No announcement yet.

Compare JMM's skills to Rafael Marquez's skills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare JMM's skills to Rafael Marquez's skills

How would you compare the two fighters in terms of overall skills? What does JMM do that is different to his brother?

I know both were trained by Nacho Beristain and fought in a similar textbook style. I think JMM was the better boxer with a better chin while Rafael was the better puncher. Both, however, were great combination and counter punchers.

JMM has smoother combinations and a more cautious style (although he's not a cutie by any means)

Rafa hits like a bus, still the same accurate puncher, but not quite as silky a combination puncher. He takes a lot more chances, too, so he scores more knockouts.

Comment

They're more or less two different variations of the same basic style. Rafael just used a more aggressive version, while JMM used a more technical version. They've come closer together in recent times, although JMM is still more counter-based and reactive. Finito was a more perfect blend between the two.

Comment

I think there skills are equal but I think Rafael's power over Juan Manuels accuracy is why Rafael was able to get clear wins while JMM was always getting robbed(Pacquiao x2, Norwood, John). So I'll take Rafa

Comment

Rafa imo is a more complete boxer than Juan Manuel, he not only has power but boxing iq, he knows just when to throw a punch and which one. JMM has gotten better at it thru the years but sometimes he still makes mistakes. Thats how he got dropped thrice against Pacquiao. Don't think that would happen to Rafa, he never got dropped more than once at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
            Rafa imo is a more complete boxer than Juan Manuel, he not only has power but boxing iq, he knows just when to throw a punch and which one. JMM has gotten better at it thru the years but sometimes he still makes mistakes. Thats how he got dropped thrice against Pacquiao. Don't think that would happen to Rafa, he never got dropped more than once at a time.
            I think that that's because JMM was sort of ambushed by Pacquiao. If Rafa faced the bantamweight equivalent, I bet he'd get dropped too. He got dropped in all three fights with Izzy, remember? Pac is a harder puncher than Izzy. His chin might be a little sturdier than Juan Manuel's, but not too much.

Comment

At this point i feel like Rafa has past his best...

They both throw great combinations out of the same stance, Juan has the smoother flowing of the two tho which is saying something! Both guys in my opinion have about the same chin and both guys can Bang although id have to say Raffy is the Premier puncher of the family, back in his Bantam weight days he was a MONSTER puncher

There really isnt much in it between these two legends

Like i said to begin with Rafael has slipped but at his best he is comparable with Juan

My favourite Boxing Brothers of All Time

Comment

I don't think Rafa had the skills that would enable him to climb through weight classes and survive and strive the way his older brother has.

Juan was more cautious and more of a counterpuncher, while Rafa was always looking to initiate. If Rafa had the same mindset as his brother, I am certain he would have had the same level of skill.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  I think that that's because JMM was sort of ambushed by Pacquiao. If Rafa faced the bantamweight equivalent, I bet he'd get dropped too. He got dropped in all three fights with Izzy, remember? Pac is a harder puncher than Izzy. His chin might be a little sturdier than Juan Manuel's, but not too much.
                  I don't agree. Pac never had the same one punch power as Izzy. And Izzy has koed some quality opponents with one punch too, like Oscar Larios. Besides Hatton, Pacman hasn't koed any quality opponent with just one punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                    I don't agree. Pac never had the same one punch power as Izzy. And Izzy has koed some quality opponents with one punch too, like Oscar Larios. Besides Hatton, Pacman hasn't koed any quality opponent with just one punch.
                    You know what? That's a good point. Izzy is a monster puncher. He was getting slapped around by Jhonny Gonzalez and just destroyed him with one uppercut. But Pacquiao has the speed and power, especially at featherweight, to blitz somebody that's not really sure what to expect. Marquez knew that Pacquiao was strong and fast at that point, having seen Barrera be torn asunder, but I don't know if he realized how strong and fast.

I don't think either Rafa or Marquez has a great chin but both guys are carved out of wood. Just sooooo damn tough. Really splitting hairs between them toughness-wise.

Comment

Working...
                    X