Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Universe is always expanding, then what contains it..and what contains that??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
    so the answer is"WE DONT KNOW"
    We know what some of the choices are. The maths of it gets pretty complicated though.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      Where does it all end? from our primitive technology we see hundreds of galaxies( thats what they tell us) So what all is out there (if space indeed is even real) What is space??? what is the purpose???
      Since I am a Freemason, I am sworn to secrecy. However, since I am drunk I will tell you. Beyond what you mortals think of what the Universe is, is a wall. A brick wall built by us. What is beyond that wall, is 99 beers.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lomasexual;18135789]
        Space is expanding

How is space to expand if it is infinite?

No they aren't.
        However, i did make a mistake and type anti-matter rather than dark matter.
        Last edited by megas30; 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
          Since I am a Freemason, I am sworn to secrecy. However, since I am drunk I will tell you. Beyond what you mortals think of what the Universe is, is a wall. A brick wall built by us. What is beyond that wall, is 99 beers.
          I know many Freemasons and know the initiation process is great.

Why don't you ever share the general knowledge you have?

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
            How is space to expand if it is infinite?
            I know this is difficult stuff to understand. I'm not a professional teacher, so I don't know that I can convey it to you.

Here are some links where I think these concepts are explained pretty well.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/how...s-the-universe

https://www.space.com/24073-how-big-...-universe.html

These go into some of the different choices I mentioned earlier, about the topology of the universe and the implications.

After the your first sentence, this is damage control.
            I've read a bunch of books on this stuff, and heaps of articles. I was an active participant on a couple of physics forums for a while.

Not once, in all of that time, did I ever see any theories to match your statement: "Space. It is used to be considered "emptiness" but now scientists are claiming it is filled with anti-matter."

Comment

However, i did make a mistake and type anti-matter rather than dark matter.
              Dark matter, dark energy, virtual particles and possibly super strings etc.

But that isn't what scientists generally mean by 'space' - this is usually a reference to the dimension.

Comment

"Infinite universe," I just can't fathom that concept. It's mind-bending....

Comment

Originally posted by Jennets Holey View Post
                  why doe?

i mean why does this specific part of the human condition bother people so much?

i dont care about the purpose of the universe in the grand scheme of things
                  maybe i am just selfish but whats wrong with that?
                  It's just a very deep thought about the nature of everything or anything, why is it even here. But I guess being able to grasp that would be able to grasp God.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
                    Dark matter, dark energy, virtual particles and possibly super strings etc.

But that isn't what scientists generally mean by 'space' - this is usually a reference to the dimension.
                    And dimension is still space.... Space, time, dimension, etc, all the same thing. They are measurement of some kind. And between those dimension, space, time , etc, it is still dark matter. Stop trying to be a disagreeable.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lomasexual;18135822]
                      I know this is difficult stuff to understand. I'm not a professional teacher, so I don't know that I can convey it to you.
                      No it is not. Semantics are confusing people. Some people interchange "universe" with "space", but they are not really the same. The universe is the observable planets, stars and galaxies. Space is what contained them. Space is infinite, but we are not sure if the universe is. Because if the big theory is supposed to be true, then there is an edge to the universe, but since space is infinite, if there is no force to slow down the galaxies (Newton's second law) then they might be moving through the infinite space. Because of our own limitations, we might think the universe is infinite, but then that contradicts big bang theory. In simple terms, if there is a beginning then there is an end.

Here are some links where I think these concepts are explained pretty well.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/how...s-the-universe

https://www.space.com/24073-how-big-...-universe.html
                      They speak of the universe and space interchangeable. As i said, this is what makes it difficult for people to understand.

These go into some of the different choices I mentioned earlier, about the topology of the universe and the implications.

I've read a bunch of books on this stuff, and heaps of articles. I was an active participant on a couple of physics forums for a while.
                      I live by one formula, asking people to break down things into simple terms, if they can't it doesn't matter who they are, it means they don't understand what they are telling me. Trust me, i don't know how, but when i read anything about science, it always form a clear picture in my head. My parents are still pissed i had chosen business over science, because they always thought i was gonna be a scientist.

Not once, in all of that time, did I ever see any theories to match your statement: "Space. It is used to be considered "emptiness" but now scientists are claiming it is filled with anti-matter.
                      Here:

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/aug...-of-everything

I corrected my statement before you post this. I told you i meant "dark matter" but you still trying to play "gotch ya".
                      Last edited by megas30; 10-14-2017, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X