No announcement yet.

chin ups and pull ups ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chin ups and pull ups ?

hi would chin ups and pull ups be good for a boxing workout ?
    also what would they help me with would they help with punches

Originally posted by tomhead69 View Post
    hi would chin ups and pull ups be good for a boxing workout ?
    also what would they help me with would they help with punches
    Anything that strengthens your body is good since you use everything when you box. A strong back will help with hooks, uppercuts and with retracting your punches.

Comment

I live on push ups and pull ups. Body weight exercises for a strong core are essential. While doing my pull up workouts, I also do some pull ups that incorporate abs and core. I'll hang from the bar, and with straight legs I will raise them all the way up to the bar, lower them, then with knees up, twist to the left once, then to the right. That is one rep. I usually do about 5 reps, maybe 4 sets or so, in between each regular pull up set.

These exercises also indirectly strengthen your biceps/triceps, which leads to a faster punch.
      Last edited by TheDukeArrives; 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM. Reason: my bad left out triceps!!!!

Comment

Yes chin ups will help build your biceps and back, overtime you will see yourself retracting your punches with less effort and your hooks and uppercuts will be stronger. With the pull ups try to do them with your hands as wide as you can to help build those lats.

Comment

no, chinups and pullups are horrible for you... so are pushups, jumprope, running... all bad for you

Comment

Originally posted by TheDukeArrives View Post
            I live on push ups and pull ups. Body weight exercises for a strong core are essential. While doing my pull up workouts, I also do some pull ups that incorporate abs and core. I'll hang from the bar, and with straight legs I will raise them all the way up to the bar, lower them, then with knees up, twist to the left once, then to the right. That is one rep. I usually do about 5 reps, maybe 4 sets or so, in between each regular pull up set.

These exercises also indirectly strengthen your biceps, which leads to a faster punch.
            who told you that?

Comment

yeah that isnt true...

Comment

Originally posted by Cax. View Post
                who told you that?
                The main function of the tricep is to extend the arm, so it makes sense that a better developed, more functional bicep/tricep would lead to a faster punch. Obviously there are other factors involved in throwing a good punch, but a stronger bicep helps, especially with power.

I'm not talking about a bigger bicep, just a better functioning one. Pretty much the same thing can be said for every muscle in the body regarding punching. I'd say core work is essential, which pullups and push ups, if done correctly, can help.
                Last edited by TheDukeArrives; 05-05-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

pull ups is really important. you do 100 of them every day then in 1-2 years 100 more.. your body will be extremely strong. 1 thing is most people do them wrong

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    no, chinups and pullups are horrible for you... so are pushups, jumprope, running... all bad for you
                    I agree. Drinking all day is how MY dad got strong. Just ask my mom, my daddy was one hell of a boxer with an insane right hook.

Comment

Working...
                    X