time, I’m not willing to say he undeniably beats them all. The larger modern heavies are the biggest question marks; but although I would favor Fury over Mike Tyson, I wouldn’t count out the smaller man. If Fury’s power were on par with all his other tools, he’d probably be the greatest heavyweight that ever lived. Then again, if pigs had wings... lol

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      ATG Roy Jones wouldn’t stand a chance against Tyson Fury, not a snowflake’s chance in hell. Roy saw an opportunity to make history against John Ruiz, one of the weakest heavyweight champions of all time, and took it. Jones, at 5’11”, wasn’t at a severe height disadvantage versus 6’2” Ruiz. You guys think he would fare well against Fury, who’s 6’9”, mobile, with quick reflexes? A flicked jab from that giant, who’s not even known for his power, would probably send Roy flying.

Facts. Lennox would’ve literally murdered Roy, and everyone (well, nearly everyone lol) knows it. Not even a question. It was a calculated stunt Jones pulled. Nothing more.
                      How can any sane person claim that 5ft11 Roy would have a chance at beating 6ft9 Tyson Fury? I really don't get it...

Tyson Fury isn't Valuev ffs, he's quick and agile. I doubt Roy would land a single punch to Fury's head.

Comment

Working...
                      X