No announcement yet.

Who has the greater legacy? Marco Antonio Barrera or Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    Marquez' acne only showed up in the Alvarado fight. Pacquaio's had it show up too in the Algieri fight. You only think Marquez cheated in those two fights? So then his whole legacy doesn't go down the pan then surely? Especially since it's only when he was linked to Memo. Pacquaio fought a long stretch close to a decade where he was questioned. Marquez did ask for drug testing back in 2010/2011 when they talked about a potential 3rd fight. Marquez also had Memo in fight III where he didn't knock him down but he took him to school and according to most deserved a clear decision.
    JMM did not take Pac to school in their third fight. He fought better than he had in the previous two, but didn't deserve to win. He didn't deserve the draw in the first fight where Bert Clements failed to score the third knockdown in round one.

JMM was juiced for his last three fights. When Pac first spoke of a 5th fight, there was mention of VADA and suddenly JMM lost all interest. Even when Pac said he'd fight him in Mexico. JMM said he wouldn't fight Pac again even for $100 million. He's had several opportunities to fight again, and was shopping for a fight to get that elusive 147 title, but there was so much speculation about his PED use by the boxing media that he decided to forego it and retire permanently. He took that last win versus Pac and ran like a coward in the night, after Pac gave him several rematches he denied him even one. Speaks volumes of his character to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      JMM did not take Pac to school in their third fight. He fought better than he had in the previous two, but didn't deserve to win. He didn't deserve the draw in the first fight where Bert Clements failed to score the third knockdown in round one.

JMM was juiced for his last three fights. When Pac first spoke of a 5th fight, there was mention of VADA and suddenly JMM lost all interest. Even when Pac said he'd fight him in Mexico. JMM said he wouldn't fight Pac again even for $100 million. He's had several opportunities to fight again, and was shopping for a fight to get that elusive 147 title, but there was so much speculation about his PED use by the boxing media that he decided to forego it and retire permanently. He took that last win versus Pac and ran like a coward in the night, after Pac gave him several rematches he denied him even one. Speaks volumes of his character to me.
      Fight I Marquez was the champion gave him the fight and was robbed of a decision because Cortez should have taken a point off of Pacquaio for hitting Marquez whilst he was down.

Fight II Marquez was the champion and accepted Pacquaio's challenge. Most believe Marquez won this one.

Fight III Pacquaio waited nearly 4 years waiting for Marquez to be almost 40 thinking he was washed up and fight IV Pacquaio had to re-match him because most of the public felt Marquez won fight III. The vast majority did. I was at these fights and not many in attendance felt Pacquaio won.

Marquez' stance on no 5th fight was clear. He'd been robbed multiple times and even Roach said prior to fight IV "winner takes all".

Comment

Who beat Pacquiao should settle this.

Comment

In México nobody put Barrera over Márquez in a list. Nobody...and we know better of our fighters than other fans.

Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
            Don't remember which rounds I scored to whom, but I remember I had John by 2.
            so you scored it for john due to the point deductions. the official cards were pretty bad...I can see why people would call it a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Beyond beating Pac, under suspicious circumstances, he never reached the heights Barrera or Morales did. JMM is 2-1-1 against Pac, has a win over a badly faded MAB, never faced Morales, never faced Naz, lost to John and Mayweather. he was also thoroughly beaten by Bradley.

Barrera holds several iconic victories, chiefly Morales 2x and Naz.
              lol thoroughly beaten by bradley

jmm outlanded bradley in power punches

and got a split decision loss

bradley outhuslted him and got a close decision over an old jmm

jmm outside of mayweather never looked as bad as barrera did against khan, pacquiao, jones etc

Comment

It makes sense if you know what happened between me and that poster about a week ago. That's why it was ironic.

I never said Marquez wasn't a great fighter.

I have something against Marquez because I scored the fight to John? What are you, a child or something?

My job is of no concern of yours. But i'm sure you're a great fighter as well considering you think it's fine for you to have an opinion but not me.
                I am not a great fighter, I am mediocre at best, every time I have gotten in the ring I do very poorly, won some but lost most, so I do have an idea what it takes. You scoring the fight for John does not make you a bad person nor means you have anything against Marquez, it does say you score fights differently, like Mrs byrd. Your Job of course is of no concern of mine, I pay my bills and you pay yours, but sometimes we need to look at our selfs before we criticized others. If you do think Barrera is above Marquez, its ok, I disagree, but like someone mentione here, nobody puts Barrera over Marquez, ate least not in mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  I didn't see the same sudden transformation of Manny as dramatic as Marquez. I recall watching the 24/7 HBO special prior to their 4th fight and thinking WTF? Packing on ten pounds of muscle mass in 7 months while training for a fight that you should be losing weight for? The bacne and chimples at age 39? Suddenly found this power in his punches that sent Alvarado flying across the ring?

Had anyone accused Canelo of PED use prior to this latest bombshell, they would have been met with the same "show me a link to where he failed a test" response. It isn't beyond reason to question whether or not a fighter was juicing. I was a huge Roy Jones fan for the longest time, but I also suspected he was using PEDs for the longest, which it turned out he was.

No one was questioning Pac's training methods until Floyd was looking for an excuse to avoid him. Suddenly there was all this talk about how Pac put on 40+ pounds over the course of 15 years--while ignoring that Floyd did the same exact thing. And, Floyd had more stoppage victories from 140 and up.
                  You are right about Canelo, if someone accused him of the same, I personally I would ask for a link or proof, the difference is that canelo DID fail a test, marquez never did, that is 100% libel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
                    I am not a great fighter, I am mediocre at best, every time I have gotten in the ring I do very poorly, won some but lost most, so I do have an idea what it takes. You scoring the fight for John does not make you a bad person nor means you have anything against Marquez, it does say you score fights differently, like Mrs byrd. Your Job of course is of no concern of mine, I pay my bills and you pay yours, but sometimes we need to look at our selfs before we criticized others. If you do think Barrera is above Marquez, its ok, I disagree, but like someone mentione here, nobody puts Barrera over Marquez, ate least not in mexico.
                    So i'm like adalaide Byrd because I scored it to John in a close fight? You're like Marquez himself, always pissing and moaning because you didn't get the decision even though you lost.

I'm not criticising Marquez, where did you get that from?

Comment

So i'm like adalaide Byrd because I scored it to John in a close fight? You're like Marquez himself, always pissing and moaning because you didn't get the decision even though you lost.

I'm not criticising Marquez, where did you get that from?
                      You are literally criticizing Marquez in this post message you posted, " You're like Marquez himself, always pissing and moaning ".. And feel free to watch the John fight as I will, maybe either one of us go it wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X