Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Khan move up to 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Khan knows how he feels at a given weight. I doubt he has poor punch resistance because of being weight drained. Some fighters just take a punch better or worse than others. I think he just has a poor chin regardless of what weight he fights at. I voted he should not move up because 147 pounders hit harder than 140 pounders and could KO him easier. If Khan can make 135 and feel strong he should fight there. The lightest weight he feels good at is where he should fight and only Khan knows that. He does not look that bony to me. You see many fighters much leaner than Khan that take a punch well. Prescott looked bony compared to Khan when they fought.

Comment

Rather than move up in weight he needs to work on his defense. Truth be told there are not many fighters who would stay up from the shots that have put him away, some would argue that this is what separates the greats from the good/average and I wouldn't exactly disagree.

Larry Holmes could have lost to Shavers, Fraizer could have knocked Ali out, Mosley could have lost in the 2nd ( or 3rd?) round to Forrest), Mayweather could have an embarrassing loss to Mosley, Bradley record could show a loss to Holt. List goes on and on.

I guess having a good chin is important when you want to compete at a certain level as in 36 minutes of boxing you're likely to get caught with something vicious. The fact that Khan crumbles when that happens is something he will have to live with and something he will have to try and negate by being extra cautious.

That's why I disagree with people saying he should team up with Pernell Whitaker or Roger Mayweather, they could help him on his defense however the defense they operate is very precise and ****ing up once could lead to him getting tagged. Which is why I think he should team up with E Steward, someone who can help him use his jab to stay far away from his opponent. He also needs to work on doing that for a full 12 rounds so that he can do that for the full 12 rounds, failing that needs to work on his defense on the inside so that if his legs go punches won't find their way through the guard.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
        didn't he weigh 148 fight night? It's very rare for Welterweights to come in to the fight that weight, even the average sized ones go to 153-155.

Khan isn't that big honestly, this 5'10 height people keep saying is a joke, he's not a big dude.
        he's about 5'11

ur right he is not big,but he has a very long reach,

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
          Rather than move up in weight he needs to work on his defense. ...

That's why I disagree with people saying he should team up with Pernell Whitaker or Roger Mayweather, they could help him on his defense however the defense they operate is very precise...
          Some good points, I mentioned Whittaker because of his upper body movement. Khan didn't have any of that at all in the Garcia fight, or the sparring session before it. It's like he totally forgot about it so I believe Whittaker reminds him of those skills. But, he would ideally only use them when he needs to (like he tried to at a few points in the Kotelnik fight). He'd need to rely on more conventional defense for the most part. Whittaker would only be an advisor.

But back to the weight issue.. Khan is just starting to look drained at the weight. It could be that his strength coach did too much upper body work and didn't balance him out like Ariza does.

Comment

I think a move to 147 would be a disaster right now. Say what you want but he IS chinny, yes he's been caught with some good shots but his legs go as soon as he's caught. Khan needs to change his style of fighting. He was more defensive at first with Roach, but the limelight and the praise have gone to his head, now he comes out swinging and pays the price.

The catch 22 for Khan is that his exciting style is what makes him popular and sells tickets, but it's also what gets him knocked out. As much as I'd like to think he'll learn from the Garcia defeat, he seems to think it was a fluke / off night, rather than fundamental flaws in his game. Until he really has an honest look at himself, he's destined to make the same mistakes.

Comment

No fighters conquer then move up or get dominated them move down or stay put

Comment

He should stay at 140, and rematch Peterson.

Comment

Khan is a goner. He should just retire.

http://dannygarciaboxer.com

Comment

If he is getting KO'ed by Garcia then he would get demolished in the 147 weight class. He needs to avenge his losses, prescott,peterson and then Garcia, then target the 147 class. Until he gets rid of those demons he is never going to be p4p no1. Dont sack freddy, just bring emmanuel steward on board to tighten his defence.

Comment

Working...
                    X