Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cintron Remembers Steward: 'He sure was a father figure'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cintron Remembers Steward: 'He sure was a father figure'

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Not everyone gets a legendary ending.

Though he’s been celebrated in recent days for work with Hall of Famers Thomas Hearns and Lennox Lewis – not to mention a Canastota-bound talent in Wlad Klitschko – not every fighter who made contact with Emanuel Steward will be as widely remembered as the Kronk-centric trainer.

But that doesn’t mean, amid the “he’s dead/no he’s not/yes he is” hand-wringing of the more-ethical-than-thou windbags last Thursday, that those lesser heralded didn’t feel a profound loss.

Just ask Kermit Cintron.

“It was weird for me because I actually couldn’t sleep (Wednesday) night, and when I woke up (Thursday) morning I thought about him,” said the Reading, Pa.-based Cintron, who turned 33 years old three days before Steward’s death. “The first thing I looked at was one of the pics of Emanuel and I, and I said to myself that after my training session I would call him.

“I was done training and went to my office and heard my phone blowing up with calls and texts and it was all about Emanuel passing away. I felt like a Mack truck just hit me.” [Click Here To Read More]

No comments this **** made me tear up.

Comment

......Good man.

Comment

Through all this i find it interesting the insights that we are getting of him from when he was outside the gym. I didn't know he loved to cook and i didnt know that he liked fishing, which are like my two favorite things outside of boxing...

I'm going to miss hanging out with Manny on my saturday nights. I've never been affected by a "celebrity" death, but this one is different this one hurt....
        R.I.P. My Friend

When I speak to my kids or grandkids about boxing I will Never forget to Mention you.

Comment

Good words from Cintron. Very moving.

Comment

Working...
          X